Monarch model C ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monarch model C ?

There is a lathe on my local CL for a Monarch model C what do you know about them? I would like an upgrade to my current Jet 1340. What type drive does this machine have I asked the seller over the phone but he did not know it is owned by a company and he placed the add to sell it. He thought it was a 50's era lathe. Here is a picture I copied off CL.

Thanks Mike

looks like a gear head lathe to me.....ie motor - belt - gearbox. the 10ee have the tricky drive because they want to have no gears connected to the spindle and the infinitely variable speed. if there is little wear that would be a heck of a nice upgrade!

Comment

that is the Toolroom model of that size lathe. It has the carriage reverse lever on the carriage, Taper Attatchment, quick change with the finer threads per inch, and quick Tailstock lockdown lever . Great lathe.

Comment

Agreed - great lathe. Add "Flame Hardened Bed" to the feature list.

Comment

If you are doing some gunsmithing with it (tapering barrels for instance), the bed might be too short for you.

Besides, that, a very heavy, sturdy lathe.

Does this one have the powered third axis on the carriage?
          VitŮŽria, Brazil

Comment

Monarchs are a HEAVY DUTY Precision lathe that were built to run 24/7 .
            As Mcgyver said an electric motor and gear box. You might need a VFD if its 3 phase.

For more info. go over to the Practical Machinist web site, they have a Monarch section.

Hal

Comment

Originally posted by gundog View Post
              There is a lathe on my local CL for a Monarch model C what do you know about them? I would like an upgrade to my current Jet 1340. What type drive does this machine have I asked the seller over the phone but he did not know it is owned by a company and he placed the add to sell it. He thought it was a 50's era lathe. Here is a picture I copied off CL.
              Thanks Mike
              Not exactly sure, but I don't think the lathe in the photo is a Model C.

The Model C that I know about had the large levers on the headstock and were usually a slower speed range. A little noisy, but good machines.

I think the photo is of a 60 series (60,61??), which I believe was the seies that replaced the C. If so, good for you as it would be a newer machine, most likely with higher spindle speeds.

Dave

Comment

Looks like it has either a Jacobs or Sjogren collet chuck with it, excellent for holding work concentric without marking, are there collets with it? - either would be spendy...
                Also, does it come with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, steadies, spindle taper adaptor for live centre etc?
                Otherwise... An excellent.lathe if it's not worn out and all works!

Dave H. (the other one)
                Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Don't you have more info? Appears to be a 12 X 30 lathe-actual swing 14.5 inches. D-1-6 spindle nose. Approximately 5HP 230/460V motor. Speed range approximately 20-1000RPM. Weight around 3500#. Spindle hole + or - 1.625". Flame hardened bed. I don't like the look of the shift lever hanging straight down. The tag near the spindle nose will show catalog size, actual swing, distance between centers, date of mfr. From the number of head stock levers I'm guessing 16 speeds. The chart will show you for sure. Threads and feeds probably around 60. The plaque will show you for sure. One of the finest lathes available. If the gears are all right I'd take a chance. I think that's a Sjogren chuck-about 1.375 capacity. Collets are expensive. Doesn't appear to have had a rattle can rebuild.
                  Larry on Lake Superior

Comment

That is a Series 60/61 Monarch lathe. 16 speed geared head. Depending on size, that lathe weighs 5000 LBS plus. The Series 60/61 are fantastic machines and will be hard to beat by any maker.
                    I'm attaching a link that was gone through in great detail.
                    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ew-toy-163406/
                    BTW, the C series preceded that model. Judging by the size of the TS spindle, I think it's the 13" size X 30" centers.
                    Harry
                    Last edited by beckley23; 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I found the original CL ad and it's a helluva deal for that asking price, unless some major is broken or it's worn out. I'd be like a duck on a June bug if it were closer.

Comment

I have been thinking of getting a Haas TL1 but this one is tempting me. I would like to replace the Jet but timing is not good right now. The thing is I could probably get almost the asking price of this one for my Jet. If he still has it next week I will go have a look.

I make a part for my business with the Jet and I have a DRO on that machine I would need to have a DRO for the lathe to make that part efficiently I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a DRO to the Monarch?

If I wait and get the Haas TL1 I also gain the CNC capability but at a much higher price used a TL1 starts around $18000.

Mike
                        Last edited by gundog; 03-30-2013, 01:32 AM.

Comment

A DRO would be no more difficult to install on the Monarch than any similarly sized lathe, only possible obstacle could be working around the taper attachment.

DON'T leave it until next week, go see it NOW, if it's any good it'll be gone pretty soon...

Dave H. (the other one):
                          Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Hi,

As fantastic as that machine appears, from a straight up business view point. If you are serious about making a living from chips, and are already considering a CNC type machine, forget the Monarch and continue your quest for the Haas. Remember, this is a business decision, not a hobby.

The CNC will give you capabilities and the speed to achieve them that a manual machine can't. The only way I would purchase the Monarch would be if I can buy it dirt cheap and then flip it for obscene profit. To advance my goal of getting a CNC.

dalee
                            If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

That's a fantastic machine. However given its a business decision I could see passing and using the funds for the Hass. I can also see just how hard it would be to pass and would be very tempted to buy it "just because".

If you pass on this one there is this as a back up purchase. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...665469812.html

Comment

Working...
                              X