Photos to Identify please - Dad's lathe, accessories, other items Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos to Identify please - Dad's lathe, accessories, other items Part 2

Hmm, part 1 has disappeared on me? I was going to add this as a reply but can't find my Part 1 posting! LOL New to this forum, sorry I must have goofed somehow.

EDIT: FOUND PART 1, it is here: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...r-items-Part-1

Photo 49. Items on the table, behind the lathe. Any of this go with it, do you think?

Photo 50. Another view of things behind the lathe. I do recognize the set of files, I know they do NOT go with the lathe.

I think that is all which may be parts to go with the lathe. I also have more photos, of items which will need to move out.
    Photo 51. The shelves behind and above the lathe.

Photo 52. Someone said this looks like a rheostat? I am not at the point of actually moving things, taking things down, sorry. What do you think it is? Is it going to be of interest to someone? And if it is a rheostat, what sort of info would I include in a posting? I am thinking I will post the items on craigslist, and hope to find someone locally who wants to take one, 2, boxes, and so on. The better my descriptions get, the better the outcome for the post. Is someone going to ask me if it works? I have no way of knowing.

More photos to come!
    Last edited by Freedom2be; 03-27-2013, 12:17 AM.

Dad is quite fond of mounting things on the ceiling. This is another rheostat, or so I've been told?
    Same questions, what do I need to know about it to post an ad on craigslist?
    Photo 53.

Photo 54 - same rheostat, I did not get all of it in one photo

Photo 55. Items on shelf.

Photo 56. More shelf items.

More photos to come!

Comment

Photo 57. Shelf up in the rafters.

Photo 58. More in the rafters

Photo 59. Assorted screwdrivers hanging from rafters. Slotted and Phillips, long and short handles, some are Allen wrench type, and another group have a small ball on the end? What would those be called?

Photo 60 shows the ball end screwdriver I mentioned above.

More photos to come!

Comment

Photo 61. All sorts of items. The Dunlop metal saw I mentioned in the prior thread. It is mounted on a table with wheels. The wood cabinets in back came from my Grandfather's house when he passed; they are all FULL, as is the 4 drawer chest on the left side. WHAT am I going to do about getting all this sold and out of the cellar?

Photo 61. This Craftsman item is on the shelf below the Dunlop saw. I could not find a screw to undo the "chuck" is that the term I want? What is that on the end, a rotary sander?

Photo 64. These 2 red things are on the floor. They are HEAVY. There is a lot of stuff in front of them, I was not able to get them out and set them on a table to get the photos. Once I have moved some items off the floor around them, THEN I will be able to lift them. The angle was just too awkward to get something so heavy up.

Photo 65. Photo of full cabinet.

More photos to come!

Comment

This is a view from the entry way, of the room I need to empty. This is the left side of the room.
          Photo 6027. You can also see the cellar window the lathe has to go out through there. It is an oversized window (all 5 cellar windows are), so I have to have a window custom made and ready to go in once the lathe goes out.

This is the right side of the room, from the entryway.
          Photo 6028.

What do you think about these metal cabinets? Antiques? Collectors? Or junk?
          Photo 6029.

There are 3 of the metal cabinets, a set! lol. They are ALL STUFFED FULL.

Couple more photos coming!

Comment

One floor shot. I got tired at this point and missed a LOT of items. But I guess you get the idea, this is a PROJECT, getting this room emptied. Any ideas, help guidance, greatly appreciated.
            Photo 6031.

Comment

Lots of stuff in there but not much to identify.

In photos 49 and 50 the metal pointy objects are lathe centers and the grey block with red lever is a drum reversing switch. The drum switch you can sell seperately but the centers should go with the lathe. No idea what the other metal bits between those two items are.

Having a well-kept lathe means he would likely have had some measuring tools, like dial gauges and micrometers etc. In photo 58 there's a red box on a shelf and a blue box alongside it that look like they might contain such things, otherwise look about for what might obviously be measuring equipment.

Most of the pots on the shelves seem to be collections of screw fasteners etc - not much value in them but you might make a bit on CL.

EDIT: I see you posted a lot more pics whist I was typing. Look in the drawers of the lathe bench, it's likely that he stored lathe-related stuff in there.
              Last edited by Peter.; 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM.
              Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Can I make a (possibly sensible) suggestion? Get a few trash bins and start filling them - one for all the loose wire and cable (old ropey looking first, so the good stuff's on top and tempting if you put it out for sale rather than scrapping it), one for empty cardboard boxes, one for actual trash (empty paint cans and the like)! I have to do this in my own shed every now and then, and I *know* what everything is... Once some of the actual trash is out of the way, you'll be able to see how much easier it'll be to deal with

How likely is it that you could have a yard sale for the small (hand) tools? Take a rented van full of stuff to a bike / car fair and set up a stall? Most of the small hand tools would be worth at least a dollar each to the right person...

