Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: I'm having a tough time seeing this as part of a pressure cooker.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: I'm having a tough time seeing this as part of a pressure cooker.

Any idea what it looked like before the explosion?
    Last edited by winchman; 04-17-2013, 12:55 AM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

The object in the picture to the right is the duffel bag the bomb was transported in. Considering the force of the blast I'm surprised how much is still left of the pressure cooker.
    More pics in the link below.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=868_1366153308
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

The pressure relief valve is right under his hand.
      The bّmb used black powder, which is a low velocity conflagrant, so you need to contain it in a pressure vessel to generate an explosion.

You can see during the blast that the explosion wasn't very intense, and the cloud of white smoke is classic black powder. What made the devices so destructive for such primitive construction is that they duct-taped the pressure cookers with nails, ball bearings, and nuts, which is why the devastating injuries were to the legs.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I was thinking the same thing ... "that's part of a pressure cooker?". The ones I've seen (for canning) have thick walls and that includes a thick hefty lid that has interlocking tabs. If that IS part of a pressure cooker, I wouldn't use it in MY kitchen. Have the Chinese sunk to new lows? ... selling regular cook pots, that they poke pressure gauges and valves into the lids, as pressure cookers?
        Cheers,
        Gary

Comment

There was a "How It's Made" where they were making pressure cookers from stamped parts. The tops were stamped out and then the edges rolled to create a flange.

The picture from the explosion is the lid. It's crumpled but the section under the person's finger is the flange. The rivet for one of the latches is still there at about 1 o'clock. The pressure relief valve has been replaced by a bolt.

Had they used a GOOD pressure cooker like my mom used (cast iron, 1/2 inch thick sides) it suspect it would have been even worse.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I have the same reaction as Gary. I have an all american canner made of 1/4 inch cast aluminum made about 50 miles from my house in Wisconsin that runs 15 PSI and also a generic Chinese 10 psi stovetop pressure cooker thats basically a thinwalled steel pot. I'm not nervous about my canner at all.

15 psi across 18 inch wide canner is about 270 pounds so 1/4 inch aluminum is slight overkill. On the other hand 10 psi across a 6 inch cooker is only 60 pounds, and it doesn't take much steel to hold 60 pounds.

Maybe its not longitudinal "splitting" strength limited but holding the lid on limited. If I did my math right, 3600 pounds trying to pop the lid off my canner at full blast, so 1/4 inch aluminum seems reasonable, but the cookpot only has about 270 pounds trying to pop the lid off so I'm nervous about the cheap thin steel but still 300 pounds sounds survivable. It looks less than 10 times as wimpy as the steel ramps that hold my car up while I work on it, so...

Comment

Originally posted by vincemulhollon View Post
              a generic Chinese 10 psi stovetop pressure cooker thats basically a thinwalled steel pot.
              If you look at the LiveLeak pictures Willy posted, the whole bottom of the pot is intact, including the UL Listing and the manufacturer's lot number. So it's not generic Chinese

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

yeah looks like pressure cooker to me - could have been allot worse if they did a few elementary things different so lets just be thankful for that, it's a sad day and age fella's... and Cowards is a good word choice...

edit; This really disturbs me as im sure it does anyone with any compassion at all,
                but I got to thinking about this yesterday and I would think with all the cell/camera phones going on and people using them at this event - even before things hit the fan I bet there's a pretty good chance someone has something recorded, so even if they were careful with prints and such I think this person or persons will be found out, not to mention all the other ways things can be traced nowadays, and by the looks of the construction of the bomb I think it's safe to say were not dealing with brilliance here, My guess is there going to get caught, and I hope we hang em out to dry when they do...
                Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 04-17-2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                  I would think with all the cell/camera phones going on and people using them at this event - even before things hit the fan I bet there's a pretty good chance someone has something recorded
                  The FBI said it has an unprecedented amount of video of the scene. There are 17,000 marathoners, plus all their families, the normal downtown Boston traffic...

Someone got the guy on camera putting the black nylon bag in the trash can. It's a matter of sorting through all the video. It will take weeks, even with an army of investigators.

Comment

Pressure cooker or not,surely we need to start off with a few words of condolence for those poor souls who died and were brutally maimed .An eight year old boy waiting for his daddy and his mother and sister injured beyond words.I will keep them in my prayers again tonight we deserve better than this.These animals have no real idea about what they do or they would never do it to their own people I wonder what fuels such hatred.Or perhaps they are beyond understanding with their vile notions of justice and revenge. Alistair
                    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
                      These animals have no real idea about what they do or they would never do it to their own people I wonder what fuels such hatred.
                      It's not clear that it was foreign terrorism. That's why the FBI still keeps using the term "crime."

It happened on tax day, and it was also Massachusetts Patriot Day, so a lot of folks are wondering if it was some domestic nut-job. I heard an interview with the Michigan Militia, and they asked if the FBI checked the list of marathoners who didn't make the cut for the race. Oddly, the devices detonated after the bulk of the runners (17,000) had finished the race. If they were timed for the main running pack...

It's also very strange that no one has claimed responsibility. So at this point, there are no motives, no suspects (at least, that we're being told)...

The fact that these were low power black powder devices seems to indicate a lone person with limited resources. An ANFO device would have been vastly more destructive. A C4 device would have been incomprehensible...
                      Last edited by lazlo; 04-17-2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Not to detract from the basic thread here, but I also noticed the thin metal and the contrast to the cast aluminum pressure cooker my mother used and perhaps still uses. I have to wonder if perhaps this is a safety feature in that it is less likely to explode in normal use. I mean, that it would distort and leak at a lower point than a cast metal one, which would be stronger and less yielding. This would decrease the risk of an explosion in normal use.
                        Paul A.

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Hidden in plain view? http://www.belgeinfo.com/wp-content/...l-security.jpg

Close fit: http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/ima...asket_new5.jpg
                          Last edited by dp; 04-17-2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I'm the poorest at numbers and chances games but if American Airlines had 'shut down' for five hours last week, I probably would have had little interest. Or of any other airline shutting down, for that matter. But American Airlines? In less than 12 hours after Boston, yet?

--G

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                              Not to detract from the basic thread here, but I also noticed the thin metal and the contrast to the cast aluminum pressure cooker my mother used and perhaps still uses. I have to wonder if perhaps this is a safety feature in that it is less likely to explode in normal use. I mean, that it would distort and leak at a lower point than a cast metal one, which would be stronger and less yielding. This would decrease the risk of an explosion in normal use.
                              Good observation - I think your right on the money, a failsafe of sorts if the main failsafe fails...

I have a thing that I found in a car I bought to sell years ago ---- could not figure out what the hell it was - I stubbornly looked at it for a couple weeks as a brain teaser and still could not get it so I finally gave up and googled it - turns out it was a variable orifice weight apparatus designed for the top of a pressure cooker - makes sense, gravity is dirt cheap and pretty damn dependable - was one of those "damn I should have been able to guess that" moments - coupled to a hard slap in the forehead...

Comment

Working...
                              X