Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly vs Percision Mathews

Looking for peoples opinions
    I'm ready to buy a new lathe and have narrowed my chooses to a 14X40 Grizzly G0709 gunsmiths lathe or the Precision Mathews PM1440E, the specs and prices are very close to the same for both machines. The PM1440E is $4995 with a Easson dro installed including shipping, the Grizzly is $4750 with shipping and Dropro has the Easson dro for $500 but I would have to install which is not a deal breaker. Any input on which is the better machine, they are within $250 of each other I want to buy the better one.
    Buddy Boudreaux

I like my Grizzly. I have that exact model. Had it a little over a year. No issues to speak of. I have no experience with the other product.

HTH,

doug

Comment

Lathe all same factory, paint different color. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Some times you get real lucky and all the parts come without extra sand and mounted in a rigid formation.

Comment

I can't tell you which is the better machine, but I can tell you that I bought both a Precision Matthews lathe and also a mill about a year ago and have been very satisfied with both machines, as well as with the company (Quality Machine Tools). I, too, was trying to decide between Grizzly (G4003G) and Precision Matthews (PM1236). Not having compared the two machines in actual use, I can't say that the PM machine is any better than the Grizzly, and I suspect they are fairly similar in terms of build-quality and reliability. I had heard such good things about customer service from Quality Machine Tools that I decided to go with them and have been happy with that decision. I don't think you will go wrong whichever you decide on.

One thing you might check on with both Grizzly and PM is whether the machines are actually in stock and available for shipment. Sometimes certain machines get backlogged and you wind up waiting months for them.

Comment

I would go the grizzly, I have read where people got a PM lathe with damage and got no help, on the other hand I have read where people have had trouble with there machine from Grizzly and where sent new parts no problems.
          Grizzly is a lot larger company, you might even have to wait for the PM lathe to arrive as he sells a lot and then orders. On another forum I have read where guys have waited up 8 months for a PM lathe.
          There was a member here a while back that posted photos of his new PM lathe, then something went wrong and the pictures where pulled, not sure what the problem was.

Dave

Comment

Buy the one you like the colour of, 14x40 is big enough for you to have some confidence that it is manufactured, fitted and assembled with expectation that it would be going to an informed end user.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo J View Post
              I would go the grizzly, I have read where people got a PM lathe with damage and got no help, on the other hand I have read where people have had trouble with there machine from Grizzly and where sent new parts no problems.
              Grizzly is a lot larger company, you might even have to wait for the PM lathe to arrive as he sells a lot and then orders. On another forum I have read where guys have waited up 8 months for a PM lathe.
              There was a member here a while back that posted photos of his new PM lathe, then something went wrong and the pictures where pulled, not sure what the problem was.

Dave
              Unfortunately, the waters are quite murky - people wait for Grizzly products, too - and there are examples of discontinued Grizzly products (such as the RF45 mill) where the parts inventory is not maintained.

I have Grizz equipment, my son has PM equipment: we are both generally satisfied, within the limitations of the import machine-tool delivery channel.

Comment

You can get the PM in a "large bore" model. Something like 2" through the spindle.

Comment

There are a few guys on the CandlepowerForums "Mechanical& Machining" forum that have owned multiple import lathes including the PM ones and can tell you all about how they compare http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ing-Discussion is the link, but I think you have to register as a member before it will let you see that forum.

PM machinery seems to be quite popular over there.

Comment

Well the lathe I bought about 6 years ago was a PM (PM1027) and I have yet to have an issue with it (not counting issues I have created myself lol). Went to the QMT site one day and saw it, ordered it, and it was shipped and arrived in about the time they stated (was held in Canada Customs for 4 days because they are idiots, and anything packed in a wooden crate is seen as contraban). Brokers shipper showed up and unloaded it right at my garage door, in a nice quality "weapons crate".

Since then it lives in my garage (which is only heated when im out there, which is really only been this year) and has held up well. Yea, would be better to keep it in a nice heated environment, but thats not going to happen, it gets cold here and I dont pay to heat empty spaces).

