Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT what kind of speed rating on these tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT what kind of speed rating on these tires?

Looks like a company in Texas is giving the Bugatti Veyron a run for it's money just by hopping up a run of the mill Lotus - with a 1,244hp 7 liter twin turbo charged engine...

Lot's of controversy but in a way it's no contest because it's achieving close to what the Boog can do in only 2 miles instead of 4...

Boogs saying it's not game over - just wait till they unveil their 1,600 hp version,

whens it going to end, as much pigs as these cars weigh they still have to be about taking flight - pretty small wings keeping things in check with the downforce and all,
    @ 265mph they sound more like a jet fighter taking off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d9y2...layer_embedded

I have been wondering about the tires as well. Z rated is for above 149mph but what is the limit? I know they limit drag cars to 330mph because the tires come apart soon after that. Hard to imagine street tires are better than drag car tires for coming apart at speed.
    Andy

Comment

"A company in Texas"?? Surely you've heard of Hennessey?
      I'm not fond of the latest Lotus styling, but it sure sounds sweet!

As far as the tires, for the amount of money we're talking about ($1,000,000 for the 1200 hp version), I'm sure they're custom tires.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I have not been keeping up because I don't get top gear anymore :-(

I just watched another vid and Hennessey stated that @ just 150mph that small wing in the back put's up to 800lbs of downforce on the back of the vehicle, (in extended mode) - I never would have guessed their getting that much out of that and at such a low speed, Im also surprised at the weight - it's 1,300lbs lighter than the veyron and weighs only 2,800 - that's really not all that heavy considering all the goods under the rear deck.

Street tires that go that fast amaze me due to the weight of the tire itself being the main destructive force that works against them, and you can see in the vid there is a fair amount of rubber on them,
        they have to be made of progressive compound with the super gummy stuff on the outside and higher reinforced rubber down where the core meets the fabric - I think lot's of hi-perf tires are this way - but in just two or three stage, I bet these are layered in multiple increments and cost about as much as I paid for my entire car for maybe just a couple of them...

there's no doubt one serious burn out could end up costing you about 600 bucks so if your trying to impress someone you better make sure their worth it. lol

Comment

Standard-issue tyres for my bike have been used past 300mph. Just because there's a speed rating (actually speed & load) doesn't mean they will fail if you exceed it.
          Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
          Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
          Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

I can see motorcycles tires being the easier of the two to be able to handle the higher speeds, Kinda like a giant hollow O-ring they will retain much of their static designed shape except just grow larger,

Car tires are another story, trying to keep a flat profile across a 12" or 14" span with all the forces working against it at those kinds of speeds would not be easy...

couple that into the amount of heat generated in comparison and car tires would have to be far more difficult to design im thinking...

Comment

Oh, they still have their moments, like this guy whose rear tyre exploded at close to 200mph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSLV60ZVJpo

Wasn't much left of the bike

Last edited by Peter.; 04-07-2013, 12:27 PM.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

That's ugly - im all for watching a little carnage but that's just hard to watch,

I hate to ask of the fate - miracles can happen and all you can do is hope, but even if he was lucky enough to go into some kind of slide - at that speed you would become your own barbecue no matter what you were wearing...

Comment

He was severely injured, busted ribs and broken bones but his internals were ok and he's made a good recovery.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

unreal, he could take up knitting for the rest of his life and if anyone ever called him a puss just show them the vid and tell them to grow a nut sac...

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
                      As far as the tires, for the amount of money we're talking about ($1,000,000 for the 1200 hp version), I'm sure they're custom tires.
                      Not only are the tires custom, so is the installation. The dealership pulls the wheels and sends them back to Bugatti for the new tires.

My favorite part of the TG video that I saw was when the guy had it on the test track in Germany and said "At this speed, the tires will be gone in 15 minutes. But that's ok. The fuel will be gone in 12."
                      Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

That must have been what I was doing wrong. The race car I was driving had pointy ends sticking out all over the place.
                        No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Oh My, tires AND a tank of gas gone in 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!
                          mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

If you can afford a Bugatti, tire and fuel costs are a minor annoyance.

Rex

Comment

Working...
                            X