Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much threading info would you need and how much is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much threading info would you need and how much is too much?

Basically working on "Threads" section of my calculator right now.
    The question that is bothering me now is how much info is necessary.

1)What kind of threads (besides UNC/UNF/ISO) i should include?

2)Should i move Drill/Tap chart to a different page, so that threading info does not distract user when he only wants to find a tap drill size for his thread and vise-verse?

3)What else you personally would like to see added or gone if you were the user?

Any feedback is appreciated.

FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

I'd add Acme threads.

Comment

1) As many as you can stand, I suppose. I, for example, would be able to make good use of the relatively obscure NH/NST, NPSH, and others. Specials would be wonderful too.

2) Yes.

3) The ability to print out charts and data is always good. 'Help' pages that explain input requirements, abbreviations, etc, can be extremely useful - depending on the subject and users knowledge level.

Comment

BSW/BSF and BA would be useful,
        Bill

Comment

Thanks!
          If UN and ISO are most common in north America, what is in UK?

Weird nobody suggested NPT yet which I will add too.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero_Divide View Post
            Thanks!
            If UN and ISO are most common in north America, what is in UK?
            I think it would depend who you ask. For anything designed and built in the last 30+ years then the metric threads will be most important, i.e ISO Metric Coarse, ISO Metric Fine and the metric special pitches, in that order of importance. For your application, most people would refer to ordinary metric threads in the form 'M10' or similar, so it may be worth showing them that way in your tab.

If you ask people who need to maintain older equipment then the BSW/BSF series is important. I would fall into both these groups as would many others.

Model makers would want BA threads and possibly a few others.
            Bill

Comment

Zero, looking at the page you have loads of information but the last three lines of V hight etc are useless to someone like me I have no control over these and can't do anything with them anyway.

The main dimension I want is missing or not clearly marked in that there is no box that says "TAPPING SIZE"

As regards things to add, tapping sizes at thread % would be nice and colour coded with the accepted range central in say green and the further you go out of range in both directions up to 1005 and down to say 50% are banded so as you move between threads experience of the tables tell you what colour to choose.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

OT on Programing question. Can you PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by willmac View Post

Model makers would want BA threads and possibly a few others.
                  There are the "Model Engineer" series of threads to the are still used.
                  The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                    Zero, looking at the page you have loads of information but the last three lines of V hight etc are useless to someone like me I have no control over these and can't do anything with them anyway.

The main dimension I want is missing or not clearly marked in that there is no box that says "TAPPING SIZE"

As regards things to add, tapping sizes at thread % would be nice and colour coded with the accepted range central in say green and the further you go out of range in both directions up to 1005 and down to say 50% are banded so as you move between threads experience of the tables tell you what colour to choose.
                    I will add a box for 75% thread to the threading info box.
                    What is usual way of measuring percentage though?
                    Should I go by theoretical thread minor dia, or already truncated as per specs?

Comment

Do you have the usual 6g/6H tolerances there?

Edit: And just for sh*t and giggles, put in Edison threads
                      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

It would actually be nice to know the Edison threads. I have a friend that needs adapters for about a dozen E12 fixtures to E14. Very hard to find.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
                          Do you have the usual 6g/6H tolerances there?

Edit: And just for sh*t and giggles, put in Edison threads
                          Yes currently I have 2 fit classes for both UN and ISO threads that should be enough.
                          C'mon I am not gonna add something for giggles unless it's very easy.
                          And adding threads ain't easy. Alot of research and typing involved.

Comment

British Cycle threads.

Metric up to and including at least 39mm x 4mm - the spindle thread on Lorch and early Maximats.

The less than 2mm threads for the pointers on DIs and DTIs.

Trapezoidal (metric ACME) are slightly different from ACME threads. As far as I can tell, there is still disagreement about where the clearance should be.

Camera lens filter threads, and eyepiece threads.

There is no end to this, once you start. I wish you good luck.
                            Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

I have just released the latest update with a page dedicated to Threading.

Full blown tapping and drilling charts to follow.

Right now only ISO/UN threads are available, but i will expand that list as i go forward.
                              Besides that many bugs were fixed as well, so if something was bugging you before, chances are it has been fixed

Thank you guys for suggestions.
                              Many of them i could not implement, but as you see some are there

Comment

Working...
                              X