Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knurling upto a head - help ideas please.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knurling upto a head - help ideas please.....

I need to make a quantity of Pivot pins (around 100) with a head of 5/8" (16mm), they have a body of 5/16" (8mm) and i want to add a straight knurl or spline the area under directly under the head, but only for about 1/4".

The reason for this is that the pin is fitted through an acetal plastic cover and i need to make sure the pin and cover do not rotate relative to each other.

i don't have a knurling tool and many of the ones i see cant cope with knurling upto a step. so without spending a fortune does anyone have any suggestions or products that i could use, i did toy with getting a fairly robust slitting saw, mounting it on a bearing/arbour in the tool post and seeing what apppens as that was pressed into the job.

oh material of the part is free cutting 303 stainless.

Cheers
    brian

You can get a regular straight knurl and make your own holder for cheap. Use a close fitting dowel pin for the axle and make the holder offset so that the left side is open and the dowel pin is a press fit in the right side. Use a washer or make a small boss to space the knurl wheel a little off the side of the holder on the right side of the knurl. Grease the axle and slide the knurl on the left side and you're ready to roll!. The knurl will be retained on the holder by moving it right to left so the wheel bears against the side of the holder.

Comment

At that size, my first thought was some sort of ridged pliers to crimp the serrations.

For that use the serrations do not need to be uniform nor very deep.

If they need to be more uniform the fine tooth slitting saw used as a knurler is a good idea.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I've seen knurl wheels that are not the full diameter for the full face width. My thought being that you can then use a larger knurl wheel so the holder does not interfere with the step in the workpiece while retaining only the smaller width you want, but... I can't find them to buy anywhere at the moment? help?

Comment

You can buy recessed knurl wheels that allow you to go right up to a shoulder.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

they're nice John, any idea on price and where from?

Thanks for the ideas gents, you got me thinking, so i got hold of a cheapo knurling tool and thinned the holder and one side of the knurl, the reason for thinning theknurl is so that it has a sharp edge on the side that will abut the head of the pins i have to make.

[/URL]

I haven't tried it in earnest yet, so the plan may fail due to the hardness of the knurl, it ground easily in the T&C grinder, which leads me to think it's a bit soft, time will tell.

Brian

Comment

Gringing easily with a good grinding wheel doesn't mean soft. It often means the opposite. Malleable metal that is easily moved can be torn by a grinding wheel and gum up between the hard particles in the wheel. Harder and more brittle metal will be more easily chipped off by the hard particles in the wheel.

Long live homemade knurling tools ! They're the best. But I hope your pins are soft ?
              Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Brian, got mine ages ago from J&L
                Let me check tomorrow see if I have any spares.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                X