What not to do with a MIG welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What not to do with a MIG welder

Today I made a really dumb mistake. I was tacking a small piece to a big piece and using my hand to hold the small piece in place. I was only wearing a pair of light TIG gloves. No helmet. So I position the small piece put the MIG gun in place, turn my head and pull the trigger. The wire went through the gap, through my glove and into my index finger. It really hurt when the wire hit the bone in my finger! The good thing is the molten tip cauterized the wound on the way out. Nothing serious I hope. Just a swollen finger and it hurts big time.

So the moral of the story is don't get lazy. Use the correct equipment.

Did I mention my finger hurts a lot?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

So you got your training at Orange county choppers?
    Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Just this past week..."tick" off the front of the face shield, had no clue what it was (pretty cold outside so just thought is was plastic creaking), looked where I had been working and one nut of 4 nut and bolt assembled was MIA...had been wire brushing flux and must have just touched the nut, spun it off real quick. Very, very happy I try to play safe.

Comment

That sucks! Very good thing to keep in mind though, keep your hands away from the weld area. Thanks for the lesson!
        Andy

Comment

Before I had an auto darkening lense I had some sheetmetal to tack in place.Position,turn head,tack......did that a hundred times or so.The next day the sid of my face burned like sun sun burn I have ever had.I went and bought my AD soon after.

Comment

Clumsy bastard...........

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I did that years ago in shop class. Put the wire into the ball of my thumb. You have my sympathies.

J

Comment

Watch carefully for infection. I've done that hot poker trick to my knee before.

Comment

Ouch - been there done that - I had snipped the ball off the end of the MIG wire once and it drove the wire through the finger and then arced on the far side turning the wire red hot. That will make you wet your pants!
                  Plain ol Bill

Comment

OWCH, glad to say I have never had the pleasure of jamming a MIG wire through a body part (probably because I consider the MIG a big useless boat anchor, have 2 and never use them). If I cant ARC it, I TIG it. As for the turn head and tack, I never could understand why people do that (first saw this on OCC, and figured "well they are idiots anyway". Even when you dont need to "watch the melt pool" I still like to see what Im doing when even tack welding. Im pretty cheap when it comes to my hobby, but I did spend $300 + on a good AD helmet (more than all my 6 welder cost together, mostly because most were free lol). Have done welding without gloves (and payed the price with nasty burns a day later) but have NEVER welded anything without a helmet on

Comment

I have a tig/stick and bought a MIG for the dirty jobs. I also do the turn your head and tack for some quick deals (most 4 tacks).
                      Andy

Comment

I feel your pain, watch out for infection pop a drop or two of Tea Tree oil on it just in case.

Not to hijack but my worst was the big ball of red hot steel from inside the torch shroud dropped between the big toe & it's neighbour took a chunk of flesh off that never came back, more fool me for welding in dappers (pumps).

Paul
                        Last edited by _Paul_; 04-17-2013, 07:42 PM. Reason: lack of brian cells

Comment

My fav "Worst part of mig welding" story is from my brother...

"Well, I usally wear ear plugs at work. But at home, Yaknow. So here I am doing some overheld welding at home when some splatter manages to make its way into my ear.. And I can hear the earwax boiling away... And that, Is the worst part of welding"
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Stern View Post
                            OWCH, glad to say I have never had the pleasure of jamming a MIG wire through a body part (probably because I consider the MIG a big useless boat anchor, have 2 and never use them). If I cant ARC it,
                            Horses for courses.
                            I'd be dead in the water without a Mig welder, a 15kg reel of 1mm wire lasts me about 4 - 5 weeks.

That rotor is to take a 65mm bearing and 55mm output shaft and is about 8" long of welding.
                            Arc is too messy with slag and changing rods, Tig is just toooo slow. Need to get this all welded in 30 minutes max to turn the job round in just under two hours allowing for natural cooling, machining and new keyway.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I have seen advice on adjusting roller tension for a MIG (even seen this in print!) that goes something like this, hold the tip of the wire against the palm of your hand (with a leather glove) with the trigger pulled then tighten the rollers until the wire is forced out hard enough to bend. Doing this is nothing short of stupid! We had a guy at work a few years ago who did this with .035 that went right through the leather glove, into the palm of his hand, hit a bone in the back of his hand an curled the end of the wire! We had to clip the wire and send him to the ER where a surgeon had to be called in to cut this piece of wire out of his hand. When sniped the end of the wire can be slanted and very sharp but believe it or not a burned end can be even sharper, usually a small ball will form but not always. Sometimes when the arc is stopped the ball will drop off and leave the end of the wire with a tapered point that is sharper than a needle, this point will go right through a leather glove with no effort at all with predictable and extremely painful results.

Comment

Working...
                              X