making a V-rib belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a V-rib belt

Well I managed to forget about my belts until now. Good anyway because the urethane needed the time to cure. Here are a few pics. The ugly mass on the right is one of the results. It's inside out as shown. Both edges have been trimmed, but much of the molding wax remains in the grooves. The wax isn't bonded to the urethane, but because it's in the grooves it's a bit of a bear to get it all out. Central in the picture is a smaller version, which I've cleaned a little better, and to the left is a 4 rib belt that's been cut from it.

Next pic shows that a little closer up-

It was difficult to get a good angle with the camera, but this might show up a bit more detail of this small belt. It's just over 2 inches across, and being made to the J type belt specs, it's about 1/2 inch wide.

I haven't de-molded the larger version yet. These first two I placed in a pan in the oven and tried to melt the wax out. It was a bit of a mess getting the core out, and now my gloves are coated in wax. The pan isn't big enough to melt the larger mold, so I'm simply going to destroy it from the inside and collect as much of the wax chips as practical for re-use later. I'm hoping that by not heating it, the wax will be easier to remove from the grooves. There's no way I could save the mold anyway, and I didn't expect to, so I'm just hoping that I don't damage the belt in the process of getting it free.

The smaller of the two belts in these pictures I put in the freezer for a few minutes. That seemed to help with getting the wax out of it. What a lot of pissing around this has been- but hey, it's what I do, and I got the product I wanted
    Last edited by darryl; 04-05-2013, 02:50 AM.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I gotta hand it to you,this is the first time I have ever seen anybody make their own rubberized belts,my hat is off to you!

When is the test coming?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Making your own belts. That is a neat accomplishment.

But I must ask. I have seen your other thread that talked about a locking a pulley to a shaft and I am assuming that it is related to this belt. In it you stated that the pulley had to maintain a relationship with the shaft. And it also appeared that you were concerned about the power transmitted. So I am curious how a multiple Vee belt is going to maintain a precise (rotational?) relationship? And how does a home made belt fit in with reliable power transfer? Seems to me that a commercially available, timing belt would have been more suitable.

Are you making the belt just to see if you can? Does it need to be some non-available size? Exactly what are you making here?
      Paul A.

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I have an ongoing project here, which is a table saw with a custom table. All the mechanicals are made by me, and the largest belt is for it- as are the pulleys I made and asked about.

I have a working table saw. I will be leaving it with a friend once the new one is operational. I could keep the old saw- nothing wrong with it- I could buy a new one, but in order to get the features I want I made it myself. I could buy a belt for it as well- in fact I could buy many things that I've chosen to make instead.

Will this belt survive the test of time? I don't know, but I believe it is well-enough made that it will. If not- well I still have the option to buy one.

I've made belts before for my model applications. This is the first V belt I've made, so it's kind of an ongoing learning experience- and with practical applications. I find this kind of fabrication challenging and interesting.

I've made my own pulleys in the past from pvc, to use with purchased belts. Why wouldn't I just buy a pulley-

More often than not, when I have a project that calls for a part which I should be able to find, I can't find it. I'd rather just make it myself instead of doing the ol' search and go home empty routine. I'm really getting sick of that. It happens all the time. I'm not into paying ridiculous shipping charges, nor am I into the wait and wonder about getting a certain part, only to find out weeks later that I'll have to look somewhere else for it-

I've come to rely more and more on my own hands to procure the thing I need for the project at hand. Often it's not practical, but I usually learn something and have some fun doing it anyway. And when it is practical, which is often is for me, even if it isn't for someone else, then it's win-win.

In this case, I got to learn about machinable wax, and make some myself. I learned more about making molds and de-molding- got some hands-on experience. Learned something about working with this urethane compound- I'm actually looking for a use for the remainder of the tube before it hardens up and becomes useless- any ideas?
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Why are you building your own table saw? Is it something that a Unisaw, for example , can't provide? What are you trying to get to? I admire your passion, just can't understand the reason. Bob.

Comment

I built a table to surround my old saw many years ago. At that time I made up a cable controlled fence for it. That has been good all this time, but it was time for an upgrade. The new one also has a cable controlled fence, but it can fold down into a channel in the one-piece table so a cross-cut fence can be deployed onto the table- that is also cable controlled. These are easily moved without going out of square, and I've gotten used to that capability. In fact I took the initiative to re-build the table around one of the saws at work (both of them actually) but so far only one of them has this innovation on it. I've never seen a fence on any saw yet that rivals the ones I've made in terms of ease of use and the ability to remain square.

I've been using a skid on my saw for a long time now, and it's great for cross cutting and cutting smaller items that need some kind of support so you can safely push it through the blade. The cable controlled cross cut fence on the new saw will hopefully be an upgrade of this handy system.

Further, I'l have an improvement in the depth of cut capability, and I'll be able to easily angle the blade in both directions- up to 20 degrees one way, and up to 49 or so the other way. The blade height is motor-driven, so I'll have the capability of raising or lowering the blade while keeping both hands on the workpiece.

All said and done, the saw will be able to fold to a height of 20 inches, which means I can tip it up on edge and roll it through any doorway. The insert is a custom piece which is larger than usual, but more importantly it should be capable of remaining totally flush with the table surface and stay in place regardless of where you might put down pressure on it.

Just a few improvements in sawing that I'd like to have in my shop.

Comment

Working...
            X