Can't get the rim off the axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get the rim off the axle

I know jack about cars. My pal has had a wheel bearing fail in a 300XZ I believe. He can't get the nut off the axle. I don't know any of the right words, sorry. Here's a picture if it works from Facebook. He's started trying to remove the nut forcibly so it's probably too late for the Right Way.

But why won't this nut budge? There were two flats on the axle. I am surmising there's a locking device in there somehow.

Last edited by Tony Ennis; 04-20-2013, 03:32 PM.

Do a Google search for the shop manual as there are a number of them available. If you cannot find one go to your nearest parts house and buy a vehicle specific Haynes, Chilton's, or similar manual.

Comment

Left hand thread?

Comment

Picture is not working for me Tony.
        Big difference if it's front or rear. Not having a photo I'm not sure.
        Either way I'm a little worried that your friend my be getting in a little over his head.
        Is there a cotter pin going through a castle nut?
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

It's the passenger's front wheel. There's no cotter pin.

Comment

looks like die grinder and double cut carbide burr time to me. take out the majority of two sides of the nut, without taking too many threads off the shaft. nut is toast anyway, and the axel threads can be cleaned up to work fine. . . . . and of course safety glasses and gloves. . . . those burrs are nasty things to work with.

Comment

I think the rim of the nut is usually hammered into the two flats as an anti rotation feature. Once you hammer them straight with a chisel you can put a socket on it. But the left hand thread is a possibility.
              Igor

Comment

Looks like a standard lock nut to me, air impact should have removed it without difficulty. Too late for that now. Like Davidh mentioned all you can do now is hope to save the axle.
                You will also be needing a press in order to remove the bearing from the steering knuckle.
                A proper shop manual is money well spent before starting a project...I'm sure your friend has already entertained that thought.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

What Willy said!

But from what I see there is no saving the hub either, looks like the threads are all gone on it as well. Just have to pull it out of the bearing and get a new or used hub and nut.

When I come across a stuck nut on axles or hubs like this I will cut a line in on side of the nut and use a punch and hammer to split the nut on the one side and then get it turning off.

Also like mentioned it could have been right/left hand threads.
                  Andy

Comment

I have seen axle nuts on some cars that will fight a 1/2" impact wrench all the way off. These were not rusted either. I have seen some loctited and lock nuts. May not be in this case though.

Comment

Looks like a replacement hub, bearing, shaft, and nut to me. This is where the Japanese get their revenge, my friend.
                      No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Go to michigan electronic libary yyou can look up you car and wont have to buy the manual i see if i can find the link

Comment

Here is the link http://galesupport.com/chilton_brand...lom_accessmich
                          You search on google for mel database then scrol and find chiltons open it and type in your car once open you have the options on what to select i mean the type of repair. All the rest of you Mechanics remeber the link, i use it

Comment

Originally posted by GEP View Post
                            All the rest of you Mechanics remeber the link, i use it
                            "This resource is brought to you by the Michigan eLibrary (A program of the Library of Michigan). Access to ChiltonLibrary.com is available only to Michigan residents. We can no longer authenticate users either through a library card or a Michigan drivers license because of increased unauthorized use of the database.
                            Access is only authorized by geo-ip verification i.e. the IP address of the user’s device will tell us that they are located in Michigan"

Do you live in Michigan by any chance ..

Rob

Comment

I have to do it 3 times because i am baking a pizza
                              The pic is not to good. Some times aluminum rims bond to the hub,brake drum or rotor. So take all the bolts out or nuts of and hit the tire i mean the tire with at least a 2 pound hammer it will brake loose if that is the case

Comment

Working...
                              X