A question re hilti drill .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question re hilti drill .

please can anyone help I bought a hilti drill at auction when I got it home it refused to work.Auctioneers don't want to know and actually in a dirty way asked me simply to stick it back on the auction and try to get my money back.No consideration for some poor devil who buys it next.I won't do this but anyway I have discovered through the internet the problem is this.The hilti comercial drills have a very small computerised board on them which when the do so many hours require a sevrice go onto a yellow light as a warning to take it to hilti to have it serviced by them.Then after say 50 hours or so with a yellow light a red light comes on and the drill stops running altogether till you take it to be serviced.A bit underhand in a way to make them lots of profit.I know hilti will charge a small fortune and maybe make the drill too costly to repair.I has already cost me about £150+ and I don't know what to do does anyone maybe in the uk have any idea how to bypass this system to get it running so that I can get use out of it somehow.
    please if you have any ideas let me know cmone John evan etc let me have a bit of relief on this drill Otherwise I will just have to sell it and tell the truth upfront thats the kind of person I am it's a dirty underhand way of selling it to me in the first place I suspect it maybe has been sold this way a few times when I told the auctioneer I wouldn't sell it without declaring it's problems he seemed astounded at my stupidity am I stupid I don't care.Please advise if you can Alistair
    Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 04-08-2013, 02:34 PM.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

thats just like my dishwasher. (sorry i cant help.)

Comment

It might be worth taking it apart and doing a bit of reverse-engineering, if it is a Universal motor drill, it can't be that exotic in nature?
      I assume they monitor brush life or run time somehow, as brushes and bearings are about the only wear object in a Universal motor.
      I imagine the on board monitor could be by-passed? At least It is worth a try with that much sunk into it.
      Max.

Comment

I have a Bosch demolition hammer that operates the same way. I'm not sure about the Hilti, but on the Bosch when the brushes wear down to a minimum length - it shuts down the motor. I can buy a new set of brushes from Bosch for $11.75 and change them myself. FWIW.

In my case, when the light comes on - that means 8 hours remaining. After that it shuts down.
        Last edited by Highpower; 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM. Reason: Corrected price.

Comment

I bought a basket of 3-4 non working Hilti hammer drills a while back that were used by a big contractor in the state. I figured the parts would yield at least one, but I was able to salvage 2. The problem was concrete dust in the switch. Took drills and switches apart and cleaned them well, lubed where appropriate, and they worked like new. Sold his choice to a guy for more than the 4 broken drills cost me and have used the other for many years. There were no such circuit boards back when mine were made.

Comment

You have another problem. If you send the drill in to Hilti to be serviced it will be sent back to the registered owner. They look up the owner by serial number and send the drill to the owner on record. Also you normally can not buy parts for Hilti tools. You have to send them in to be fixed. I have a Hilti drill but have never had it serviced.
            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I have 3 Hilti drills and have had 2 serviced. You wont have a problem taking them for service UNLESS the drill was reported stolen to Hilti. Im not the original owner and have not had an issue having it serviced. Had one serviced that had a clutch part break off inside and the repair was actually reasonable. You also CAN buy repair parts from Hilti, at least I have a few times.
              As for the "monitor board" you dont have much option other than to take it in, as I have done some digging and they are NOT easy to bypass (so far many have tried, none have succeeded). Its one of the reasons I keep the big old TE-72 and dont buy a nice new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stern View Post
                I have 3 Hilti drills and have had 2 serviced. You wont have a problem taking them for service UNLESS the drill was reported stolen to Hilti. Im not the original owner and have not had an issue having it serviced. Had one serviced that had a clutch part break off inside and the repair was actually reasonable. You also CAN buy repair parts from Hilti, at least I have a few times.
                As for the "monitor board" you dont have much option other than to take it in, as I have done some digging and they are NOT easy to bypass (so far many have tried, none have succeeded). Its one of the reasons I keep the big old TE-72 and dont buy a nice new one.
                Not in Germany regarding buying spare parts. I took my Hilti to my local guy that can fix most anything. He told me he can not order parts for a HIlti. There are parts available on Ebay sometimes.
                How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Well, count me as "won't buy Hilti" after hearing that... Sounds like Apple!

I'd be looking on the board for a pair of jumper pins, or two pads labelled "reset" in case shorting them (power off!) cleared the timers, like the CMOS reset on PC motherboards... Though it may not be that simple if there's a multipin connector for "service" on the board...

Dave H. (the other one)
                  Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

What model is it Alistair?
                    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
                      What model is it Alistair?
                      If its a smaller brushed universal motor model ..then it shouldn't be too hard to defeat ,like a TE60

But if its a larger brushless model using what looks similar to an induction motor ie TE905-1000 , then thats a diferent story as the speed controller is probably using inverter like technology run by the board your trying to defeat.

Found this on Fixya
                      If you have the newer type TE905 with the large “D” Type handle at the back. It gets a bit more complicated. The service light will come on for the same reasons as mentioned above, but it will also come on after 200 hours of use. It will continue to work for another 50 hours with the light on, then it will shut down completely. This is to ensure that it gets regular service. Once serviced or repaired, it will require resetting. To do this you with need a Hilti optical interface, a PC, and Hilti ODA Software. This is not available to the general public. If your Hilti is less Than 2 years old, call Hilti. They will pick it up, repair it, and send it back to you in 3 working days FREE OF CHARGE. If it is older than 2 years there will be a charge for the repairs.

But they are a quality product (in a world full of chinese use once a throw rubbish)...your probably better of getting it serviced correctly and have a nice drill to use.

Rob

Comment

Some of them can be tricked into re-setting, others need the optical link because the trick doesn't work.

Alistair I sent you a PM.
                        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

wow thanks peter I have a full receipt for it I think it's exhire actually I bought it for my son also Alistair thanks peter will be in touch you're very kind. Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                          X