Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to keep chips out of the inside of a chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to keep chips out of the inside of a chuck?

Whenever I'm turning something I use parallels to align the workpiece in the chuck jaws. That leaves a big space for chips to find their way into the inside of my chucks. When I go to move the jaws I can feel chips in the mechanism and have to clean them out every time. Is there a trick to keeping chips out from the inside of the mechanism?

This bothers me as well. I guess a guy couple put a bag over the whole chuck and tape around the key opening and just clamp the part in the jaws threw the bag. But it wouldn't last long and the bag would have to be replaced over and over again.
    Andy

Comment

How about something simple like some lightly oiled paper towels tucked behind the piece and into the chuck bore?

Comment

The only way to keep metal shavings out of the chuck scroll is to not use the chuck. The gear teeth on the back of the jaws and the scroll gear cut catch chips almost faster than you can machine them off the work piece. Perhaps if you mount a blast of air from the left end of the spindle bore blasting a fast charge of air out of the chuck you MAY keep most of the chips out of the scroll.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Duct tape.

Rex

Comment

Somewhere in one of the Tip Books or on here I saw where a fellow stuffed a piece of foam rubber into the center of the chuck. Seems like a good idea to me. I have some kicking around from packing around something shipped to me. I thought I could possible cut some rounds out of it with a whole saw. Haven't tried it yet though.
            Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Use a grinder chuck. The jaw slots don't go all the way to the center bore.
              They have less adjustment range, but have serrated jaw adjustment faces
              (like cnc chucks) to allow for better jaw positioning.
              --Doozer
              DZER

Comment

Make one of these from foam.

http://www.projectsinmetal.com/wp-co...ce-spacers.jpg

Comment

You should try turning wood on a lathe the fine dust gets everywhere and you need to strip them and clean very often.I do anyway. Axminster chucks for woodturning (of which I have 2 ) are based on metal holding chucks obviously with different jaws but they get ver dirty quick. Have fun.Alistair ps I like the sponge idea.
                  Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                    Use a grinder chuck. The jaw slots don't go all the way to the center bore.
                    They have less adjustment range, but have serrated jaw adjustment faces
                    (like cnc chucks) to allow for better jaw positioning.
                    --Doozer
                    Do they sell these chucks for manual lathes? I've only seen chucks with serated jaws for cnc's with hydraulic pullback.

I appreciate all of the great ideas, them chips sure are annoying so it looks like i'll be doing some experimentation.

Comment

Or make a sleeve that fits snugly in the bore of the chuck.

The obvious downside here is that the jaws can no longer protrude into the bore, thus limiting grip range.

The insurmountable problem is when the jaws do protrude into the bore. The teeth that engage the scroll are then exposed and will carry any collected swarf with them when the chuck is next opened to a larger diameter.

Dave

Comment

As has been mentioned, either don't use the lathe or use a piece of paper towel stuffed into the chuck's bore. It will keep 95-98% of debris out of the chuck. The beauty of the paper towel is it's adjustable and always kind of fits whatever chuck you're using. I used it recently when turning some cast iron and the paper towel kept the inside remarkably clean.
                        I would not recommend using a rag though as if it became partially dislodged it could turn into a hazard.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

It seems chips get into the jaws by centrifugal force and by the stream of air that flows in that direction.

So, how about a shop vac connected to the far end of the spindle? Obviously this would be a slip fitting so the hose does not get seriously tangled? You might need a trap to keep the coolant out of the vac.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                            It seems chips get into the jaws by centrifugal force and by the stream of air that flows in that direction.

So, how about a shop vac connected to the far end of the spindle? Obviously this would be a slip fitting so the hose does not get seriously tangled? You might need a trap to keep the coolant out of the vac.
                            Or, do it the other way. Use the shop vac as a blower blowing the chips out of the chuck. It might even work if the vac hose was just in the vicinity of the end of the spindle, say within 1/4". Then no slip fitting would be necessary.

Comment

Use a sponge rubber ball. Do toy stores still sell them?
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X