Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing a Vista Install from an old harddrive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a Vista Install from an old harddrive.

Ok my previous computer, well the magic-smoke came out of one of the capacitors. Motherboard is ruined. I was able to save everything else and put it into a new and better box... Better less-ruined motherboard and so on.

My old hard-drive contains much valuable stuff that I wish to keep as is, but since my NEW computer is freshly upgraded to Windows XP I want to delete all the Vista wank. I notice many folders are hidden and or locked... and I can't "just" nuke them.

So what's the trick here? Is there some tool or program I can use to disenVistarate the old hard drive without losing the important stuff?

I find it's easier to copy your old stuff off and just nuke (format) it. Xp might not let you have the same permissions required to easily remove the old Vista system files. If you'd put Win 7 on your new box would have been easier (for me).

Comment

When you conect your hard drive move the jumper to cable select then format it will take every thing off. To save whats on your hard drive click on what you want to save enter save to or send to a flash drive.
      MBB

Comment

Originally posted by WhatTheFlux! View Post
        So what's the trick here? Is there some tool or program I can use to disenVistarate the old hard drive without losing the important stuff?

To access files on volumes when the OS will not allow it , you need to "take ownership"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

using the takeown.exe tool via command line.

In Vista and 7 you can use the "Takeown.zip" pack which is the Takeown.exe program ans a registry fix to give you access through context menus. It may work on XP...but you still need the takeown tool.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

Rob
        Last edited by MrSleepy; 04-20-2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I filed the info away for future use -- this time I just copied what I needed and nuked the drive.

Thanks for the links and such.

Comment

Working...
          X