Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does material change size or disappear and reappear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does material change size or disappear and reappear?

Yesterday I went looking for some 3/16" AF hex, brass or steel, in my " storage system," but found only 1/4" material. Today I went looking for some 1/4" AF hex, brass or steel, but so far have found only 3/16" material. I do not think I am crazy, my helper is on holiday, so I cannot blame him,my store room is dark and untidy so I might not spot what I need immediately. Is it possible that the material picks up my brainwaves, hates the idea of coming out into the shop to be machined and somehow changes size, or maybe just disappears when I open the door looking for a specific size? Does this happen to other people? Is there a " CURE " Regards David Powell.

Its not just me! Hooray i am not crazy!!!

Comment

Happens to me with wrenches all the time. I need a 7/16" and all I can find are a hundred 9/16". When I need the 9/16", the drawer is full of 7/16". It's a conspiracy!

Dave

Comment

Heck it's anything made of metal, ANYTHING I need becomes completely invisible until I no longer need it due to using something else or just giving up-then there it is plain as day!

I missed my true lot in life as I have a natural talent as a magician, I can stand in one spot and without even trying I can make tools or other items completely vanish!
        Last edited by radkins; 04-19-2013, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Turning down 120 mm diameter rod to 30 mm, just because there was nothing smaller. When returning the stub piece left, found a nice length of 30 mm bar tucked under some channel iron...
          Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

I have the same problem! I have an elderly friend who jokingly talks of the "little people" who come into his shop at night to play tricks on him. Sometimes I think he's serious.

Comment

It's learned behavior. They get is fronm coat handers and unmatched socks.

Comment

David:

I suspect that is the case for car/house keys and eye glasses!

Comment

I had three small pieces of ally under the jaws of my chuck to protect a finished suface.
                  I finished machining, undid the chuck and one piece stuck to the jaw, one piece fell in the chip tray and the last piece vanished from the universe as we know it.
                  that was a week ago, I've cleaned the lathe five times since then and its still not turned up.

little men are real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roy.

Comment

Its part of a set of laws, one of which is if a socket is dropped while working on your car, it automatically rolls to the centre of the vehicle!
                    Max.

Comment

I have at least a half dozen or more tape measures. I can never find one when I need it. If by some miracle I DO find one, it disappears again as soon as I lay it down. So far I haven't had one vanish while I'm actively taking a measurement with it, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
                      ----------
                      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
                        Its part of a set of laws, one of which is if a socket is dropped while working on your car, it automatically rolls to the centre of the vehicle!
                        Max.
                        In my experience it seems to always fall directly into the bottomless hole that is standard equipment on all cars.

Comment

Originally posted by SGW View Post
                          I have at least a half dozen or more tape measures.
                          Ditto. My most frustrating problem isn't losing something I had yesterday or last week--it's losing something I had in my hand 10 seconds ago! I usually don't admit this, but after looking for ten or fifteen minutes, I've thrown up my hands and gone to the freaking hardware store to buy another freaking tape measure.

Of course, when I get home, I set the new tape down next to what? A tape measure.
                          Last edited by ed_h; 04-19-2013, 09:52 PM.
                          For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Wire coathangers will breed in a dark closet, never heard of any hanger cannibalism

Comment

Stevie did it! My brother had an invisible friend when he was young. Stevie was always up to something. My brother passed away 10 years ago and Stevie has lived in my workshop ever since. He constantly moves my stuff, tape measures are his favorites!
                              Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                              Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Working...
                              X