End Mill Alignment in Sharpening Fixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Mill Alignment in Sharpening Fixture

I've sharpen a couple of end mills with a fixture that uses bushings and gives primary relief. This seems to be one of two common fixtures, the other allowing tilting for secondary relief grinding. It seems to work ok, but I've noticed that it is challenging to align the flutes with the wheel. With the 5/8" & 3/4" I was able to eyeball it, make an adjustment or two, and get a good result. When I tried a 3/8" it got challenging! I needed to use my magnifying visor, and it still wasn't perfect, although it seemed to work out fine.

Any recommendations on how to align the flutes with the wheel? (6x12 surface grinder)

Hi,

Can you post a picture of your sharpener setup?

I've seen a couple different styles over the years. I'm most familiar with the Darax myself. The clearance angle is determind by the stylus height, .010" below center height, and the position of the stylus in relation to the wheel face.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I'm not sure this will help you but when I set up the grinding rest I showed in shop made tools, I used angle blocks and a machinist square.
      So far it came out spot on to the original ground surfaces.
      Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

When I sharpened the ends of my endmills on the lathe, I used a square and aligned the ends of the flutes with it. It'd be hard to do on a 3 flute, but for even numbers worked fine. I actually had a harder time setting up the gouging.

Dave

Comment

I clamp a metal finger to a adjustable fixture that engages with the flutes of the mill, and rotate the lot until the first end is set up. Then I can sharpen, loosen the clamp on the fixture keeping it stuck to the magnet, and rotate to the next flute, clamp it back up and do the next. I've shaped the end of the finger to fit into the flutes of the ones I sharpen the most often to help them index properly.
          Have to say I havent sharpened any end mill or slot drill smaller than a inch or more in diameter, but they come out well, if I get any little ones make it to blunt old age without being shattered in the chip pan, I'll try it on them too.

Comment

This may (or may not...) help: http://pico-systems.com/sharpen.html

I do not advocate grinding on the milling machine.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. With the larger end mills I never really thought about it, just eye balled it and kept going. I like the metal finger concept and will have to play with that one. I don't think one needs perfect alignment, just good enough so you don't cut into the back side of the opposite flute (in the case of even numbered flutes).

Thanks again,

Alex

Comment

I used to own a tool & cutter grinder, a no. 2 Cincinnati clone. I found a book somewhere that really explains how to grind end mills, reamers and other cutting tools. I have never seen any other book like it. The book is "Operator's Instruction Book - Cincinnati No. 2 Cutter and Tool Grinder" by the Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. I used to see crummy photocopies selling on ebay for like $50. I still own mine, wouldn't sell it. But I do notice a reasonably-priced copy online. Try this link: http://tinyurl.com/d54s9xs

Good luck,

metalmagpie

Comment

Thanks for the book lead Metalmagpie. I did see 2 for sale, not sure if I want to spend $37+ on it . Maybe if I don't spend too much at Cabin Fever this weekend I'll consider it.

Alex

Comment

If you are looking for T&C grinder information, you will not get a better bargain than the CD John Stevenson's wife sells. It includes the Cincinatti #1 & #2 manuals as well as Boxford, B&S and others. I am not sure what the current price is in feet and inches, but it was something around $10.00 plus a bit for shipping the last time I checked.

http://www.metoolsonline.com/
                    Jim H.

Comment

thanks for that. i just bought it.

Comment

Working...
                      X