X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT slingshot mania

This guy is having way too much fun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Wow -- bordering on obsession wouldn't you think lol

it was both funny and fascinating...

Comment

Slingshot Registration! We need slingshot registration. And no sales without a background check.

Oh and a ban on plywood, rubber, and tree fork sales.
      Paul A.

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
        Oh and a ban on plywood, rubber, and tree fork sales.
        Criminals will find ways to get tree forks. We cannot stop it.

Comment

They are illegal in Massachusetts I believe.

Comment

He's one of my favorite people on the innert00bz. I'm not sure I've had as much fun as he's having in the past decade.
            ----
            Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

I always thought it would be good to have a slingshot in my backpack, just in case I need something to knock down some food with. Or some variation on the theme- a mini cross-bow for example. I guess I'd be in violation and in need of a severe punishment for it- even though my intentions would be self-preservation and maybe a bit of target practice fun.

You'd wonder how we have been able to survive as a race- we had pellet guns, metal toys, bows and arrows, natural remedies for many things, no genetically modified foods, we lived in houses with lead paint, we melted lead and played with it- heck, I played with gunpowder when I was a teen. There did not seem to be nearly as many Darwin award candidates back then, and there certainly wasn't the degree or extent of controls as exists now.

I'm beginning to understand the extinction of species now- they become intelligent, legal and educational systems develop, then they become stifled with regulations to the point where the social cancer has set in so bad that no further progress is possible- then nature takes over. The earth shudders with volcanic activity and burns all surface life to a crisp, then starts over again cleansed.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by Gazz View Post
                They are illegal in Massachusetts I believe.
                You made me look. http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Ge...r269/Section12

I think it says you can get fined or jailed if you manufacture, sell or advertise them for sale (along with everything else they could think of including bean blowers (pea shooters?)). Oh yeah, unless it is for a sling shot club. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                  I always thought it would be good to have a slingshot in my backpack, just in case I need something to knock down some food with. Or some variation on the theme- a mini cross-bow for example. I guess I'd be in violation and in need of a severe punishment for it- even though my intentions would be self-preservation and maybe a bit of target practice fun.

You'd wonder how we have been able to survive as a race- we had pellet guns, metal toys, bows and arrows, natural remedies for many things, no genetically modified foods, we lived in houses with lead paint, we melted lead and played with it- heck, I played with gunpowder when I was a teen. There did not seem to be nearly as many Darwin award candidates back then, and there certainly wasn't the degree or extent of controls as exists now.

I'm beginning to understand the extinction of species now- they become intelligent, legal and educational systems develop, then they become stifled with regulations to the point where the social cancer has set in so bad that no further progress is possible- then nature takes over. The earth shudders with volcanic activity and burns all surface life to a crisp, then starts over again cleansed.
                  Yes it turns out an asteroid did not kill the dinosores.
                  They formed a governmental system and laws on what could, what couldn't be eaten, for how much, when and by who did. Along with the eventualy registration and lisencing of spikes and teeth.

Body armor was also outlawed for all except those dinosores serving the governments intrests.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

When I was very young, my grandfather taught me how to find the perfect fork from the right hardwoodfor a slingshot and how to use my knife to build one. All of my male friends had homemade sling shots. Several years later I discovered the one to have was factory made with a steel frame, a leather thumb slot to keep the fork 90 degrees to the target, and some type of unobtanium really powerful rubber. After many months of working at whatever a child could do for money, I finally got the ultimate sling shot (ordered from an add in the back of Popular Mechanics)

The really cool older guys could ride their bike with no hands and shoot out street lights. I, of course wanted to be really cool so I practiced a lot. I shot hundreds of rocks at street lights with my slingshot while riding my bike (no hands) with nary a hit until one night when I was on the way to a boy scout meeting with my really cool new sling shot..

I was running late and pedaling as fast as I could when I realized I was coming to a corner, which of course had a street light. I also noticed that across the street from the street light was one of my friend's house and his mother (a school teacher) was sitting on the front porch. Not to worry, I have never hit one before -- this is just another practice shot--so I shot.

When little leather part that held the rock left my hand I knew I was in trouble. Robin Hood never made a straighter shot. My hit not only took out the globe, but the light bulb also.

Mixed emotions - proud that I finally did it and scared to death that the witness would either call the city, my parents, or both.

To close the story, she did neither - but she did give me a stern talking to about consequences when I next saw her. And, I still have the magic slingshot almost 60 years later.

Comparing today with my youth. If the above happened today: the witness would have called 911; I would have been arrested, charged, and convicted for the felony use of an illegal lethal weapon and my parents and grandparents would have been imprisoned for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Yesterday was much better as common sense was still common.

Comment

Daryl,

I'm sure we had the Darwon Award winners. It's just that they weeded themselves out and didn't reproduce. You're right though, since the changes in laws they can't weed themselves out fast enough. Likw John Wayne said,"Life is hard, especially if you'ree stupid,"

Originally posted by darryl View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Jpfalt View Post
                        Likw John Wayne said,"Life is hard, especially if you'ree stupid,"

and that dude spoke from first hand experience...

Comment

Glitzy hardware is cool, but nobody beats this guy's software:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

Best slingshot in the world, period. Not talking about the hardware either.

doug

Comment

And in NJ .Not legal here either, but by accident. The intent was to ban a slungshot ( a weight on the end of a chain or rope) There was a typo in the bill and it was voted in anyway...
                            Last edited by Bob D.; 04-20-2013, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                              And in NJ .Not legal here either, but by accident. The intent was to ban a slungshot ( a weight on the end of a chain or rope) There was a typo in the bill and it was voted in anyway...
                              Ugh, Faith in goverment hitting all time lows.
                              Anyone else realising we can't let these outdated monkeys call the shots since they don't actualy represent us at all?
                              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                              X