I need to make some dummy rockets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to make some dummy rockets...

I need to make six (dummy) rockets for an aircraft in our museum.

They were type RP-3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RP-3 the explosive heads were 6" diameter and about 10" long and I would like ideas on how to make the dummy replicas. Gas bottles, old fire extinguishers etc are all good ideas but I am unlikely to be able to find six of anything all the same. Turned in wood is an idea but I cringe at the clean up job in my workshop afterwards.

Oh, if these turn out OK there are another four aircraft in our collection that would/might have carried them.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

John

Ducting lIke for central heating. Comes in abunch of diameters an lengths. there is a seam you'll have to hide though.

Comment

Cardboard!

Take the profile and mark off "widths" the thickness of the cardboard. Then, cut circles out of flat cardboard using these diameters and glue the stack together. You can make the "fins" in the back the same way.

For the final, smear with body putty, sand, and paint.

If you can handle a scissors, a bottle of glue, and a compass, you'll be able to make perfect replicas!

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

The cardboard tubes that carpet shops throw out ? With moulded fibreglass nose cones ?
        Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Check with the maintenence dept. for your local schools, the city, manufacturing plants, utility, etc.
          since your doing this for a museum they may be able to get you fire extinguishers that can't pass testing
          and headed for scraping at little or no cost.
          Check with your local dive shops for dive tanks that no longer pass Hydro or visual (interior) testing and are unusable.
          The local lumber or concrete yard would have "Sonotube" (cardboard tube) for concrete footers (I think 6" is about the smallest)
          and they're cheap.
          I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
          Scott

Comment

Make a mold for a concrete warhead like the practice rounds cited in the Wiki article.
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

What about PVC tube? Cheap and plentiful.

Comment

Another vote for PVC pipe.I needed a few feet awhile back and didn't want to buy a whole 21' stick.Went by our local public works utility and asked them for some drop pieces.They had some 3 footers they were more than glad to get rid of free of charge.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The rocket stage was 3" diameter and there were several warheads available. It should be easily possible to turn a nose cone on a metal or wood lathe from glued up hardwood. They appear to have a circular profile rather than tapered nose. Butter it up with drywall putty and give it a good coat of paint and stuff it on to a piece of PVC pipe. The fins can be 1/4" ply.

More exotic but certainly achievable is to turn a form and spin some from sheet aluminum.

Craft shops have rigid foam decorations that could be fiddled with - part a 6" foam sphere and glue it to a 6" foam round dowel. Go at it with the filler coating of your choice and paint.
                  Last edited by dp; 04-16-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

I as well was going to mention PVC.
                    Andy

Comment

PVC? Bah! That will make a noodley rocket, and will eventually sag. You don't want to give the impression that your plane was shooting bananas. Look for some 3" thin wall conduit from an electrical supply and put sheet metal fins on it. The Palestinians do it for a hobby and fly theirs. The mockup will last forever and look good.
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

There are several high power rocketry online store that might have what you need.

LOC-Precision

PML Airframes

PML Nosecones

Wildman Rocketry

Hope this helps you out.
                        No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.

Comment

Thanks for all those ideas!

John

Comment

Cardboard tubes work pretty well and don't sag if well painted.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I think we have 'irrigation' aluminium water pipe for the rocket shafts, it is just the 6" diameter warheads that will be the challenge.

Comment

Working...
                              X