What did you machine today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    After five grueling days of new to me machinery, finally got the next run of Nearly Silent SouthBend 16 Twin Gears done. Now I must go pass out. I'm BEAT.
    Nice metalwork. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

• Gorgeous as always Zahnrad. One thing I've wondered: how hard would it be for you to produce a herringbone gear? I don't need one, but it must have been expensive for Sidney to produce them back in the day. They must be shaped, right?
      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration

Comment

• Very nice. What did your setup look like?
        Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
          Gorgeous as always Zahnrad. One thing I've wondered: how hard would it be for you to produce a herringbone gear? I don't need one, but it must have been expensive for Sidney to produce them back in the day. They must be shaped, right?
          Hob (or otherwise cut) two helical gears in opposite directions and press fit them together on a common hub?

@Zahnrad Kopf: Nice. Wish my change-gears looked that good. No massive need to, but there's something nice about something made with pride.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRouche View Post
            Nice metalwork. JR
            Thank you, Sir.

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
            Gorgeous as always Zahnrad. One thing I've wondered: how hard would it be for you to produce a herringbone gear? I don't need one, but it must have been expensive for Sidney to produce them back in the day. They must be shaped, right?
            Thank you very much. Typically, they are made on special machines. ( Shapers and Planers )

Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
            Hob (or otherwise cut) two helical gears in opposite directions and press fit them together on a common hub?
            @Zahnrad Kopf: Nice. Wish my change-gears looked that good. No massive need to, but there's something nice about something made with pride.
            Thank you. Appreciate the kind words. I try very hard to maintain a certain level of aeasthetic quality in addition to technical quality in every job we do. It's important to me.

Originally posted by flathead4 View Post
            Very nice. What did your setup look like?
            Thank you. It looked a little bit like this... ( had to dig a little find the picture )

Comment

• Here is a pic of the brake I was working on for Gambler.
              I milled approx mm off the outer edge of the stainless rotor, then made the notches which eliminated one of the drilled holes.. to look a bit more like the other rotors on the Bike. The guy had a pic of what he wanted, so it closely resembles that.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 754; 11-27-2019, 04:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post

I saw today you were making the silent twin gears on your gear shaper. Any particular rhyme or reason on which you choose? Were they different gears? Or just trying to up production?

-------
                754, That looks really nice.

I continued work on getting a 5 ton arbor Dake arbor press back together that someone chopped the front end off on for a custom application. I've got to finish the clearance hole for the daisy wheel, do a little sawing, touch it up and it's done. It's been a lot of labor so far. I needed a 3.5" hole, so I ran a 2" bit in the Royersford and am boring it to size now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6990ECS.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	479.1 KB
ID:	1840544

Name:	IMG_6994ECS.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	1840545

Comment

• Got the 3.5" hole finished. Now it's just up just up to dad to debur everything, clean it up and mount it and the press will be back in service.

Name:	IMG_20191127_213249984_BURST001.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	1840720

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                    Got the 3.5" hole finished. Now it's just up just up to dad to debur everything, clean it up and mount it and the press will be back in service.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191127_213249984_BURST001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.6 KB ID:	1840720
                    Very nice work Metal,how big is your Arbor Press.
                    I see you mentioned 5 Ton Dake,Racheting style.
                    Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 11-28-2019, 01:52 AM.

Comment

• Thanks.
                      ‚Äč
                      That's right, 5 ton. Non compound, so it's got like a 5' lever on it. I'll post a picture when it's done.

Comment

• V shaped rollers for an unknown (to me) purpose.
                        304 SS, 2 1/4" OD with a 1.127 +.003 - .000" bore and a retaining ring groove. They are .88" dia. thru.

Comment

• Bented Look nice to me. Like shiny
                          Gotta love the rust resistance of SS. Similar to the "Must be carbide because.... better" mental trap SS was an issue for me because....well, you don't want it to rust, now do you.

Spent some of the day playing with a Veritas honing jig. Bought it a year or three back and have been whinging about the sharpness (or lack of) of my chisels on the very odd times I've needed to use them. Found the credit card size d diamond plates weren't bad for cleaning up the surface of my dad's old whetstones. I think one is possibly carborundum (sort or rust coloured - slightly pink/orange even) and the other I think may be slate (very soft - easy to scratch and scratches white).
                          Made much faster progress with a 1000 grit water stone than the course diamond plate. I reckon they're fairly lethal now :-D
                          Now if I can only work out a reliable technique for edges that aren't as simple as a chisel!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                            Bented Look nice to me. Like shiny
                            Gotta love the rust resistance of SS. Similar to the "Must be carbide because.... better" mental trap SS was an issue for me because....well, you don't want it to rust, now do you.
                            It was actually 303 SS, a world of difference from 304 as far as turning goes, it has a rather dull turned finish when compared to 304 or 316.

303 is well worth the added material cost if you have to make time on the job.

Comment

• Bented You mean that it doesn't look as pretty but is far less of a pain to machine? If so, that's worth knowing. I like some of the harder steels (higher EN numbers) for the reverse reason; it's technically harder to machine but the finish is so much nicer

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                                Bented You mean that it doesn't look as pretty but is far less of a pain to machine? If so, that's worth knowing.
                                Exactly, it is a free machining alloy designed for production work. Often called screw machine stock much like 12L14 steel and 360 brass.

Comment

Working...
                                X