Need Dimensions from Craftsman Lathe Tool Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Dimensions from Craftsman Lathe Tool Post

I bought a friend a quick change tool post for his 12x36 Craftsman lathe and have been unable to get the dimensions for the slot where the plate goes. I want to rough it out because he has a mini mill vs my full size mill and I can do it quicker on my mill.
    Can anybody give the rough dimensions of the slot, please?
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 04-10-2013, 09:40 AM.

I'm sorry if this sounds snarky. It isn't intended to. I'm sure somebody will post the dimensions, but why can't your friend just measure it?

Dave

Comment

It is a surprise present

Comment

Be aware that there are two different Craftsman 12" lathes, early and late, and that the T slot dimensions might differ.
        Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
          It is a surprise present
          I wish my friends gave presents like that. :-)

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I have the 12 x 36 Craftsmen commercial lathe that I bought new about 1975. Don't know if it's an early or late model but it's the one with the 1/2 inch thick bed. Anyway, the "T" slot on the compound is .630" deep. The top of the T is .625" wide and the bottom is 1.022" wide. The T at the bottom is .334" thick. Hope this helps and also hope it's the same size as your friend's.
            Ernie

Comment

Ernie's is the late style.

I've got the early style 12x24 Craftsman (3/8" ways), and the T slot is the same as Ernie's within 5 or 10 thou. Leave a little clearance on all dimensions and you should be good to go.

I second what danlb said. Awful nice of you
              Last edited by schoolie; 04-10-2013, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys, he is a good friend. We stayed with them for about a month after Hurricane Katrina and he is redoing my guns that were damaged. I want to teach him basic lathe operations and the quick change tool post will help him to have tooling set up and height preset.

Comment

Working...
                X