Coal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coal

I just was given about 100 lbs of the highest quality anthracite forge coal. Now what do I do with it?

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Save it for December 24th?

Comment

Pressure, lots of it. Wait!

Share with me.
      Paul A.

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Build a forge, of course!

Comment

Simple ...... put it on Ebay (i piece at a time) and call it "rare, valuable prehistoric fossiles", keep the price low (about $20.00 a piece) and jack up the shipping to Cost + $50.00 handling fee.

Comment

Should be good for box hardening. A bit expensive to ship Paul but you are welcome to drop by and have some.

Comment

Coal, wow! I spent all but the first 4 years of my entire working career doing maintenance for coal mines and that first 4 was spent in the mines working as a miner (scoop operator). Now I still buy 4 tons a year of the stuff (Bituminous however) to heat my farm house with. I have a few hundred ponds of Cannel coal (Candle coal to some) that I stowed away several years ago to use in a forge which I never got around to building.

Comment

pretty well in monetery terms worthless too smal a quantity other than to make a few burgers smokin or what it will probably eat through your grill though LOL Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

The friend that gave it to me works up at Tumbler Ridge mine in a fairly high position but he still had to sign a release and promise that it would not be used in any coal burning appliance such as a coal stove. The worry is that it will eat through an ordinary iron stove in short order because of the temperature it generates. Coal is basically unavailable here. Nobody uses coal for heating as we have enough natural gas to last until the 30th century.

Comment

Years ago I worked in a blacksmith shop and we only used bituminous coal. I do not believe anthracite is your best choice.

Comment

We shall see if I even build any sort of forge. It will certainly work well for hardening.

Comment

I believe the live steam boys use anthracite coal, not sure, but unless you can get more, 100# isn't going to last long in a forge and then you have made something that can't be used again.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazz View Post
                          Years ago I worked in a blacksmith shop and we only used bituminous coal. I do not believe anthracite is your best choice.
                          Yup, smiths prefer metallurgical grade (i.e., low sulfur) bituminous. The hard coal has higher btu content, but it doesn't coke well, but it's excellent for heating.
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I did some looking and I can order coal by the hundred weight from a local hardware store. Don't know the price though. From cruising a few blacksmith forums I find it is liked for the very high temperature and exceptionally clean burning. I want it for fueling a melting pot for aluminum rather than an actual forge so heat and clean is good. I don't have the arm strength to swing a hammer at all, not even for nails.

Comment

You can always get Rosanne Barr to sit on the coal, with that kind of pressure you'll get diamonds in no time.
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Working...
                              X