So, on to the pictures...

Photo 49

Sharp pointy things on the left of the shelf - lathe centres, belong with it
                far right of shelf - "drum switch" for lathe, belongs with it
                in between - no clue, might have one if I saw them separately!

52 - a rheostat or "variac" - looks like there's also a contactor and meter fitted on the panel, useful for someone experimenting with / testing electrics

53 and 54 - another one, with scary wiring - as above

55-58 - a lifetime's collection of screws and bolts etc - car/bike fair, couple of dollars a pound / couple or three dollars a box? That's well below new price, but better than junking them, and a bargain for someone who needs them.

59, 60 - see above, the ball-ended ones are also hex wrenches, known as "ball-end"...

61 - Dunlop power hacksaw - measure the blade and put the measurement in an ad if you sell it

62 - 110 volt electric drill and sanding disc, as you guessed

64 - red things look like electric motors or generators, can't see too well! Worth money if they work!

65 - radio / electronic vacuum tubes, probably best sold as a lot on ebay / craigslist, some can be quite valuable.

In the milk jugs - who knows? Be very cautious, some electrical fluids are pretty noxious!
                Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

The two red things look like motors. There's lots and lots of hammers, clamps, screwdrivers, light bulbs, screws, electrical, all sorts of "hardware". Some lathe stuff behind the lathe. It looks like he had a nice shop, but I could never work with stuff hanging over my head
                  Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

depends how you want to spend your hours and days. If you need the place cleaned out, like everything, find someone who you like/trust (or maybe trust and don't like lol) and tell them they can have the lot of it if the basement is left spotless. ....and lathe is the last thing taken out. I don't see any jewels and you'd put way to much time into selling $800 worth of stuff and still have pay "just junk" 500 to clean up the crap afterward.

like I say, depends how you want to spend your time. imo the used motor/screw driver/nut and bolt business is one to run away from.

Comment

Comment

I'm sure someone will object, but ANYTHING that looks like a container of screws, nails, that sort of thing - just dump together and take the lot to a scrap yard. Separate the brass from the rest of the materials. The motors will give good scrap value for their copper windings. Misc. metal, add to the scrap pile. Power hacksaw, easy craigslist sale. Bench vise, easy craigslist sale. Table saw, I don't know. Might get something for it if it works?

ANY bottle of solvent, chemical, oil, oil paint (as opposed to latex base), these need to be cordoned off and taken to a public hazardous waste disposal facility. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a can of asbestos something in there... there was in my parents' basement.

One thing to keep in mind, keep an eye out for nice, fitted wooden boxes. Tools in them have a much larger probability of being something valuable. For example, I see one on the shelf four pics up. What's in there?
                        Last edited by Arthur.Marks; 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks View Post
                          ANY bottle of solvent, chemical, oil, oil paint (as opposed to latex base), these need to be cordoned off and taken to a public hazardous waste disposal facility. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a can of asbestos something in there... there was in my parents' basement.
                          I helped clear a garage for the widow of a late friend. I'd bought my old Boxford back and couldn't resist having a rummage. It was slightly worrying how many partly full glass jars of petrol there were, but then near the back wall I found several Kg of Cordite!

Take your time sorting and it's not a bad idea to have a metal cabinet or drum to pile any flammables in safely.
                          Paul Compton
                          www.morini-mania.co.uk
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

I agree that there appears to be little value there except for the lathe - and even that not so much $1000 - 1200 - 1400? You will spend an inordinate amount of time with little to show for it.
                            If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                              depends how you want to spend your hours and days. If you need the place cleaned out, like everything, find someone who you like/trust (or maybe trust and don't like lol) and tell them they can have the lot of it if the basement is left spotless. ....and lathe is the last thing taken out. I don't see any jewels and you'd put way to much time into selling $800 worth of stuff and still have pay "just junk" 500 to clean up the crap afterward.

like I say, depends how you want to spend your time. imo the used motor/screw driver/nut and bolt business is one to run away from.
                              ^Best advice!

It's always sad to see a shop being cleaned out; that "junk" took a lifetime to accumulate and was used/valued by the original owner but it's not worth your time to try and "part it out". I'd hate to see it all taken to a scrap yard, but that's probably your best bet after what Mcgyver said. Maybe sell the lathe and when the buyer comes to pick it up, let him/her have their pick of associated "junk". It will probably make the buyer's day and it will help you get a lot of stuff cleared out.

Some of the more obvious things you could put on Craigslist to sell, too. E.g., a set of box wrenches etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X