Camp stove repair project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp stove repair project

I've been having a lot of back problems since last October and cannot remain on my feet for more than 10 or so minutes. This forced lethargy has been bitter source of annoyance for me especially since the shop is somewhat warm now and I've added a number of new tools I need to get located and working. It's been too long since I was in the shop to do something fun.

I decided I needed a simple project so I set out to replace the synthetic rubber valve and washers on my Optimus No 96 camp stove. This kit was sent to me by a friend who is a collector. As we've often read, no good deed goes unpunished, and I broke the valve body trying to remove it from the valve assembly. This is about 0.7" long and a quarter inch in diameter, drilled nearly the full length, and has very thin walls. It has a stopper and spring inside. A bicycle pump style pump pressurizes the tank and this valve prevents leaking out of the fount.

http://metalworkingathome.com/?p=241

It took longer to photograph and blog than it did to turn out the piece, so I made two

Very interesting post dp. And i hope that bad back gets sorted out soon, that can be very painfull and annoying . Frustrating when one has much to get done, Best of luck with this.

Comment

Dennis,

That is a real antique. My grandfather (a Seattle carpenter) used this model in 1923 when the family (including my father, who was eight) did a six-month tour of the West in a Starr Touring Car. It took ten days to drive from Seattle to San Francisco on unpaved roads. My father had that Optimus but now i don't know where it is.

It's good to see you have kept this one alive.
      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
        It's good to see you have kept this one alive.
        Great story!

This one has been all over the US in the saddle bag of my Harley and has been reliable as anything I've ever owned. It is intended to burn white gas with the burner style I have but if needed it will burn kero and Diesel, too. It puts out maximum heat in minutes and will make a pot of coffee in short order. They come in a little tin box and I have that, the wrench, the wind screen, the pot holder brackets, and three of the original pricks used to clear the burner should it clog

I lit it up today for the first time in a while and it lighted and burned great. The pictures didn't come out so I'll try again when the sun (hahahaha! I said "sun") goes down. I laugh because it has been raining nearly non-stop for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
          Great story!

This one has been all over the US in the saddle bag of my Harley and has been reliable as anything I've ever owned. It is intended to burn white gas with the burner style I have but if needed it will burn kero and Diesel, too. It puts out maximum heat in minutes and will make a pot of coffee in short order. They come in a little tin box and I have that, the wrench, the wind screen, the pot holder brackets, and three of the original pricks used to clear the burner should it clog

I lit it up today for the first time in a while and it lighted and burned great. The pictures didn't come out so I'll try again when the sun (hahahaha! I said "sun") goes down. I laugh because it has been raining nearly non-stop for some time.
          IN 1973 after freezing my hands tryingto keep a butane stove warm enough to work in sub zero temperatures in the mountains of wales, I vowed never again and went and bought an optimus 93 for £5.00 from a store that was trying to get rid of stock. A few years later I saw these for sale at £40 in a climbing shop, So when I saw another even older one (but still new) available for £2.50 I persuaded my girlfriend to buy it. 36 years later we still have these stoves and they are still working each time me and the girlfriend go camping (she married me) when she proves restaurant quailty meals are possible on just two optimus 96.

Comment

We used to put the bottles inside the sleeping bags over night, and then on top of the boiling pot to keep then going with my other halfs coleman alpine.
            Nevery had any problems with my MSR once you managed to get it lit and stable. It did used to flare horribly until warmed up... not an 'in tent' stove.

Dave
            Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Working...
            X