Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another What Is It.

Hello,

This is something I found in my late dads tools. I think it is probably something he picked up in an estate sale. I had never seen him use it and we worked together for many years. It says Stevens Perfect with New York in it too. It appears that maybe it was made to be held in some other tool judging by the tang on the end of the handle. Or it could be that the one lever has been altered/shortened and the thumb screw was added later in place of the latch. The jaws also have holes in on the inside surface of them.

Anyone ever seen one?

Thanks,
    Brian

OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

There was a "Stevens Arms" gun manufacture but I don't think they were in New York. But....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burdick View Post
      There was a "Stevens Arms" gun manufacture but I don't think they were in New York. But....
      Mike,

Stevens arms is the only Stevens that I could think of too. Maybe something to do with gun repair.

Thanks for posting.

Brian

THINK HARDER

Comment

Multiphasic tripolar reverse-ratcheting antifringulator. Used for vivisecting reticulated lenticular plecostomuses.

Comment

Stevens firearms was located in Chicopee Falls Mass. Their tools were marked J.T. Stevens A&T as in arms and tools.

I believe that is a bicycle wrench for adjusting spokes or nipples.
          Jim H.

Comment

Bicycle spoke wrench.

Comment

Park still makes one like that. http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...oke-wrench.asp Forgot to mention the holes in the jaws are for a spring.

Comment

bbor10

john is right it is a bicycle spoke wrench.

Jum

Comment

That's great to know! I've had one of those for years and always wondered what it was.

Comment

Don't know what it was, but a little modification on the holes in the jaws and it would be perfect for the old style spring hose clamps.

Comment

Why the "hook" on the end of the handle? the modern one has it as well.

Edit:

Found it here http://www.parktool.com/product/adju...e-wrench-sw-10
                      Last edited by andywander; 04-05-2013, 11:47 PM.

Comment

I'm just guessing - maybe to help change tires, getting them on and off the rim.

Comment

no, it spins around the spoke-see the link I posted in msg 12

Comment

Founded by Joshua Stevens (1814 - 1879) as J. Stevens & Company

became J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. in 1886,

absorbed Page-Lewis Arms Co., Davis-Warner Arms Co., and Crescent Firearms Co. in 1926,

became a subsidiary of Savage in 1920

Comment

Thanks Guys for the answer. I knew I could count on someone here having the answer.

Andywander, your link in post #11 shows the tool in use and explains it all real well. A picture is worth a thousand words. Also, I wonder if
                              Crescent Firearms Co. was the same Crescent as the tool company. It looks like there may have been a connection between arms makers and tool makers.

Brian

THINK HARDER

Comment

Working...
                              X