Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi everyone!! and South Bend users!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hi everyone!! and South Bend users!!!

    Hi everyone, im a noo guy on here.. looking forward to chatting with you guys, ive plenty of
    questions for you.. first off, ive just recently bought a South Bend 9"A lathe.. its in cracking
    condition and nice and tight, after breaking my back getting it home i decided to strip it down
    check every part and replace as nessasary...
    Once all in pieces i found nothing wrong.. all the gears were fine, also in the threading gearbox was
    perfect! every part received oil that should.. theres no 'play' anywhere that i could see! i dont think
    this lathe has seen much work in its life time?
    Anyway, ive cleaned repainted and rebuilt it to its former glory..

    Can anyone tell me when this lathe was born..

    On the bed the number is 69T8TT
    On the threading gearbox it says.. 9in workshop lathe Model A Cat No 4444-Z
    On the gearcasing door.. Catalog No 477Z Model B9W (Is this a different door?)

    Many Thanks, Rustyiron

  • #2
    You can find most info on your lathe at www.wswells.com

    Comment


    • #3
      I had an old South Bend lathe and contacted them with the serial no. off the end of the bed. They must keep very good record, because they came back with the exact date it was built.
      If I remember correctly now it was built on a date in Jan. 1922
      Try this link <www.southbendlathe.com/>
      Larry - west coast of Canada

      Comment


      • #4
        Grizzly (the current owner of SB) has all the build data, but he will charge you for the information.

        Comment


        • #5
          Model 444 is a Southbend number for a Model A 9" Workshop lathe.
          Model 477 is a Southbend number for a Model B 9" workshop lathe.
          Z is the bed length, 3-1/2 feet.
          It would seem that something (s) on your lathe have been changed.

          69T is the start of a serial number for a 14" lathe made in 1969.
          However a 14" bed should not fit on a Workshop lathe. It should be wider than the workshop.
          I would check the serial number on the bed again. It should be between the front V way and the front flat way at the tailstock end of the lathe. Perhaps under the tailstock.
          Jim B

          Comment


          • #6
            You can contact grizzly and give them the serial number on the bed by the end of the tail stock . Grizzly has all the data to whom the lathe was originally sold to and all the options that came with it you pay $25.00 for the info and you get felt wipes for the carriage. grizzly still has some original parts

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GEP View Post
              You can contact grizzly and give them the serial number on the bed by the end of the tail stock . Grizzly has all the data to whom the lathe was originally sold to and all the options that came with it you pay $25.00 for the info and you get felt wipes for the carriage. grizzly still has some original parts
              Never received the felt wipers, but then I've sold the lathe.

              Comment


              • #8
                You might find something here: http://www.wswells.com/serial_number.html

                You're Welcome,
                Brian
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

                THINK HARDER

                BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

                MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

                Comment


                • #9
                  For a (later) 9" Workshop lathe the proper serial number should have 4 or 5 or 6 numbers followed by the letter "N"
                  If its a Light 10 the numbers would be followed by a "K".
                  Your model numbers are for 9" workshop lathes.
                  Jim B

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rustyiron View Post
                    Hi everyone, im a noo guy on here.. looking forward to chatting with you guys, ive plenty of
                    questions for you.. first off, ive just recently bought a South Bend 9"A lathe.. its in cracking
                    condition and nice and tight, after breaking my back getting it home i decided to strip it down
                    check every part and replace as nessasary...
                    Once all in pieces i found nothing wrong.. all the gears were fine, also in the threading gearbox was
                    perfect! every part received oil that should.. theres no 'play' anywhere that i could see! i dont think
                    this lathe has seen much work in its life time?
                    Anyway, ive cleaned repainted and rebuilt it to its former glory..

                    Can anyone tell me when this lathe was born..

                    On the bed the number is 69T8TT
                    On the threading gearbox it says.. 9in workshop lathe Model A Cat No 4444-Z
                    On the gearcasing door.. Catalog No 477Z Model B9W (Is this a different door?)

                    Many Thanks, Rustyiron


                    Urr.. I made a cockup... The number on the bed is 118169

                    I read it upsidedown without my glasses

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      118169 without any letters following would have been shipped 10/2/1941
                      Jim B

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It would really help things if you would edit your profile to tell us where you are from.
                        John Titor, when are you.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Im from the UK.. i will fill my profile, Thanks

                          Rustyiron

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jim B View Post
                            118169 without any letters following would have been shipped 10/2/1941
                            Hi Jim, so what would 444-R mean? #110566 JFP NYA US GOV 4 1/2 bed
                            MASS #636
                            Im thinking 1941 -- Tony Wells email doesnt work for me. sam

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jim B View Post
                              118169 without any letters following would have been shipped 10/2/1941
                              Hi Jim, Ive just had another look.. there are 3 letters (very small) following the number.. JFP

                              Thanks Rustyiron

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X