N.A.M.E.S. expo 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.A.M.E.S. expo 2013

Set up will start this afternoon @ the Yack, there are 11 people signed up for the steam course. 44 vendors have reserved table and both space for this year.
    Both exhibitors,vendors, please read and review the changes in the rules for this year.

Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Hey Glen...do you happen to know if there is a consignment booth this year? I have a small table top mill that I'd like to consign.

-Jacob

Comment

Nope State laws in Michigan, for non profits don't allow it currently. The sales fall under a section of the non profit laws. The type of non profit the group is doesn't qualify. That is the way it was explained to me by the legal eagle! If you are friendly with a dealer, you might talk to them about selling it.
      I keep thinking that I should get a booth and do a consignment table. But a couple of the exhibitors and people at last years show like to go goofy when it was brought up. Don't know why it bothered them so much but it did and family health and other issues kept me from doing it this year" Maybe next year
      Glen
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Originally posted by PTSideshow View Post
        Nope State laws in Michigan, for non profits don't allow it currently. The sales fall under a section of the non profit laws.
        I'm attending this year, but I've never been to the N.A.M.E.S. expo before.

I was expecting a sort of combination vendors expo, seminars and flea market type atmosphere.

Does this mean there won't be any private individuals setting up tables and selling they're extra stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by jmarkwolf View Post
          I'm attending this year, but I've never been to the N.A.M.E.S. expo before.

I was expecting a sort of combination vendors expo, seminars and flea market type atmosphere.

Does this mean there won't be any private individuals setting up tables and selling they're extra stuff?
          There will be 44/45 vendors, that payed money for the booths and or tables. The policy NAMES has had for the 24 years of the show there is no selling at exhibitors tables for any reason. People that do will be asked to leave. There will be seminars, plenty of vendors, and considering that it will be more old farts sitting around yacking it up that should qualify as flea market atmosphere more so if lots of people eat the chili!
          Glen

Comment

As well as seeing the exhibits, I was hoping to find some odd and ends, like replacement handles for my Bridgeport, and maybe felt sets and way covers, etc. I was also hoping to get a bargain on a Mitutoyo Quill DRO.

Are these kinds of things not likely to be available there?
            Last edited by jmarkwolf; 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM.

Comment

You've got a good chance. There are several vendors who deal in used machine stuff. Used parts, NOS, jigs & fixtures, cutting tools, and then there's some new Chinese imports. Of course it's a toss up if they've got exactly what you want, but it's a good time to ask since they're probably only displaying a portion of what they actually have stashed somewhere.

Originally posted by jmarkwolf View Post
              As well as seeing the exhibits, I was hoping to find some odd and ends, like replacement handles for my Bridgeport, and maybe felt sets and way covers, etc. I was also hoping to get a bargain on a Mitutoyo Quill DRO.

Are these kinds of things not likely to be available there?
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

As been said you will have ample opportunity to get some bargains. Most of the used dealers would rather sell it than haul it home There are a number of vendors that advertise in the magazines of our forum sponsors. Little machine shops pallets have arrived. The progress is moving along pipe was started to be laid out on the tables this afternoon. The air lines and such should be up tomorrow.

The steam class is in full mode and when they broke for lunch it looked like everybody was happy. There should be decent weather will a slight amounts of moisture falling form the sky. But then again that can change.
                Glen

Comment

Hi
                  How about a link to the "changes in the rules for this year." I went to the site, and looked at every link and page but some how found no list of rules other than safety. Obviously i am missing something, please help.

Thanks
                  Bob

Comment

Hi
                    One more item, I saw it said setup is 8am Friday morning. Can I assume that means no one can reserve or block out tables before 8am on friday? ie if I am first in line
                    all exhibitor tables are available?

Thanks

Bob

Comment

Yeah, that's the theory, but apparently the guys that did the setup work also get an earlier choice of tables. I will also be there first thing and we will both see exhibits already set up when we walk in. No matter, there will still be plenty of open tables.
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by PS4steam View Post
                        Hi
                        One more item, I saw it said setup is 8am Friday morning. Can I assume that means no one can reserve or block out tables before 8am on friday? ie if I am first in line
                        all exhibitor tables are available?

Thanks

Bob
                        Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                        Yeah, that's the theory, but apparently the guys that did the setup work also get an earlier choice of tables. I will also be there first thing and we will both see exhibits already set up when we walk in. No matter, there will still be plenty of open tables.
                        This is part of the reason that the rules that have been will be enforced along with the city politiaco's wanting to charge more days rent.

Nobody That is setting up display's anything at the show. Considering that the handful that set the show up are there from 9am on Monday, till teardown is complete Sunday up and till midnight some years. Even if they did pick a spot early, why would any one care. Can't keep an eye on the stuff and take care of problems that happen.
                        The only tables that have been reserved are the groups that are coming en mass and made prior arrangements with the board. The machinist group that needs space for the equipment etc. N.E.M.E.S, a group from IND. and a couple of others.
                        Originally posted by PS4steam View Post
                        Hi
                        How about a link to the "changes in the rules for this year." I went to the site, and looked at every link and page but some how found no list of rules other than safety. Obviously i am missing something, please help.

Thanks
                        Bob
                        The post seems to have vanished from the search function, on this forum. Here is a link to the N.A.M.E.S forum on the stak.http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=144
                        Glen

Comment

I was going to drive up for this event to purchase some tooling, but if I read this correctly there will NOT be anything for sale, am I correct?

THANX RICH
                          People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

I was wondering if a vendor list is provided some where as I couldn't find one

Comment

Originally posted by v860rich View Post
                              I was going to drive up for this event to purchase some tooling, but if I read this correctly there will NOT be anything for sale, am I correct?

THANX RICH
                              There will be 44/45 vendors, EXHIBITORS can not sell anything at the display tables. And there will be NO consignment table!
                              Glen

Comment

Working...
                              X