No announcement yet.

What did you machine today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a new drawbar for the Deckel FP1’s dividing head - the thread is 20x2mm buttress thread. I am quite satisfied with the result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E546A6D9-1580-4C0D-A8EC-2C256342A13B.jpeg
Views:	456
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1836109

Click image for larger version  Name:	E3ADC24F-7E48-4539-85E2-D40D1AAE09B8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	32.3 KB ID:	1836105
    Last edited by Boats69; 10-30-2019, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Simple fix. Last Sunday evening, I snapped off the flexi hose on my oil can used on the drill press. It broke about an inch above the oil can fitting. It is a very small hose like fitting inserted into the end of the steel flex hose, and glued there by some kind of very hard epoxy.

I just cut the flex hose off where I broke it thinking I'd just clean off the fitting and reinsert it into the "good" remaining flex hose.

I darned near tore that fitting apart trying to pull the broken flex hose off of it so I could re-use it. About an eighth of an inch of that spiral flex hose remained stubbornly affixed to the fitting and refused to be torn loose with even the best of my pliers. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye what did I spy but......my small 10x22 lathe!!

Chucked the fitting up in the lathe, and with a sharp tool, managed to carefully peel away all of the hard epoxy, and remaining spiral flex hose it held, leaving just the original fitting! A little new JB Weld, and the oil can is back in operation!!

Not really much of a project, but was a practical use for a small lathe on a Sunday night..
      S E Michigan

Comment

• Made an arbor for a small slitting saw from a scrap piece of 1" diameter cold rolled steel.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	400
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1836483

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	404
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1836482

Comment

• Today I continued doing preventive maintenance on various things at my Mom's new (to her) house. I found (much to my chagrin) that the locks on her storm doors used different keys. On top of that there were ancient spider nests compacted in the keyway (and around the tumblers) of one. There were many "right ways" to tackle the problem, but since I needed to clean out the locks and lubricate the mechanisms I manually reshaped the tumblers so that all of them accept the same key.

Of course, along the way I lost an itty bitty spring and the minuscule rod that it pushes against to lock the crenelated nut that hold the cylinder in the lock body. I picked up a new rod and spring at home depot while getting my hand made key duplicated so mom would have more trouble loosing them.

Machining content: As fate would have it, the new one was .092 diameter and the hole was .07 something. Faced with sanding down the little brass rod or enlarging the hole, I went for drilling it out. It fit well now, but was too long by 1/4 inch. I clamped the poor thing in my harbor freight "clamp to the bench" vise and went to town with a small fine cut triangular file. It was not made for milling, but it did the job well.

All is back together.
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by danlb View Post
            getting my hand made key duplicated so mom would have more trouble loosing them..
            Oh that sounds like we're both having the same type of fun. Wish you luck. Nice job changing all the locks to be keyed alike. Anything that reduces complication is a good plan.

Comment

• Repaired a hydraulic flow & pressure valve for a machine at work. Constant use in one spot had worn the thread to nothing so I made a new control screw from 303 stainless.

Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

• I made a spare hex key for my emco 4 jaw. Ive timed myself and can clock a piece up between 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes I cannot constantly get the lower time. It frustrates me.

Name:	key.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1836737

Comment

• Bought a chuck to put tool marks in...

Comment

• More chopping...

Comment

• My buddy used a "sharkbite" connector as part of the assembly that connects the overflow valve to his drain. Unfortunately, the assembly was built wrong in many different ways. He could not get the $12 connector off the 50 cent piece of PVC pipe without a special tool. He asked if I had one that might fit the tight space (.203 inch) and was wide enough but not too wide. 1.045 to 1.050 across. If it was much wider it would not depress the sleeve that releases the bite. He could not find the proper tool at either of the big box stores.

It took an hour, but after eliminating all of my wrenches, bearing pullers, pickle forks and valve depressors I found the tool buried in a 2 inch diameter aluminum rod. All I had to do was to remove everything that did not look like the tool. For fun I started by using my lathe to drill a shallow hole with a 1 inch Silver and Demming drill. Of course the 9x20 lathe had no problems doing that. A quick trip to the mill allowed me to remove a section of one side, leaving the tool looking like a big shiny C.

It took him 10 seconds to use it. He may never need it again. Oh well. It looked good.

Dan
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by danlb; 11-05-2019, 09:08 PM. Reason: Added the picture
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• Dan, you're good friend!

Comment

• Made more of these the last few days. SouthBend Sweet16 Twin Gear Kits.

Also made another custom Gear Shaper Cutter. This one is for a Skip Tooth Spline. Solid Carbide.

And a gauge for aligning that Spline to another Spline -

And more SouthBend Lathe Twin Gears being Hobbed...

Comment

• This was exciting for me. We have been making our own gear shaping cutters for a little while now. But today, we got to use our first solid carbide gear shaping cutter. Designed and made here. This one happens to be for a Skip Tooth Spline.

Comment

• Turned down the OD of a EBC floating rear motorcycle rotor. Took about .320 off the OD.... mounted on the rotary table.
                              that left one of each row if the punched holes open, x 9... then I cut in with a flycutter about 200 thou with a 3inch dia flycutter to make it look somewhat like wave rotor, to match the fronts. NOW i have to make a caliper hanger to fit the supplied Brembo two piston caliper..
                              should be fun, feels good to be running machines again after a long time off them ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
                                This was exciting for me. We have been making our own gear shaping cutters for a little while now. But today, we got to use our first solid carbide gear shaping cutter. Designed and made here. This one happens to be for a Skip Tooth Spline.
                                I've been following along on instagram. Really good stuff man. I'm happy to see gear shaping still alive and well in the US.
                                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Working...
                                X