A real optimist...... A REAL optimist...... selling a mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A real optimist...... A REAL optimist...... selling a mill

I know they go for more than they are worth, but ..... really?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/3715950447.html

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

The add does say, "Or best offer".
    Offer him $200.

Comment

People think machine tools have antique value like old grandfather clocks, its usually women selling their husband's tools too when it's a price like this.

Comment

Viewed only as a working tool for everyday use I will totally agree with you, but actually the seller is smart to open the bidding as high as he has. That machine appears to be in very good condition for its years and there are a whole gaggle of collectors out there (I've met and sold to some of them) who have a lot of money to burn on their hobby of collecting vintage machine tools. We had to get rid of some VERY old equipment where I work which was not nearly in as good condition as this machine you've cited. We didn't auction per se but simply took offers with a closed timeline for bidding. Some of the machines were missing parts and in seriously bad condition. We got far more than we ever anticipated. This was about 20 years ago and as these machines age and the list of collectors grow I estimate that the prices are going to skyrocket in time.

Remember, there are only so many machines of this vintage and in this condition in circulation .... I am pausing to remember my mint condition collection of baseball cards when I was a kid. I had a shoebox totally crammed with them. I gave them to my nephews when I was a teenager and they promptly lost and otherwise destroyed them. I didn't care. What the hell was I going to do with them. Baseball cards were only worth their weight in paper back then. I heard a story on the radio about 10 years ago of a guy who bought a house and found a shoebox of baseball cards in the garage attic. They were about the same vintage as mine. He got $60,000 for them. Excuse me while I have a good cry. Never underestimate what people will pay for old stuff. Your junk might be their treasure.

Comment

Tool prices are... strange.

Around here, a rusty Lincoln arc welder with no cables will typically get more at auction than a brand new welder. I've seen it happen time after time.

My wife's employer was taking bids on some old equipment. They had five Bridgeport mills. I went down and looked at them. They were old step-belt types, beaten-up tables, no power feeds, and everything removable was gone, including drawbars. I bid $500 for the best looking one. They managed to find someone to pay $5,500 *each* for them. In that case it was "accepting sealed bids", so there wasn't any bidding frenzy to account for it...

Comment

Originally posted by TRX View Post
            Tool prices are... strange.

Around here, a rusty Lincoln arc welder with no cables will typically get more at auction than a brand new welder. I've seen it happen time after time.

My wife's employer was taking bids on some old equipment. They had five Bridgeport mills. I went down and looked at them. They were old step-belt types, beaten-up tables, no power feeds, and everything removable was gone, including drawbars. I bid $500 for the best looking one. They managed to find someone to pay $5,500 *each* for them. In that case it was "accepting sealed bids", so there wasn't any bidding frenzy to account for it...
            So Arkansas = tool desert?

Brian
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Hey, Larry is trying! Lol

Like the old saying, start high, you can always come down,,, BUT you can't go up!

Comment

Some one will buy it for $1250 brag to the buds about beating Larry down yo 1/2 price & larry will be smilling as he only expected $750 tops. Larry's no dummy.
                "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                country, in easy stages."
                ~ James Madison

Comment

I hear you.....

But when someone STARTS that high, what they are basically saying is "thish here be gold, boy, you wanna talk, you better have the gold.".

I would bet that he drives away 10x more people who would happily pay the price he will eventually end up actually selling it for. They won't ever even call, because they will figure the guy has not one clue, and won't come down past about $1500.

I suppose it only takes one, but I'm not buying the idea that starting STUPIDLY high is a good selling technique. My money is on the idea that he is one idjit with no clue.

It's in OK condition, not wonderful, certainly nowhere near a "we just found the unopened crate" machine..... And it basically has the stuff it should have with it, no more. OK it has power feed option..... but that cutter in it is a pretty accurate predictor of what you can do with it unless you modify it some (overarm support). And the table "looks like" a real mill, but in fact when you look closely at it, the Atlas table is a lot smaller than it looks in real usable area, and it has one slot.

I suppose the latter two items are in the "if you intend to use it as a tool" category.
                  Last edited by J Tiers; 04-07-2013, 12:11 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

I agree with J Tiers. I'd be interested in that machine. I'm one of those guys that likes to collect and restore old manual machines.
                    But I wouldn't even waste my time on this one. But what I'd likely do, if the ad is up for a few weeks, is drop the guy an email saying "I'm interested in your mill, but those things just don't sell for what you are asking. If you reach a point where you want to sell it for market price, I'm a buyer".
                    I've bought some decent deals like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X