OT: Internet Explorer Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Internet Explorer Choices

Let me start by stating that I only want to discuss about Internet Explorer ONLY!

I like IE and have tried the other browsers , only to return back to IE. I DON’T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THE OTHERS!

That being said, I recently performed the periodic security upgrades on Windows 7 Professional and noticed that there was two optional upgrades available for Internet Explorer, version 9 &10. I am currently running IE 8, 64-bit.

My question is this: Which version should I go to, 9, or just skip it and go right to 10?

Thanks in advance for your advise.
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.

Personally, I'd go with IE10, at least you'll have the latest code base.

I've used it casually since it was released a couple of weeks ago, and other than the slight GUI changes, I haven't noticed much of a difference. Lack of an Ad Blocker is a dealbreaker for me...

As far as your choice of browser, you're not alone

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

When I was in the nerd business, I NEVER let my clients buy "serial number 1" of any software. I would wait for a couple of upgrades came around and then test it. The exception was Windows. I would wait for the whole number up grades, ignoring the decimal numbered upgrades. Version 1.9.9.9 wasn't ready for my clients.

Pops

Comment

I have IE9 on W7pro. It works. I mostly use another browser, but I won't tell you what because you don't want to hear about other browsers. Anyway, I would upgrade from IE8.

I didn't realize IE10 was now available for W7. I may give it a try. Can you install an earlier version of IE than the one currently installed, in case you want to return to an earlier version?
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Originally posted by SGW View Post
          Can you install an earlier version of IE than the one currently installed, in case you want to return to an earlier version?
          I'm looking at Control Panel->Programs and it doesn't look like it. If you want the option to go back to a previous version, do a System Restore Point.
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

SO - if there is a better choice you don't want to have anything to do with it? Okay. But no using IE is also an IE choice.

Comment

I normally use another browser, but recently upgraded to IE10 for the sites that only like IE, and found it has a surprising speed boost from IE8.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
                I'm looking at Control Panel->Programs and it doesn't look like it. If you want the option to go back to a previous version, do a System Restore Point.
                IE10 is installed as an update. Go to Installed Updates and uninstall it there. Windows will revert back to the previous version.

Comment

My IT department is of the opinion that the newest version is the one to use. They usually wait a few months (sometimes up to a year) for the bugs to be cleaned out.

The chart in post #2 does not represent choice... IE (and Bing) is installed by default on all PCs that run windows. The user who is barely computer literate will not download and learn to use another browser.

Case in point... 3 out of my 5 neighbors are not aware that they have a choice available. One of those 5 is using apple.

Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
                    Personally, I'd go with IE10, at least you'll have the latest code base.

I've used it casually since it was released a couple of weeks ago, and other than the slight GUI changes, I haven't noticed much of a difference. Lack of an Ad Blocker is a dealbreaker for me...
                    Explorer 9 and 10 have full ad blockers a built in. They call it "tracking protection" (Tools->manage add ons-> tracking protection) which is weird as in addition to "tracking protection" it's a full adblocker. I haven't seen an ad on this or most other sites for a long time You can use the TPL's used by "adblocker" or many others.

Youll need Win7 service pack 1 before you can download IE10. I'm using 9 on most of my machine. One has 10 and it's been solid and fast, so I'll be moving the other machines to 10 soon.

To answer to usual "it can't be any good if it's from Microsoft" guys, try 9 or 10... both are superb.
                    Last edited by lakeside53; 04-02-2013, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                      IE10 is installed as an update. Go to Installed Updates and uninstall it there. Windows will revert back to the previous version.
                      Yep, you're right Ken -- thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                        Explorer 9 and 10 have full ad blockers a built in. They call it "tracking protection" (Tools->manage add ons-> tracking protection) which is weird as in addition to "tracking protection" it's a full adblocker. I haven't seen an ad on this or most other sites for a long time You can use the TPL's used by "adblocker" or many others.
                        Well I'll be danged! Thanks Andy!

http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists

I just tried it, works a charm! IE10 does seems a tad faster than Chrome 26.xxx

Comment

Might want to have a look at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/for...ernet-Explorer

Comment

And, there is this one.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...7-308998.shtml

Pops

Comment

That's based on pre-release "preview" (not even a "release candidate" in MS speak) software last November. I'm finding the current release to be rock solid.
                              Last edited by lakeside53; 04-04-2013, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X