I could not give them away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could not give them away!

A couple of months ago I was given an Atlas lathe and a whole pile of tools and tooling by a fellow who I helped out a bit with some parts for his hobby, he told me to keep what I wanted and donate the rest to the club. I took the lathe to a meeting of about 60 members and only one showed any interest, so we gave him the lathe and he is having a lot of fun renovating it. Last night I took a 25 lb basket of assorted home made boring bars in to the meeting, told the members to take what they wanted and put a donation in the kitty, I ended up bringing half of them home.Is this a sign that we all have too many tools, and too much tooling.? When I was a beginner I bagged anything I thought useful,because I had so little and could not afford to actually buy much. Do we not have impecunious beginners in our hobby any more? Regards David Powell.

too many tools, and too much tooling
    Uh, April 1st was a while ago....
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

I think the "young generation" will only accept NEW things. Any old "used" stuff
      is "just junk" to them. They have been given new things all their life, including
      a new car while in high school etc. etc. :-(
      I don't have much hope for, not just the machining hobby but society in general.
      ...lew...

Comment

I'd probably have bought them, lol, as long as they weren't wasted out.

Comment

Possible reasons: boring bars didn't use carbide inserts; too big for my lathe; don't know how to grind HSS tooling; etc.; etc.

Comment

That's very generous of you David, I would have donated for some if they fit my machines but I wasn't there. Lew, I am of the younger crowd and I prefer older stuff, most everything new is junk. I was not given a car lol.

That being said I am not like most of my friends, and don't have any others my age that are into tools and old machines.

Comment

David - you took it to the wrong meeting! Shoulda brought it out here in Ottawa.

I did a talk to about 25 "HO" "S" "N" and "O" scalers on the Easter Saturday here in Ottawa on working with metal. One or two were really interested, and are looking at larger machinery for scratch building in the larger scales. (Sherline, Taig, Unimats abound in this club, but something larger might have worked well)

One of the members passed along an old Unimat Mk1 from the '50s - the CNC stepper motors should be here Monday, the stepper controllers a few days later. The price for the Unimat - a bit of machining for the donator.

(you can see the old Unimat on my blog, and follow the CNC conversion, as it happens - blog address should be below)

The interested people asked keen questions - they were not just being polite.

Just FYI - see you at the tracks this summer;

John A. Stewart.

Comment

Maybe people didn't want to appear greedy and just took a small amount. I refuse very little although as I get older I don't take heavy stuff anymore unless I rope my 3 sons into helping or rather doing it for me as I am very disabled nowadays , they are very good normally.I did in the past take or buy rather big quantities and sort everything out when I got home giving away most of it to friends etc. Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

What club David?

Comment

Thats too bad, I take anything I can get my hands on. Every now and then my buddy cleans his shop and gathers up a junk box of metal bits to give to the scrapers ..... and if Im their I will take the whole lot lol. Anything I don't want I can scrap, but I find even little cut of bits of steel can be made into something. Maybe because I have always been broke and a pack rat, I much prefer making things from old scrap than new metal, kind of like "pocket book friendly recycling"

Comment

When I lived in new york I used to haunt the machine shop supply houses like Romax off rt110 near farmindale long island. They had tables and racks full of stuff and it was usually cheaper than catalog prices. used to get the odd tool bit that one of the guys who worked in the machine shop. Moving down here in louisiana when I needed a stiff boring bar I went to the local junk yard and bought the shaft off a compressed air cylinder. Some filing and grinding I had one stiff bar. No clubs down here. Frank

Comment

You could always offer the rest of them on here. I am sure somebody could put them to good use for shipping.

Comment

Agreed, those who took some likey only took that what they actualy thought they would need and wanted to leave some for others.

Others likey already have a decent collection of cheap chinese boring bars that fit the bill, along with some more expensive bars too.

Boring bars used to be more special, but now you can get an assortment of basic HSS holding bars or brazed carbide bars for $20 a set.
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

that's a shame. If i were there, i'd get as many different size as I could. I have 2 different size boring bars, and I need more.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                              I think the "young generation" will only accept NEW things. Any old "used" stuff
                              is "just junk" to them. They have been given new things all their life, including
                              a new car while in high school etc. etc. :-(
                              I don't have much hope for, not just the machining hobby but society in general.
                              ...lew...
                              Exactly "the last laugh" just wait till they retire then they will appreciate
                              the so called junk. Thats right, my 1985 Lincoln is new to me. Goes like this,
                              they would never give me a loan for a new Lincoln, with my SS check and
                              then I would nt live long enough for a loan. there ya goe

Comment

Working...
                              X