Opinions on new mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on new mill

Anyone have any opinion on these mills, specifically the model 30LV with 33" table? Is that rather thin looking column going to flex a lot? I was thinking of buying an older Bridgeport but even with my (slightly) larger new shop I am still going to be pressed for space and the fact is a small mill will handle about anything I plan to do "IF" it's not going to flex and chatter! I have for the last couple of weeks been using my heavily braced mini mill and as long as it's not pressed it does an excellent job but it's simply not big enough, no surprise there however. If the small mills such as the one's in the link are going to just be a somewhat larger version of the mini and have the same problems on a larger scale then I will just forget about a new mill and find a Bridgeport and make room for the thing. The model 30 LV in that link looks like maybe what I want and I am thinking about buying it right away, that is unless it's not going to be "up to snuff", any opinions?
    Last edited by radkins; 04-18-2013, 10:46 AM.

What mill?

Comment

Originally posted by radkins View Post
      Anyone have any opinion on these mills, specifically the model 30LV with 33" table? Is that rather thin looking column going to flex a lot? I was thinking of buying an older Bridgeport but even with my (slightly) larger new shop I am still going to be pressed for space and the fact is a small mill will handle about anything I plan to do "IF" it's not going to flex and chatter! I have for the last couple of weeks been using my heavily braced mini mill and as long as it's not pressed it does an excellent job but it's simply not big enough, no surprise there however. If the small mills such as the one's in the link are going to just be a somewhat larger version of the mini and have the same problems on a larger scale then I will just forget about a new mill and find a Bridgeport and make room for the thing. The model 30 LV in that link looks like maybe what I want and I am thinking about buying it right away, that is unless it's not going to be "up to snuff", any opinions?

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-MV-BenchMills.html

Wow, can't believe I did that!

Comment

I have a copy of the pm-30lv
        They are made by weiss
        It was my first mill and so far i'm very pleased with it its done everything i've asked of it
        though i did strip the gearbox whilst flycutting
        the detent that holds the gears can slip and not hold them fully in mesh ( fixed that now)
        I've had it 3 years now and would recommend it fully if you dont have room for anything bigger

Ian

Comment

Radkins,

Check the weight about 1/5th of a Bridgeport type. Generally weight / mass equals a machine that works well. This one I would say light cuts and weight loads or you will get spring and chatter.

Bob

Comment

The one I am considering, the PM 30LV, weighs 480 lbs without the base and 575 with the base but of course as you point out that is considerably lighter than a Bridgeport type. I went to look at a BP a few days ago for $3500 that had a rather ratty DRO setup and a table that had been drilled into horribly but the ways were good and it ran quiet and smooth plus it had a newly rebuilt motor, I passed on that one however (mostly due to it's rough looks) and decided after looking to maybe consider something newer but smaller. I guess it's probably best I spend a little more time looking for a better BP.

Comment

Only advice i can add, is i have the canadian version of the #25 mill, so far no problems, and i,m happy with it. ( i do not do large heavy pieces, too old for any heavy stuff nowdays.)

Comment

Working...
              X