Machinist calculator for $1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machinist calculator for $1

I misplaced my a solar powered scientific calculator. It still bothers me I can't find it, because it isn't something that leaves the shop, and I appreciate that it still works after 30 years. Know what I mean?

Desperate for a calculator, I stopped by the dollar store where I splurged on two replacements. $2 for the pair! And they are great. The buttons and display are larger than my old one, and actually have a very good feel. I almost bought a pink one, thinking it would be easier to spot from across the shop. Maybe next time.

I'm thrilled with them. Only downside is they don't do TRIG, etc. I asked the woman at the checkout if they had trig charts. She just stared. I don't think she got the joke.

no way you'd find trig charts at a dollar store -- the cost way more than that.

Comment

Every lathe, mill and drill in my shop has a £1 calculator taped to the machine with that double sided sticky draught foam tape.

Saved me a few mistakes over the years just checking sizes i have done in my head.

Which goes to prove a £1 calculator is better than experience [ at least in my case ]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I got one of those nice $1 calculators with the huge keys at Target when I the batteries on my hp 32S shop calculator died. I found it was cheaper to buy a new calculator than new batteries!

Love my hp's but $$$'s are $$$'s!

Comment

Slight variation to John's double sided tape I have a 20yr old solar powered one stuck on the head of the mill with Velcro so I can take it off and lose it

Comment

A fun fact! I had a half dozen or so dead solar-powered calculators of various brands, yes I save almost everything. Out of curiosity I opened one up with the intent of seeing what made it tick and then pitching them. To my surprise I found that all but one of them had a button cell battery and a FAKE solar cell.
            Imagine that, being cheated by the Chinese!
            Mike

Comment

I did manage to find a $1 or $2 trig calculator at Wal-Mart around Christmas time. It has all the normal functions, but is not programmable. I believe it is dual powered, battery and solar. Only problem is the buttons and display are a bit small. But it works just fine. I keep it in the shop. I should have gotten a half dozen.

Christmas shopping season is a good time to look for bargains. August, before school opens is also good.
              Paul A.

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I have 4 or 5 of the Sharp 44 model metric converter calculators hanging around. That particular model is solar powered, but is also one of the few that has instant conversions for ft3 to m3 - essential to my work. All at $14 CDN. I bought one every time I saw them, so have 4 or 5 to cycle through the ost and found status.
                Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

I have a Derck's Dial Gauge in the shop somewhere and I can't find it, can't get a replacement for those anymore. Bummed out.
                  The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

If you do find it, check on the thread data. I have two, one with data for unf and one for the old SAE/ASME standards. That suddenly explained some of my threading problems. The SAE version is now in the antique tool box.

Comment

John, can't you do sines cosines or tangents in your head?

Comment

Working...
                      X