Hardened D2 as scraper blade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardened D2 as scraper blade?

I was thinking of using some heat treated D2 as a blade for my first scraper rather than trying to heat treat a file. I was thinking of either welding or brazing it to the end of an old file or if I got ambitious, to make an Anderson style scraper to hold the insert.

The reason I am thinking of this is I have a virtually unlimited supply of 58 to 60 rockwell c D2 at my disposal. I would sharpen it as if it were carbide as shown in the scraping for the home shop series.

Any thoughts.

Jimmer;

I would say D2 would make an excellent scraper. D2 is one of the best material choices in stamping dies.
    It is made to be used as a cutting material. D2 is expensive to buy.

My main concern is converting the D2 you have a supply of to scraper tooling. D2 is very difficult to grind after hardening. I would avoid welding or brazing the D2. If possible find a way of putting a handle on a piece of this D2 and use it that way.
    Jim
    So much to learn, so little time

Comment

Thanks outback. Converting it is fairly easy for me as I am the afternoon shift wire edm operator at a large stamping die manufacturer. All the excess D2 I have at my disposal is scraps from wire cutting punches and die steels. So I can setup some scrap when we are slower on one of the machines and cut a bunch of inserts to size then grind after.

Comment

Working...
      X