Clausing 105

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clausing 105

I guess it is official. I have a tool addiction......

I found this old Clausing. It looks like a 10 or 12" (have not even checked that yet). It was tucked away, covered in shop dirt and "stuff". Came with the small 3 jaw (pictured) and a large 4 jaw (10"?) and another new in box 4 jaw which will require an adapter plate.

It will be a project but offers a longer bed and bigger swing than my small Craftex B2227. Also, I will be able to work in inches instead of converting to metric. I finally get to see what a "back gear" is since I have read a bit about them but mine does not have one. The lever at the back seems to slide the whole shaft side to side but it looks like it is supposed to engage/disengage the back gear. It looks like some set screws are missing.

I simply got it home yesterday and cleaned up the boxes of extras that came with it (not much to brag about there) so have not spent much time with it yet.

Couple of questions....Maybe premature as once I spend some time with it, it will be obvious but hopefully, if someone has some pointers for me, please feel free to chime in.

The lever on the front does not seem to do anything. It simply sits on a bolt as a pivot. Does it get connected somewhere? There is a hole in the end of it. Looks like it has been bent.
    The lever in the back does disengage a set of gears in the box but why?
    There is the Reversing lever on the left but it also has the power switch on the front which reverses the spindle direction.
    What is the original colour? This machine looks like it has been painted but there is some red underneath. If someone did paint it, they did a pretty thorough job or maybe the red is just primer?
    I tried to find some kind of manual online but no luck yet. I found a bit of a story on the Clausing company when started.

Ways a lot for it's size. The guy I bought it from wanted to sling it from the center of the bed but I would not let him. Maybe I am being anal as after all these years, it has probably been slung that way before.

It should clean up nice. ...

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/Sh...Clausing%20105

Does this tell you anything extra? http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing/page6.html

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Shawn,
      First thing come to mind - did you get the change gears in that box?? Hopefully you did, there should be 10 or so gears from large to small that allow changing thread cutting and feed rates - rather an important part of the lathe.

I had a 100 series Mark 3 lathe, which appears to be like yours except mine had a quick change gear box (no need for change gears) A pretty nice lathe. The back lever is for back gear, allows for very slow spindle speeds. The front handle I dont know, mine didnt have that. The side lever is to reverse the lead screws rotation (the saddle will travel to the right) I never saw one with the clutch lever and not have the quick change box...

The top handle is a clutch/brake, allows the lathe motor to continue to run but stop the spindle. Mine was in terrible condition, requiring some pretty major rework. And you got a belt guard! thats very rare, some one may have shop made it...

There is a yahoo group for the Clausings: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clausing_lathe_and_mill/
      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Ian, yes I did see that page but have not read the whole thing yet. I have been scrambling lately and jumped on this lathe. I will be delving into it more. Thank you. And for your tag line, yep, applies to me. Like the tools but need to learn how to use them....;-)

Bill, Thanks for the info. Not sure what "Mark #" I have, will try to clean the crud off of it and find it. I can read the s/n and model OK though. Perhaps Ian's reference will tell me how to find it. I had not seen the yahoo group. I will join and peruse it too. Yes, the belt guard looks like an addition. Well done but I was considering taking it off. Interferes with opening the side case a bit and with only me in the shop. But then, I am sure the safety of it supersedes the "inconvenience" of it though so I will try to get used to it. It rubs on the threading chart so needs a bumper or something

So is the "back gear" only for switching from a higher speed to a lower speed? or does it switch a range ie although I do not know how to cut threads, I have the impression very slow, like 80 rpm? and then gears set feed rate for thread pitch? but then feed rate would still be relative to spindle speed so a 28 tpi still could not turn material....again, maybe sometime with it will answer my questions.

And yes, I got all of the gears too. :-)

I can hardly read the threading chart. How can I restore that? It looks like a coat of paint and then a light buffing with a fine emery cloth might accentuate the lettering...? I am concerned that if the brass is worn and not pronounced enough, then I may not be able to recover the lettering if I paint it all. They liked a small font when the did that placard!

What colour was yours?

Comment

I have a 100 Mrk III that's kind of off white. It has a quick change also. Where are you located as some of the teeth on the back gear are stripped so I'm not sure what I'll do with it. It's fairly well tooled & hasa nice length bed on legs. I'm not trying to sell it on here but I may have your needed parts if they interchange.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

Looks like a nice machine. I do think I see a large purchase of de-greaser in your future.

I've cleaned a lot of machinery over the past few years. Unless you're planning to repaint it, I've found it's best to start with something mild and work your way up to the more aggressive stuff as needed.

Lately, I've been using (in order)

Common household ammonia.
            Generic Home Depot orange degreaser
            Home Depot Purple Degreaser - This stuff is nasty and will remove paint as well as a fair bit of skin. Start with it fairly diluted and work your way up to full strength as needed. Wear gloves, wear eye protection, wear a condom...

