OT: I hate [email protected]#~king Adobe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: I hate [email protected]#~king Adobe

Every couple of days I'm getting a message saying flash needs updating, have to do this because I can't watch you tube video's without, just keep getting crash report.

Uploaded latest yesterday and all fine.

Came this morning, clicked on a link and it crashed, screen just flickers like it's trying to load and even takes ages to close down.

Fed up of this. Flash is the only Adobe program I have on this machine, won't allow any other one here.

Adobe needs listing with Norton as a virus.

Is there ant other choices to see video's on you tube without flash ?

Signed videoless in the 21st century.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Comment

Magic, that's sorted you tube but uninstalled all adobe products off this machine now, You Tube still OK but the BBC news site still needs flash ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

My computer was doing the same thing with Adobe. Then it started running Reeeeaaallllll slooowwww.
        Finally it crashed.
        I thought it was a Virus, so I took it to my local Computer Nerd to have it repaired.
        Turns out, a file didn't finish updating (Damn Windows and their stupid 'updates'), and the corrupted file screwed up my whole system.
        Knowledgeable Computer Geek fixed it for me.

Comment

I used to have a lot of Adobe stuff on my machine (had the Writer for docs) and I can honestly say its the worst piece of S*^$ I have ever had on my machine. Took me about a day to actually remove it all (as it does some nasty hidden hooking in the registry) and now I only have flash (which always wants to "update" and never works right. After many issues I just gave up on it and now when it asks to update I tell it no (as it doesnt have a "go F$%&$ yourself button, and it should).
          Have no issues with you-tube, but some sites wont run right .... just don't bother with those istes

Comment

Yep - Adobe sucks. Based on my experience, flash requires constant attention to keep it running correctly. HTML5 is the way to go; if a site doesn't yet support it, they will soon.

Comment

Well John, at this point you may as well be using an iPad.
              Cheers,
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                Yep - Adobe sucks. Based on my experience, flash requires constant attention to keep it running correctly. HTML5 is the way to go; if a site doesn't yet support it, they will soon.
                I agree -- Flash sucks. The Flash cookies are the reason when you go to Ebay or Amazon, the "You might like..." sidebar pops up stuff related to the videos you were just watching.

As far as HTML5 -- that's a huge industry battle. All the online retailers that use Flash cookies to exchange information about you want to kill HTML5.

The history is pretty interesting: Adobe bought Flash when it acquired Macromedia in 2005. Flash and HTML5 are just containers - you could use any arbitrary video decoder with either container. Macromedia Flash uses the VP6 codec from ON technologies. ON also wrote the VP7 codec used in Skype.

But here's the amusing part: ON wrote the VP8 codec that Google bought to use as the video codec for HTML5 videos on Youtube (Google owns Youtube)

In other words, the Flash and HTML5 (on Youtube) are using video codecs from the same company.
                Last edited by lazlo; 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
                  As far as HTML5 -- that's a huge industry battle.
                  Hah! Was on the HTML5 WG for a bit, and, you are more correct than you know... (working on 3D graphics, so video codecs, etc, were not my focus when on this group) (represented Web3D Consortium, and to as much of an extent as possible, my employer, the Canadian Government)

Another JohnS.

Comment

Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

That and Reader one of the few programs I have on "manual update". I'm a few revs behind and happy to leave it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                        Magic, that's sorted you tube but uninstalled all adobe products off this machine now, You Tube still OK but the BBC news site still needs flash ?
                        http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer...t_iplayer.html

woops, wrong bit... you want news...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/h...wbycountry.stm

Comment

I don't like flash because of the cookies problem. I'd bet most people don't even know how to manage cookies in flash as it is that weird. I do like the Adobe CS-6 software suite, though, but at $2500 ($600 if you take a web design class at your local JC) it is rather spendy.

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
                            I don't like flash because of the cookies problem. I'd bet most people don't even know how to manage cookies in flash as it is that weird.
                            Agree 100% Dennis. I think that's the entire reason for the existence of HTML5, and the whole reason Ebay, Amazon, and all the other online retailers are trying to kill it: because people generally don't know about Flash SuperCookies, let alone that clearing your browser cookies has no effect on them.

You Deleted Your Cookies? Think Again
                            http://www.wired.com/business/2009/0...s-think-again/
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

.... Somehow I doubt online retailers who LOVE nothing more then to track your every fart want to get rid of flash for that reason.

More likey the fact its an insecure, slow, pos that isent working on iphones. (Not that I care about iphones, but I bet ebay/amazon does)
                              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                              X