Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost free 5c collets,did I learn a lesson.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
    If you use USPS, insisting on delivery confirmation removes one potential problem. Only $0.75 extra.
    No it doesn't. Besides my 2 sons there are only 1 other in our one light town with my last name. Over the last 2 years I've lost about 20 items. Due to my mobility issues I buy mostly on line. I had 50# of coffee beans "delivery confirmed" from Amazon. This time I had had enough & tried to get to the bottom of it with the PostMaster. Turns out it was a sub who descibed the wrong house & claimed we had 2 mailboxws together, which we don't. We live on a farm on a corner with only 1 other house on our mile of road. I must say Amazon replaced it n/c but that deliver conformation is BS. In fact I paid $50 to a member on here for dies & punches I never got, but when he said he sent them I knew he did, I just didn't get them.Not his fault just the government helping us some more
    Last edited by flylo; 04-04-2013, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Easy solution to this.
      Everyone who bought from him post here thanking him. That will narrow it down.

Comment

I didn't take advantage of miners offer on the 5c collets but I did get a bunch of other collets from him for free and am very grateful for his generous offer. I sent the shipping money the next day and am pretty sure he got it. I also plan to pass along some spares as there were several duplicates. Hopefully things work out for all concerned.

Like my dad used to say often, "no good deed goes unpunished".

Brian
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

One person emailed me with an apology for being late.
          Not a peep from the last one.
          Don't turn this into a bunch of finger pointing.
          It always goes bad and somebody gets hurt.

I do need to apologize to Mr. Hidley.
          I made up eight boxes,went to the post office to mail them. I started slapping on labels and realized there were nine labels.
          I screwed up and counted wrong.
          Mr. Hidleys was the extra label and I was not going to go home and repackage everything.
          I sent him a pm explaining and an apology.
          No Mr. Hidley,you are not a deadbeat and I am sorry you took offense.

Comment

Maybe the OP could refresh those of us who don't know exactly what he's talking about.

Was there an understanding the recipient would pay for the collets & shipping? What if the collets were trash?

I got into a really nasty situation with a freebie a few years ago. I asked to buy a part for my machine on a woodworking forum. Another member responded that he had the part and would give it to me, totally free. He sent it FEDX 2nd day along with some stuff I told him I didn't need/want. Worst of all, the part I wanted wasn't for my USA-made machine, it was off a Chinese clone. I refused to pay the $100+ shipping since the part wasn't right and the majority of the shipping weight was for the parts I had clearly told him I did not want. I had fully intended to pay him both for the part plus shipping. He took the issue to the forum and raised such a stink I believe he was banned. I donated the shipping amount to the forum's fund. It still was a mess. It's probably best to let the matter go.
            '

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
              I asked to buy a part for my machine on a woodworking forum. Another member responded that he had the part and would give it to me, totally free. He sent it FEDX 2nd day along with some stuff I told him I didn't need/want. Worst of all, the part I wanted wasn't for my USA-made machine, it was off a Chinese clone. I refused to pay the $100+ shipping since the part wasn't right and the majority of the shipping weight was for the parts I had clearly told him I did not want. I had fully intended to pay him both for the part plus shipping. He took the issue to the forum and raised such a stink I believe he was banned. I donated the shipping amount to the forum's fund. It still was a mess.
              '
              H-mmm... I'd, probably, donate $100 to the person who paid the money out of his pocket. IMHO, if I agree on a free deal, I should bear some responsibility for my decision. But, of course, it's only IMHO.

Originally posted by DR View Post
              It's probably best to let the matter go.
              I completely agree. Most likely, there is a good explanations of why the person keeps silent. It's hard to imagine that we have such a low life among us. Maybe he got sick, simply forgot or something else. Anyway, I'd be willing to chip in to compensate for the lost revenue for the OP. No problem at all. You have my e-mail.
              Last edited by MichaelP; 04-05-2013, 02:26 AM.
              Mike
              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
                I will pm the eight today.
                I didn't think this out when I posted.
                Didn't mean to ruffle feathers,sorry.
                Hopefully they are late or something came up.
                As far as publishing names...I am not about to start a mudslinging fest.
                That is beneath me and I hope you as well.
                Besides my scrapper friend has given me so much other stuff for free. It won't break me.
                Sounds like a crock to me. When you say you didn't mean to ruffle feathers and you are not about to start a mudslinging fest then why start this thread at all. It is obvious you wanted to embarrass the deadbeats into paying up which is fine but don't now go all mightier than thou on us.

