What did you machine today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
    I tried to blacken with a sharpie, but as you can see, I couldn't do it without streaks.
    Sounds like a job for a rattle-can to me. That's how I end up with black grass for a while
    Like the decorative fluting.

Comment

• Not today but turned up some simple aluminum spacers for a radiator and intercooler so I could get the factory hood latch to fit. I also had to cut down and rebuild the lower part of the hood latch for more clearance.

Andy

Comment

• I have a pair of Harbor Freight predator 3500 generators. They worked very well during the recent 3 day power outage. I read online that during very hot weather they may suffer a lack of ventilation. This can cause gasoline to be sucked up into the charcoal canister where it evaporates and causes the engine to run rich. The cure is a $15 replacement cover for the dipstick. The replacement has holes drilled in it.

I recalled that my mill had a whole bunch of spare holes stored in it so I made my own perforated covers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191111_164001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	1838051

Dan
        Last edited by danlb; 11-11-2019, 10:55 PM.
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• I'm almost embarrassed to call this machining as it's about as basic as it gets.
          However the end result is a tool that fulfills the requirement for the task at hand.

I whipped up a couple of scope ring alignment rods that will show graphically in which direction the front and rear scope rings are out of alignment. I was able to get these Leupold rings aligned quickly, although laying the scope in the rings prior to using this simple tool, everything seemed okay. Going to have to check some of my other rifles.
          I left a portion of the front rod unturned in order to check for clearance between the front bell of the scope and the rifle's receiver.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Willy Hey, it's shiny and got a point both on it and to it.... that's gotta be machining. Sounds like it may not need to be all that sensitive but if you made a ring to sit between the two points and had a rod pressed into the outside edge of the ring, that would magnify the error in the line up. You could rotate it to check left/right and up/down alignment too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willy View Post
              I'm almost embarrassed to call this machining as it's about as basic as it gets.
              However the end result is a tool that fulfills the requirement for the task at hand.

I whipped up a couple of scope ring alignment rods that will show graphically in which direction the front and rear scope rings are out of alignment. I was able to get these Leupold rings aligned quickly, although laying the scope in the rings prior to using this simple tool, everything seemed okay. Going to have to check some of my other rifles.
              I left a portion of the front rod unturned in order to check for clearance between the front bell of the scope and the rifle's receiver.

nice! Funny thing is that the first thing that came to mind when you said "scope" was microscope - took looking at the picture to realise you were talking about something else

Comment

• Need a little bit more then the standard drill bit could reach, so I cobbled up a drill extension had to be carefull not to load it up with to much swarf and keep the parallel part of the drill lubed , the extension was ok as it was a couple of MM smaller than the finished hole

Comment

• How about a closer look:
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by 754 View Post
                    Turned down the OD of a EBC floating rear motorcycle rotor. Took about .320 off the OD.... mounted on the rotary table.
                    that left one of each row if the punched holes open, x 9... then I cut in with a flycutter about 200 thou with a 3inch dia flycutter to make it look somewhat like wave rotor, to match the fronts. NOW i have to make a caliper hanger to fit the supplied Brembo two piston caliper..
                    should be fun, feels good to be running machines again after a long time off them ...
                    pics would be nice.

Comment

• Not built today, but I'm moving ahead on the surface grinder project. This is the balancer, with first and second generation weight carrier. I'm rough balancing the wheels, next I'll dress the wheels, and then final balance.

Comment

• Abusing the atlas.

Andy

Comment

• You're a braver man than I. I've had a couple Atlas lathes, a 10, and a heavy 12. I tried turning a brake rotor on the 12". Unable to control the vibration, even with bungee cords on the OD. I gave up in disgust.

Comment

• I held a rubber mallet against the inside while turning.
                            Andy

Comment

• I put a link in Gunsmithing...

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...97-custom-rail
                              Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                              9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• After five grueling days of ShopTetris­­for new to me machinery, finally got the next run of Nearly Silent SouthBend 16 Twin Gears done. Now I must go pass out. I'm BEAT.

Comment

Working...
                                X