Time to build a sloting tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to build a sloting tool

I’ve been thinking about building a key slotting tool for may lathe.
    I cut a T slot on the far side of the cross slide to mount other things. I would Like to use it but I haven’t seen any plans out there to work from. Ialso have a Bridgeport and could use it too.
    Just looking for inputs and thoughts before I go down this path or reinventing the wheel.

Would like to have something that I don’t have to been the force to do the cutting.

Let me know.

bump
    Is there info out there?

Comment

I have one for you

Originally posted by outlawspeeder View Post
      bump
      Is there info out there?
      You mean you want a key way cutting tool for your lathe. I got one you can adapt to any lathe. Send me your e-mail i have a problem transferring files pic here
      GEP

Comment

Here a link to Mr Ishumiras version of one - and its a very nice one to! (as is all of his neat gadgets/gizmos)

http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/sl...ing_tool-e.htm

This is my version of his, I've cut several gears keyways with it - works nicely

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

The one i have has more travel

Comment

put this in your toolpost.

Comment

Personally, I don't see the need to make a special tool for slotting.
              I just use a boring bar with a square bit, and crank the saddle in & out by hand. Advancing the cross feed about .003-.005 per stroke.
              Works for me.

Comment

Hmm. Just thinking here.

It's PITA to crank the carriage back and forth a hundred times to cut a keyway.

How about a lever operated slotter tool you could mount in a QCTP? It take a couple hundred lb thrust for a 1/4 wide slotter tool so you'll have to clamp the carriage and the lever will need 10:1 or more mechanical advantage.

Gotta think about it.

Maybe - rack and pinion.

Adding: OH! Oops! Hey Mr Addy, read the posts before you blurt out what was already covered - with pictures. Sheesh! OK, if anyone wants me, I'll be out in the ass-kicking machine for a while.
                Last edited by Forrest Addy; 04-03-2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

See here: http://metalshopborealis.ca/
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I built a tool to do both engraving marks and keyway slotting and for use with a QCTP. Here's the whole thing set for engraving a dial. The turret stop give me different stroke lengths but is dismounted for slotting. The thing can also be reassembled different ways for transverse, longitudinal etc.

The tooling in the end can be interchanged for various cutters like these.

"People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

@ GEP
                      Sent

@TGTool
                      What is the cutting length? My current problem is a slot in a 5/8 hole that is 2.25 deep. I don’t mind doing it in stages.

Comment

I'd have to check but not that long by any account. Doing length in stages presents problems. I've cut a keyway in a longer ID by drilling a crosshole to provide a place to break the chips but I can see some problems coming up. OTOH it's a matter of scale, so knowing what stroke length is required would allow re-engineering for a different stroke. Still, 2.25" internal ...

Originally posted by outlawspeeder View Post

@TGTool
                        What is the cutting length? My current problem is a slot in a 5/8 hole that is 2.25 deep. I don’t mind doing it in stages.
                        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Extending from the "wind the carriage back and forth", I'm thinking of using a truck wiper motor and quick-return arm like in a shaper mounted on the lathe bed with an arm attached to the carriage... The top end of the quick-return arm could be slotted to vary the stroke, as could the radius of the drive pin on the wiper motor, and it would save a lot of elbow grease...

Another possibility would be driving the leadscrew or feedshaft with an electric motor, with limit switches to reverse the motion, a bit like the electric reverse on some Monarch 10ee's...?

Either way, once running all one would have to do is put on the cut and index the work if required - as it happens, I have a project in mind that needs 120+ tooth internal gears and.the prospect of that much spinning wheels is putting me off!

Dave H. (the other one)
                          Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Working...
                          X