Gotta love people that start a fight but don't have the balls to see it through.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I suspect that more than one person paid much more than shipping plus $1 per collet. That should help .

Dan
                  Last edited by danlb; 04-05-2013, 03:03 PM.
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                    I had 50# of coffee beans "delivery confirmed" from Amazon.
                    I must say Amazon replaced it n/c but that deliver conformation is BS. In fact I paid $50 to a member on here for dies & punches I never got, but when he said he sent them I knew he did, I just didn't get them.
                    Not his fault just the government helping us some more
                    I can confirm that Delivery Confirmation is bullsh!t. Some Postmen are lazy bastards, and will "sign" for you so they can get the package off their hands. Yes, it's illegal, but works out OK if they actually deliver the item. The problem is when they don't, or deliver the box to the wrong address, and all kinds of finger pointing happens.

I bought $100 worth of camcorder batteries from an Ebay seller. 100% feedback. After 2 weeks, I indicate I hadn't received the batteries, but the seller is puzzled, because he has a delivery confirmation with "my" signature on it. I call the local Postmaster, and ask what the Hell, and they immediately forward me to the national 800 number, which is a voicemail. So I show up in person at the Post Office, and they "look up" the transaction: my carrier had recorded that I signed for the package. We were on vacation for 2 weeks, and had a hold on mail during that period.

On a whim, I went back to our communal mail box cluster, and started flipping through the package delivery boxes, and noticed that the master key was left in one of the boxes. I opened it up, and there are my batteries, in the wrong box. They had been sitting there, unlocked, with a Postal master key, for 2 weeks.

I brought everything back to the Post Office, and they didn't want to hear anything about it. It was a damn good thing the Ebay seller was cool about it -- if I was the seller, I would have assumed that Delivery Confirmation actually worked, and that the buyer (me!) was trying to cheat him.

Every time I've posted this story, I get tons of replies and PM's that it's happened to them too -- it's not an isolated incident.
                    Last edited by lazlo; 04-05-2013, 03:23 PM.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I wonder if you insured the package for, say, $10,000 and requested a signature they would be more particular.
                      ----------
                      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Originally posted by SGW View Post
                        I wonder if you insured the package for, say, $10,000 and requested a signature they would be more particular.
                        Nope, easier to contest the value if a problem comes up.

That's what the UPS business model says to do...... the recipient isn't who paid the money, so they are nothing to you......
                        3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

As a recipient of a box of collets (1 of 8) and having the insight of email back and forth with 1-800miner, I can attest that there is no crock …ruffled feathers…or mud to sling….and no intent on an internet fight…

As was stated in a previous thread...no good deed goes unpunished…
                          Joe

Comment

If you want it to get there quick don't send it registered. I bought a plane subject to inspection, hired a a pilot, sent the pilot the cert check made out to the owner so the pilot who was an A&P could inspect it pay the seller & fly it back. It took 3 weeks to get the check from SW Michigan to Missouri because I send it registered which I learned means everyone who touches it has to sign it. What a PITA that was, pilot ready to go, seller thinking I scammed him. I sent everyone copies & the old post master even called them. I learned a lesson.
                            Last edited by flylo; 04-05-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

And on UPS, They broke 5 things in a row & 1 was a chainsaw! The sellers turned in 5 claims & they never came & saw 1. I have the best luck with Fed-Ex.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                                H-mmm... I'd, probably, donate $100 to the person who paid the money out of his pocket. IMHO, if I agree on a free deal, I should bear some responsibility for my decision. But, of course, it's only IMHO.
                                Michael,

Believe me, there's more to the story, I left many details out. I did not agree to a free deal. He offered free, I told him I would pay for the part and shipping prior to it being shipped. Before I could send payment the package arrived including parts I didn't want. It started to get nasty when I informed him the part he'd sent was a non-fitting clone (I had even posted a pic and part # of what I needed). He said it wasn't a clone because his best friend told him so and I had insulted his friend. At that point the name calling and threatening began.

Sometimes in-person deals go bad. When you add distance and emails they can really go bad as in my case.

Comment

Working...
                                X