What to do with a drill press column?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a drill press column?

Saw a floor standing drill press column and base the other day for $35.

Almost snagged it but couldn't think of an application, other than to saw it off and make a pedestal for something.

It's been bugging me ever since. If I don't go back and get it, and someday come up with the perfect application I'll kick myself. But still can't think of an application.

Might make a sturdy bench grinder or belt sander stand.

Comment

Spindle housing?
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I would offer less and take home and set it in the corner of the shop and wait to deside on what to do with it.

Comment

Arbor press stand with grinder on the back side. Anvil stand, vise stand, cut it down and put a table top on it, mail box pole, turn it into a drill press or small milling machine, a lamp for the house.
          Andy

Comment

I've seen machine shops use old drill press base/column/table assemblies to support long stock. Pretty easy to move around, and to adjust the height. You could easily fab a support to take the place of the table.

Comment

The column might be good for making rollers for belt sanders. At least the OD has been turned and is somewhat round. Or how bout cylinders for a model engine? Nice cast tube- it should bore up nice.

I wonder how much pressure the column casting would withstand-
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I have the DRO for my large lathe mounted on basically the same thing ... end-bell from pump motor sitting on the floor with pipe flanges on both ends of a 3" piece of pipe mounted on top of the end-bell. Put a piece of angle on the top flange to mount the DRO. Tucks into the notch between/behind the headstock and the sheet metal chip catcher.
                Cheers,
                Gary

Comment

Go back and see if they have the rest of the machine. Do not use the word drill press.

Comment

teach you woman to dance around it?
                    "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

Comment

I've been looking for a piece of one to work up for a cylindrical square.
                      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Cylindrical square- good idea! Maybe there's an accessory for the mill that could use a piece of it-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                          The column might be good for making rollers for belt sanders. At least the OD has been turned and is somewhat round. Or how bout cylinders for a model engine? Nice cast tube- it should bore up nice.

I wonder how much pressure the column casting would withstand-
                          A little OT, but what I found interesting is that my 40 EUR cheap taiwanese drill press had the outside of the column ground on a cylindrical grinder. On the inside one can see it is like 1.5 mm thick tube with a weld seam. And yes, it mic's 46.00 mm from end to end
                          Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

I had exactly this originally as a swing out table, that I kept the mill vice/rotab on alongside the mill. I made a fixed ring and left the table loose so I could swing it to the mill bed after bringing the table to the same height.
                            Only, now I've reappropriated it as part of a work stand for my boring bar which its also perfect for with a few more tweaks.

I'm on the look out for another to remake back into a swing table for my mill

Comment

Originally posted by steverice View Post
                              teach your woman to dance around it?
                              I don't think my woman can make that tight a radius.

Comment

Working...
                              X