Shop made Taps....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop made Taps....

I have a need for some odd (large) taps, that will see use mostly in aluminum...any one ever make there own???If so , what from???I was thinking of getting some 8620, or 4150...what say ye???Thanks in advance...oh ...I know I could thread them in the lathe...but want something a little quicker, and the parts are relativity thin....1/4"...and the tap size ...2 1/8-8....These will be QC nuts for motorcycle wheels...and yes some one makes them, but I want to make my own...Shawn

Even in aluminium the amount of torque required to turn a 2.125 tap will be impressive, I'd be tempted to single point them 95% on the lathe and finish to size with a tap.

You're a braver man than I to DIY a tap for what seems to be a fixing with a lot riding on it -pun intended.

Comment

The QC nut only holds the sprocket/brake rotor on....not the wheel...they have been doing this for 40 years...it is not unproven.....Shawn

Comment

I made this one. It was 5/8-11 LH Acme. It was made from 4140 prehard precision rod, the same piece that I made a new lead screw from. I did not harden it an since I was only tapping Delrin but it probably would have gone though aluminum fine. I copied the flutes from a factory 5/8 tap and it cut perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by bob ward View Post
          Even in aluminium the amount of torque required to turn a 2.125 tap will be impressive, I'd be tempted to single point them 95% on the lathe and finish to size with a tap.

You're a braver man than I to DIY a tap for what seems to be a fixing with a lot riding on it -pun intended.
          Hardly,
          At 1/4" thick in alloy he's only going to have two thread in contact.
          Hardest part will be making sure it cuts a thread and not ream the hole out.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Just make one like this: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=43645. No tap needed

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
              Hardly,
              At 1/4" thick in alloy he's only going to have two thread in contact.
              Hardest part will be making sure it cuts a thread and not ream the hole out.
              And gets started straight..... big taps have an issue with that.... actually it is the user, and not the tap that has the issue, but whatever.....

I'd lathe cut these, they will be cut straight (a good thing for nuts), and you won't use a bunch of steel making a tap that isn't the best method for the job, and won't likely see much use again.

Experiment on something smaller. I've made taps out of O-1 for short term use. Ditto with dies. They worked fine, and when done, I basically "binned them".

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

If starting the tap straight or accidently reaming the hole is a problem, maybe it would be easier to tap a longer piece of stock and then part off 1/4" thick slices.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
                  If starting the tap straight or accidently reaming the hole is a problem, maybe it would be easier to tap a longer piece of stock and then part off 1/4" thick slices.
                  I would consider single pointing a longer piece and parting off 1/4" slices.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                    I would consider single pointing a longer piece and parting off 1/4" slices.
                    Now you're talkin'...
                    Keith

Comment

parting off a 6" dia. piece 1/4 " thick is not my idea of fun....http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...0063&_from=R40
                      This is a pic of what I am trying to do...except the "ears "that the wrench fit on are bigger...Shawn

Comment

Bandsaw them at 3/8" and then face off the bandsaw marks. I very very rarely part anything in the lathe. I just cut it off in the bandsaw long and then face it and straiten it up in the lathe.
                        Andy

Comment

Working...
                        X