Would buy one again (only next time it would be a larger one)

Comment

Matt, from Quality used to spend some time on the machining forums, and I always got the impression that he went the extra mile to satisfy his customers. No personal experience, and I haven't seen him on lately, he probably got too busy.
                      James

Comment

Originally posted by boudreaux View Post
                        Looking for peoples opinions

Buddy Boudreaux

Kinda like choosing betwixt a Yugo and a Trabant.

As mentioned, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Rex

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
                          You can get the PM in a "large bore" model. Something like 2" through the spindle.
                          This is true ( 2" ), mine was delivered a little over two weeks ago. PM1440E-LB (LB = Large Bore)

Ive been in the machining trade for around 15 years (CNC lathes) and have been looking for a basement lathe for a few years. The PM1440E-LB was the only lathe with the bigger spindle bore in a price range i wanted to spend, all the rest where around 1-9/16. I talked with Matt (PM owner) for a couple months via e-mails (he seams to be a great guy) and decided on the PM1440e-LB.

Ive made a number of small things so far (only have had the lathe for two weeks) and im very happy.
                          In mild steel with a CCMT or DCMT (size 2) style insert it will take a .100 DOC (depth of cut) spinning around 1200 and feeding at .006ish and you can here the 3PH motor working, but it is not bogged down at all (im sure with more tooling it could go more). Did some knurling in different types of material; lead-loid, 420 stainless and 303 (i think) and it did not flinch.

Im alittle disappointed in the tail stock, could be alittle more beefy for a lathe this size (which seams par for the course with all manufactures), but i could also be used to the larger tail-stocks they have at work on the bigger (22x60) manuals i jump on from time to time.

So far the machine is very consistent which is probably the most important thing to me...
                          The four jaw chuck worked good, have not used the face plate yet.

I own a couple Grizzle machines, G690 table saw and a 17" wood working bandsaw... some time next year i would like to get a Bench top Mill and it will be a really tough choice between a PM or a Grizzle... Only time will tell with the PM lathe, ive have the Grizzle tables aw for a couple years so i know how well its held up, gonna have to wait and see with the PM. The only thing which made me hesitant with buying the PM is the size of Grizzle, they are a much bigger company and more then likely they will be in business 10-15 years down the line (if i ever needed a part for the machine) which smaller companies like Quality Machine Tool could not. But then again, most of these smaller import lathes probably have very simulare parts in them if not exactly the same size parts in them.

Anyway...
                          As of now, with the time ive cut stuff on the PM and my experience in the trade, i do not regret the purchase at all, i could not be happier and Matt has been great to work with... I asked him tons of questions before buying the machine and he always got back to me.

_
                          ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
                          http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

I ordered a PM1440E with 2 axis DRO today, this seemed to me like the best deal for my needs or wants I guess I should say. Matt says he has it in stock, going to mount the DRO an probably ship it out Friday. I sold my Atlas 12x36 last week, I'm anxious to get set up.
                            Buddy

Comment

Originally posted by boudreaux View Post
                              I ordered a PM1440E with 2 axis DRO today, this seemed to me like the best deal for my needs or wants I guess I should say. Matt says he has it in stock, going to mount the DRO an probably ship it out Friday. I sold my Atlas 12x36 last week, I'm anxious to get set up.
                              Buddy
                              Best of luck, im sure you will be happy.

That DRO is pretty nice... the one he shipped on my lathe was actualy for a mill and has the "199 Reference or Sub Datum (SDM) Points" which is nice.. I use it for tools. I set all my OD tools (thread, turning, cut-off, groove, etc) to the same exact lengh in there holders so once i have one Zeroed out in the DRO they all are set (in the 'X' anyway), then if i have to use a boring bar or ID groove bar, i just change the "SDM" to another tool number (OD tools = 1 ID tool = 10) and zero that out and can keep changing back and forth with out a problem and dont have to keep resting Zero... as long as i dont mess with the compund... The other day i did something wich i used two boreing bars for and use tool "10" and "20" and it was great when i finished one part and started to make the second... I found this very handy and like it alot.

Anyway, again... good luck...

_
                              ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
                              http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

Working...
                              X