Combining 2 millrites into 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining 2 millrites into 1

I have 1 and 2/3rds millrites. I have 1 complete machine that is functional now and one that is missing the turrent and dovetail ram. The complete one has some wear and a 7 x 27 table that is beat to he!! and has a bow in it. The other 2/3rds machine has some wear but has a beautiful 8 x 36 table. Wondering how you guys would go about combining these 2 machines into 1 good one and some extra parts? I haven't assessed either with indicators just going by the scraping/frosting remaining on the ways. Both could probably use a scraping but I don't have the skill (would like to acquire the skills). Should I put the turrent on the one with the bigger table? or should I put the knee and such on the smaller machine assuming the Z axis is probably the least worn of all axes?

Never done it but I would presume that the machine is a basic lump with a number of table options.
    For the sake of least disturbance I would try fitting the bigger table on the more complete machine.
    If you find problems then you may have to deal with that.
    Have you looked at http://www.lathes.co.uk/millrite/ ?
    Suggests a basic machine frame with a number of table options ! Of course it is never quite as simple as that!

Comment

The machine had a few options and different table sizes were 1 of them. Everything is the same between the 2 except the length of table and the X axis screw (there was a bigger knee available to but these are the same). I'm talking more about the fitting of the ways etc. at some point the 2 machines are going to have to have parts from 2 different machines meeting and I'm wondering what where or how would be the best way to do this.

Comment

The simple fix would be to move the turret and ram to the mill with the good table.

Comment

all the millrites I worked around, you would still only get an IQ of 97..... : )

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
            The simple fix would be to move the turret and ram to the mill with the good table.
            This. Just do it. But make sure the lube ports are open and not filled (incorrectly) with grease. May require disassembly of the table and knee, but you ought to do that anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
              That is what I would do too.

Brian
              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Working...
              X