Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Daughter thinks my new fixturing table is the best Lego setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Daughter thinks my new fixturing table is the best Lego setup.

My daughter was in my office and looking at the brochure for my new fixturing/welding table. She then watched a couple of the videos and told me I was just buying the ultimate Lego building setup. She wanted to know if she could play with it too. I promptly informed her that this was a tool and not a toy. She smiled and told me not to worry she won't tell Mom that all my tools are really big boy toys!

She is 10 years old. When she is older no man will pull the wool over her eyes I think.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

That's awesome! No fooling that kid. At least she is willing to keep the secret, for now anyhow. Kids do that, they have a way of seeing through your plans. I have six, I know the issue well. Cute kid though. The older she gets the more fun she'll be. If you are smart, you'll leave a space on that table for Legos.

Comment

Knowing my daughter she will want to make Lego pieces on the mill to fit the table.
      How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Sounds like she yook after her Mom in most ways, Thank goodness as yje world will be a better place.!
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

Get real ! It's probably her mum that told her you were just a big schoolboy in the first place. Where your daughter scores is not telling you that !

Anyway, why can't you weld her up a nice Lego base to keep her onside ?
          Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

She could design her own table, then get your help as appropriate to put it together.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
              She could design her own table, then get your help as appropriate to put it together.
              She is actually getting quite good with my CAD program. She also understands more about surfacing than I do. She wants to try the program MOI.

Welding is her big fascination. When I am welding she likes to watch through another helmet. I am putting off teaching her to weld as long as possible as she is only 10 years old. To say I am quite proud of her would be a gross understatement.

A friend of mine died recently. I am helping his widow to sort out his shop. We were there yesterday and on the way home I mentioned to my wife that I should probably make an inventory of all my tools and machines and their worth in case something happened to me and she needed to liquidate my shop and equipment. My daughter jumps in and says first nothing is going to happen to you but if it does your tools aren't going anywhere! I want them. How would I build stuff without them so get that idea right out of your head!

Comment

You have every right to be proud of her. I never understood why folks try to scare their daughters away from this sort of stuff. My daughters used to hang in my shop all the time and still talk fondly of doing so.

No reason to put off having her learn to weld, at least with supervision. Unless you are secretly afraid she will use up all of your shielding gas and welding filler, which may not be an unreasonable fear if she gets the bug. At that age learning things is so visceral and effortless that she will likely be welding better than you in no time, and it will be a skill she will have the rest of her life. Sort of like the way young kids can almost effortlessly pick up multiple languages while most adults have to really work at it.

Once she gets good enough, then it's like having a CNC mill. She can lay down welds while you are working on something else!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                  ... My daughter jumps in and says first nothing is going to happen to you but if it does your tools aren't going anywhere! I want them. How would I build stuff without them so get that idea right out of your head!
                  Fantastic! Some of my happiest childhood memories are of hours "helping" my father make stuff in the garage. What I didn't realise then, because I was just having fun, was that he was teaching, and I learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                    ... My daughter jumps in and says first nothing is going to happen to you but if it does your tools aren't going anywhere! I want them. How would I build stuff without them so get that idea right out of your head!
                    Did it make you all weepy with a lump in your throat?

Did me.
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Working...
                    X