I've also found that a hair dryer is a very handy tool... warming up the area will soften the crud and make it a lot easier to remove. Just make sure that you're done before your wife gets home.

Comment

ShawnR,

I have a user/parts manual for the Clausing Model 100 series lathes. If you don't have a manual, I can email you a pdf copy - just PM me with an email address where I can send it to you.
              Last edited by Mike Burdick; 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM.

Comment

This is the way mine looked when I got it - and it was in worse shape than it looked! That is a dark gray (machine gray?) and it was the only paint on it, so was almost certainly original. I did a major rework on it and completely stripped and repainted it a similar color. I was a bit disappointed, it was a too dark for my taste.

From what I pieced together on mine seemed it was a Clausing 100 Mark 3A meaning it had all the bells & whistles that was offered at that time, including the cabinet, it was built in either 1945 or 46. And from what I could find out, a belt guard wasnt offered!! no OSHA back in those days...

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Mike, thanks for the e-mail!
                  Bill, can I borrow the magic sheet you pver it one night in the 1st pic & took it off next day for pic 2?
                  Mine has a small chuck & long belt also. I think the 4 jaw is a size bigger or not?
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnR View Post

I can hardly read the threading chart. How can I restore that? It looks like a coat of paint and then a light buffing with a fine emery cloth might accentuate the lettering...? I am concerned that if the brass is worn and not pronounced enough, then I may not be able to recover the lettering if I paint it all. They liked a small font when the did that placard!

Take a close up photo and measure the plate, might be able to make a new plate.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

For the lathe pictured by Bill Pace: If wanted, the graphics for the threading plate can be downloaded at the following link...

http://bbssystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=1297

Comment

Hey Bill

Those photos are inspiring! I kind of figured grey but cannot see any on it. I may just go with it.....have not even got it functioning fully and already thinking about the colour. I think my wife's ideas of renos is affecting me. ;-)

The older chuck looks the same as your original, one socket only on a three jaw chuck. My other original looking chuck is 10" and the one in the box (China aftermarket), looks around 6-8". Where did you get the adapter plate for the new chuck?

I could not resist and looked a little more closely at the lathe today, between other "to do's". The saddle is kind of stuck. I say kind of as it has been moved from the chuck end when I first looked at it to closer to the tailstock now, during moving to make room for slinging, etc. . I am afraid it got bumped/stessed during loading/unloading but it may be just that the ways are very tight there and the saddle was adjusted more for worn ways nearer the chuck. The feed handle (longitudinal) does move the gear on the ....term..? but the saddle is VERY hard to move. I think I will need to disassemble it in place to find out what is going on.

I need to clean even to get to the fasteners though. The ways are very "dinged up". I hope the lathe is not too far out to use.

As to the spare large chuck I got, would you mount that one on this lathe? It looks huge! 10" diameter on what I think is a 12" lathe. I wonder if someone slipped it in there from somewhere else? I will most likely make or buy the adapter plate and mount the new 4 jaw. It looks more reasonable. I will take some photos and post them.

flylo, thanks for the offer. I will see if I need anything as I get into it. When I said I had no backgear, I meant on my Craftex. The Clausing looks complete, so far. Just lacking major TLC.

Comment

That "original" 3 jaw chuck was garbage and promptly went in the trash and the 4 jaw was little better, but I did have a mate to it and between the 2 I did make it somewhat useable and offered it to the buyer advising him it was poor. The 3 jaw that ended up on it was a 5" from Shars - I already had a back plate. Shars and CDCO has back plates very cheap, CDCO is something like $40.

A 10" chuck is gonna be crowding that lathe - probably the ideal would be a 6" 3 jaw and an 8" 4 jaw.

My carriage was also stuck in the position shown with the ways so rusted up, in fact, it was so stuck that someone had apparently cranked down on the wheel so much that the key on the shaft was stripped and a tooth missing on the gear. As youre thinking, I had to take it apart where it sat and work it off the end of the bed.

I really hope yours is in better condition than mine, I had to cut 3 gears, rebuild the spindle, the back gear train, completely rework/build the clutch, the apron need a lot of work, cross & compound had a mile of slack, etc, etc. But, this kinda stuff is what gets my juices flowing and when all the work comes together like it did and looks like that, Im happy - and I had 3 guys fighting over who was gonna buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace View Post
                            I had 3 guys fighting over who was gonna buy it.
                            As you should have. That was a prime example of high quality craftsmanship.

Comment

Mike, I received the manual pdf. THANK YOU! That should make this adventure a whole lot easier....

Now it is just getting dirty. I am good at that....

:-)

Comment

Working...
                              X