Can this drill press be saved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this drill press be saved?

I've been eyeballing this old Cincinnati camelback drill press for a while now, but it looks like the spindle is severely bent.
    Look at the last photo, which is a straight-shot from the front of the machine. YIKES!!
    It appears that someone dropped it, and bent the spindle very badly.
    Can this be repaired, or replaced fairly easily?
    Anyone with old drill press restoration advice?
    I'm tempted..........
    Camelback Drill Press

Anything can be saved; it's a matter of time, effort, and money. How long is the shaft, and are you prepared to make a new one? I would wonder if there's damage to the casting enclosing the spindle.

Comment

It also looks like the spindle slide support casting ?? is broken off from the dovetail.

Comment

Yep, looks dropped to me.
        The bent spindle could be replaced, but
        broken lower arbor support would be a deal
        killer to me.
        I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
        Scott

Comment

Oh yeah,
          I just noticed the broken slide/support with the chain attached.
          It does look like that thing should be riding on the dovetail, doesn't it?
          OOPS!!

Comment

Are the broken pieces of the casting available?

Comment

Looking at the blokes yard looks as though what he has is like that.
              Unless you prepared to spend way longer than the machine is worth stay clear.
              Also if its been over looking at how bad that is its not just fell over, more like its fallen off something, or maybe something on a crane or fork lif thas rammed it, if so there could be fractures you cant see that will cause bits to fall off when you start using it.
              Build it, bodge it, but dont buy it.

Comment

A whole lota work there. The broken lower arbor support would probably be more difficult to repair than the spindle as the spindle can be made from round stock. Offer $50 and see what happens.

Comment

How bad do you want a drill? What are you prepared to spend in time and money to get it?

1.) Yes, the spindle is bent. But it's there so you've got an easy way to get the dimensions to make a new one.

2.) Yes, the casting is broke. If the pieces are there, it could be brazed, welded, etc. If the pieces aren't there, you can still make a new piece from steel. It won't be "original", but it will work. Depends how committed you are to the term "restoration".

There likely isn't too much else wrong with it. After all, the seller showed close-ups of the bent spindle and broke casting. He's not trying to hide them...

Andrew

Comment

Bent spindle and looks like broken cast iron at two locations. Keep looking, you could probably find a near 100 percent complete camel back in the $400 - $600 range, maybe less. Money much better spent than trying to repair this one.
                    Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

It would prolly make a very stout mailbox post.

Rex

Comment

It would prolly make a very stout mailbox post.
                        HAHAHAHA
                        You read my mind.
                        If it can't be restored, then bolt a mailbox to the table.

Comment

It should be restored it's a classic.
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by goose View Post
                            you could probably find a near 100 percent complete camel back in the $400 - $600 range, maybe less.
                            Do these really go for that much? I wouldn't think that one with a good spindle and non cracked casting would be much more than $75.

Comment

Thew way the casting is broke it looks easy to flatten out, drill tap and bolt a new piece on to finish off the dove tail.
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X