Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a Pre WWII lathe

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/tls/3704523833.html
    I thinking about restoreint it. The story is it is a one owner bought in 1940? Any info would help...

RobBob

It has features that remind me a lot of my 1910 Star lathe. The article I did on it's restoration and fitting up a drive for it is entitled "A Star Shines Again - Restoring an old Lathe HSM Vol. 29 No. 5 Sept-Oct 2010. It should help out with the project.

Even my old Star didn't run the gears fully exposed like this one. I'm guessing someone took off the guards. Keep your eyes open for them even in broken condition when you go to look it over. The lathe should have over a dozen change gears with it.

I wouldn't hesitate too long if you really want to do this project. It could be already gone.

Comment

That lathe was purchased long before WWII, probably well before WWI. If you want an antique to restore, go for it. If you are looking for a useable lathe, keep looking.

Edited to add this link to what is purported to be a circa 1910 LeBlond lathe that was on display in the LeBlond lobby.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=11497
      Last edited by JCHannum; 04-15-2013, 03:51 PM.
      Jim H.

Comment

I'm not sure what's up with the welded gussets on the stand. Original or No? The stand is probably the best, most attractive element of an old lathe like that.
        Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

The stand is a "modern" addition and not original.
          If you get it get all the drive parts incl the motor.
          Nice old Leblond, nicer if it had the original legs.

Paul

Comment

Interesting old lathe. Probably be good as a conversation piece, but not so much as a working lathe given it even lacks a quick change gear box. If you plan to use it frequently it would be akin to restoring an old Stanley Steamer to use as a daily driver. Workable, just not practical.

You may want to check with Tony at lathes.uk to see what he has in the way of literature and you may want to look here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/leblond/index.html

Comment

I myself would leave well alone I think you could do better with a slightly more modern machine but that's just how I think sorry.I laugh at the patter of these people I am looking for a good home he's looking for one thing and one thing only MONEY LOL sorry don't listen too much to me ask someone who is more experienced in these matters as I am not well versed in older machinery spare parts,and difficulty with wear etc please caw cannie which is an old SCOTTISH saying for be slow steady and careful .Very best wishes Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by outlawspeeder View Post
                The story is it is a one owner bought in 1940?
                If it was bought in 1940, it was bought as a 50+ year old used lathe! Overhead belt-drive went by the wayside when electricity and motors were used to power machine tools.
                Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

I kind of doubt that it is a 1 owner lathe as well. I don't think too many people had the money back then to buy a brand new lathe to stuff in there basement, and the ones that did probably didn't have a clue as to what a lathe was.

As the others have said, if you are just looking for an antique project to restore, that one looks as good as any. If you are looking to restore it and then put it to work, I think I would keep looking for something newer.

Comment

The CL poster never said his father was the original owner. The 4 step cone pulley on the feed shaft was equivalent to a quick change feed system. There doesn't appear to be a cross slide but you can thread straight in. Giant bronze bushings in head stock. It'll probably be good for another century or two. I'd buy it myself if I didn't have 3.
                    Larry on Lake Superior

Comment

Working...
                    X