1943 Monarch 10ee; need DC Controller installed; Detroit area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1943 Monarch 10ee; need DC Controller installed; Detroit area

Purchased the 10ee at auction which turned out to be one of the University of Michigan offerings. It does have the coolant option which means a lot of rust in that area.

I previewed all of this on the PM Monarch forum relating to getting the lathe operational. That ended with me blowing the Mains in my house, twice (I've done my share of programming and I know that part of the unwritten testing cycle is to try to run code twice before looking for defects). I'm now done with hooking up electrical stuff even though I'm reading 'Electronics for Dummies' and staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

I don't have confirmation that it had been running but the lathe has a SECO 2345 DC controller attached. I had it hooked up to my outlets 240 SP to the Seco which provides 3 phase.

Fast forward to today and my NEW DC controller has been ordered and delivered. A PARKER SSD DRIVES 514C 514C/16.

Here's the manual.
    I'm looking for someone in my area to be my DC Controller integrator and Electrical Trouble shooter. I'm willing to pay for this privilege and we can negotiate after talking. If you have experience with Field weakening solutions that would be desirable. This DC controller is capable of > 300VAC Input by using Buck Boost Transformers. If you don't have the Field Weakening stuff, I'm willing to just get the thing working w/in the capabilities of the Parker.

So who's with me!
    Rob

ME! Kinda...

I just received the poor-man's version of your drive. Got it for £150

Now bearing in mind that there are farm animals with better electrical knowledge than me - let's see who can blow their drive/themselves up first
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

OK. does anyone know a person who does this sort of work? I've tried a number of places and so far no joy.

maybe you can recommend the type of company that would do this work.

Rob
      Rob

Comment

Wow, so which Monarch did you snag, the one for $536, or the one for $1406?

How'd they compare?

What a great project!

Comment

Originally posted by rmuell01 View Post
          OK. does anyone know a person who does this sort of work? I've tried a number of places and so far no joy.

maybe you can recommend the type of company that would do this work.

Rob
          It's a shame no-one has put their hand up with even some basic advice. Whilst I am installing my own drive myself I am very much the novice at electrical installations and I don't want to offer any potentially dangerous advice through my own ignorance.

A benefit for you in using that drive, is that it will control all aspects of the motor's functions including braking and reversing internally and all you have to do is figure out the controls and use low voltages in the switchgear. The only thing it won't do is field weakening, but I have a solution for that which I'm working on. I'll take a look through the manual to see if it'll fit up the same on your device.

What power do you have to supply it with?

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Gee Rob, I've never been to Detroit....Should I pack my Fluke meters, and large bottle of smoke You would want to talk to a motor shop in your area. Any electric motor rewind shop should be able to assist you.

Comment

Originally posted by millwrong View Post
              Gee Rob, I've never been to Detroit....Should I pack my Fluke meters, and large bottle of smoke You would want to talk to a motor shop in your area. Any electric motor rewind shop should be able to assist you.
              yes Frank, you should come to northern Detroit. it'll keep you humble. and it's so much prettier than Manitoba.

I've contacted a number of motor shops with no joy. as soon as you say road trip, they're no longer interested.

I'm contacting Parker through their tech div. We'll see.
              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
                It's a shame no-one has put their hand up with even some basic advice. Whilst I am installing my own drive myself I am very much the novice at electrical installations and I don't want to offer any potentially dangerous advice through my own ignorance.

A benefit for you in using that drive, is that it will control all aspects of the motor's functions including braking and reversing internally and all you have to do is figure out the controls and use low voltages in the switchgear. The only thing it won't do is field weakening, but I have a solution for that which I'm working on. I'll take a look through the manual to see if it'll fit up the same on your device.

What power do you have to supply it with?
                Peter, thanks for replying. as to the power, if you're talking about increasing the input voltage past 180VAC, I haven't decided yet. Probably what was suggested to me.

"use low voltages in the switchgear" , see, right there, my eyes become watery and my head starts to fall forward. no idea what you're talking about.

I've had some excellent advice and blew up my first DC controller. Not their fault.

Rob
                Rob

Comment

No Rob I mean what supply do you have out of the wall. The unit will work perfectly well on standard voltages, just that you'll lose some top-speed and some HP, but my other lathe caps out at about 1550rpm so it's not that big of a deal for me at least.

What's your wall supply?
                  Last edited by Peter.; 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
                    No Rob I mean what supply do you have out of the wall. The unit will work perfectly well on standard voltages, just that you'll lose some top-speed and some HP, but my other lathe caps out at about 1550rpm so it's not that big of a deal for me at least.

What's your wall supply?
                    220, 240, whatever it takes (an esoteric reference to Mr. Mom when asked what caliber weapon he has. Oh 37, 38, whatever it takes).

I've got manufactured 3 Phase with my RPC that runs my other machines.
                    Rob

Comment

Then all you need is to feed 240 into the drive and make a circuit like I am fitting to mine to do the field-weakening. I am talking to Parker tomorrow about how to best go about incorporating the field weakening and using the built-in speed controls.

I'm a bit green as you'll see but I'll willingly share everything I have warts and all - you just have to decide for yourself whether it's safe, suitable or even workable.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Peter, I'm eagerly waiting for the report from Parker.
                        Rob

Comment

I am watching this thread as well,
                          because I have a Hendey T&G with the genny drive
                          that I would rather convert to electronic drive.
                          I have 240v single phase in my shop and the
                          lathe spindle motor is 230v DC.

--Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

The reason you are not getting a lot of replies is you are really on the wrong forum. The place for technical support on 10ee's is over on practicalmachinist.

Do these drives have field weakening? If not they will not get over base speed. Also most single phase dc drives are only 180v out which again limits top speed. Best solution is vfd+ 3 phase motor or servo like I did.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
                              The reason you are not getting a lot of replies is you are really on the wrong forum. The place for technical support on 10ee's is over on practicalmachinist.

Do these drives have field weakening? If not they will not get over base speed. Also most single phase dc drives are only 180v out which again limits top speed. Best solution is vfd+ 3 phase motor or servo like I did.
                              thank you macona. I mentioned this in the first post. I was using a SECO DC drive that I blew up. So this request is because there are a lot of Michiganders here. You'll notice I didn't ask for help with the Parker SSD because I'm not going to wire it. I want to pay someone who has some experience.

BTW, the Parker does have headroom for >350V through using additional transformers. The Parker is a 3 phase beast just like the VFDs.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X