Import Caster Weight Capacity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import Caster Weight Capacity?

I was wondering if you would trust the published weight capacity on cheap import casters? I am guessing good casters like Albion are good for at least what they are rated for and probably more. How do the cheap imports stack up? I may be needing to make some dollies and I am hoping for on the cheap, but I know the old saying you get what you pay for.

Why would you ever use a support element near its rated capacity, Even if you expected its rated capacity to be genuine?

Derate everything and it will last!
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

There are casters of different quality among the imported ones. You may pretty much predict it by simply examining them. I wouldn't trust plastic ones or those that have hard plastic layers around the wheels. Try to stay with metal ones (cast or heavy steel) if posible and check how they're built. If you see something like a flimsy fork or 1/4" bolt serving as a wheel axle, you know it's garbage, right?

I don't think weight capacity rating is a problem. I'd say that many of them fail due to poor design and manufacturing, and their useful lifetime is short not because of an overload, but simply because they cannot withstand normal use. But, as BM said, be on a safe side and don't plan to load any caster to full capacity (although the capacity is, most likely, a conservative figure even for asian import).
      Last edited by MichaelP; 04-20-2013, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Lots of cheap casters will support their rated weight right up to the point where you start to roll them across the floor.

Comment

This is definetly a good question.

I look at these offshore castors, and still don't trust the max weight rating on them.

Certainly buy castors rated higher than your'e expected load.

Comment

I guess it depends on what you mean by offshore. If that is code for China, then any rating is suspect just because of the lack of any sort of policing or penalty for lying. There are, I am sure, fine casters out there, but lack of brand name makes it a crap-shoot.
            On the other hand I have purchased German, French and Korean casters this year, and they are all top notch. Better than anything I was ever able to find in North America.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
              Why would you ever use a support element near its rated capacity, Even if you expected its rated capacity to be genuine?

Derate everything and it will last!
              For a couple of reasons. When you start to get into the larger weight casters the price really starts to go up. This is really for a one time use sort of thing and will not see a lot of duty. Like I said, I am trying not to get a lot of money tied up into it but I need it to do the job.

Also at one point when you bought something that had a capacity rating on it they were usually designed to be used up to and including that number, with there actual rating probably being much higher. Todays day and age seems to publish specs a little on the optimistic side of things. I was just wondering how optimistic these non-branded casters are.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                Lots of cheap casters will support their rated weight right up to the point where you start to roll them across the floor.
                In my experience they'll roll okay, but will fail halfway to your destination.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                  When you start to get into the larger weight casters the price really starts to go up. This is really for a one time use sort of thing and will not see a lot of duty.
                  Check this guy on eBay: handtrucksandcasters I bought quite good casters for my welding table from him. This is one example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390352160563...84.m1438.l2649

Comment

Caster companies are less than honest about ratings,most rate their casters in static load.Rolling load is some multiple of that it's up to you to figure that out.

I usually derate them by 30%,it also helps to know the exact weight of the item you want to roll.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. MichaelP, I have checked that seller out, seems like he has some decent deals. I do have 4 nice heavy duty Albion caster on my welding table that I may be able to steal for a little. I have to try and look them up and see if I can find a rating on them. I would then only have to get 2 others. Not ideal, but it would keep me in a price range I can deal with.

Comment

I find that Surplus Center has one of the best selections of casters with decent prices.

Comment

I agree that buying good quality casters at surplus discount prices is a good approach. The cheap ( i.e. Chinese) casters I've bought always perform poorly once they're installed , often in ways you don't even anticipate. ( For instance, under load, the wheels aren't round, or the swivels don't swivel.) I've even had some caster wheels that smelled so bad , even after months, that I had to throw them out. Sure, it looks odd, but now I never buy any rubber or polymer Chinese product without smelling it first. ( Yeah, that was me at Walmart, smelling the flip flops in the shoe department. Security !)

Comment

I've bought several different sets from Service Caster over the years. They have the best selection I've ever seen and a knowledgeable staff.

JL.....................

Comment

Working...
                            X