No announcement yet.

What did you machine today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wowsers Tim! And to think, that's probably one of the simplest parts of the project

thanks for the clarification Zahnrad. I think a pocket watch would be a great challenge. To be honest though, I wouldn't be happier seeing anything less than double herringbone gears throughout

Comment

• My neighbor (Stan) has terrible luck with his disabled son's wheelchair. Today the paratransit bus driver broke a bracket for the seat back. Of course he called me to see if I could help. The bracket is a simple 6 x 1.5 inch 1/4 inch thick aluminum piece that was hinged in the middle with a roll pin holding it together. The pin broke in half and the tenon of the hinge broke too. The wheelchair shop told him it would cost $30 and take a week or more to get it.

We talked about the possible repairs. I have an assortment of roll pins, so that was just a matter of matching a pin to the hole, drilling it out if needed. As for the broken part, we decided that I could build up the aluminum with my TIG welder. Or we could cut off the tenon and weld a new one on. Or we could make an L bracket because the bracket is at a 90 degree position in use. Or we could make a new one.

We decided to do it the easiest way. Add a little weld material and drill through it. But just for grins, I traced the shape on a stick of aluminum first. Just in case.. I've been known to melt aluminum parts while welding before. Stan looked at it and said "We'll want to drill here, and radius these two spots. I could cut that shape on my bandsaw. Hmmmm". In no time he was drilling holes, sawing and filing. I just provided moral support and made suggestions when he did things the hard way. We got the part working in less than 45 minutes. Throughout the whole process he kept mentioning that he needs a small benchtop mill to make these things easier to make. This is the 5th or 6th repair we've had to make on this high tech baby stroller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wchair2.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	1853661Click image for larger version

Name:	wchair1.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	1853662
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• Whilst playing the mental tetris of how to join a pile of setup blocks together to provide support for a casting I came to a couple of conclusions:
        1. having metric and imperial blocks doesn't make the alignment any easier.
        2. you are always short of one pair of particular size.
        3. the metric (Stevenson) blocks having an even number of holes do not straddle my mill table T slots very well.
        The light bulb eventually came on, what I needed was some counter-bored holes in the center of a pair of metric blocks. I seemed to remember that the Stevenson blocks aren't hardened so that was good, now will an M8 counter-bore fit?

Name:	20200131_setup-blocks_iPhone_4373.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	1854029
        The top left was the first one, oops you can just see I found the threads of the cross holes, backed off a quarter turn for the others. I used a really tight 13.5mm counter-bore diameter to help fit them in, the standard 15mm would have been too large.

The bonus of the central holes is they now fit nicely lengthway along the mill table T slots (14mm):

Name:	20200131_setup-blocks_iPhone_4374.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	1854030
        And the tetris puzzle completed, two holes down, repositioned for the last two:

Name:	20200201_setup-blocks_iPhone_4376.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	1854031
        I'm now thinking what other butchery, sorry, hole patterns can I apply to make them even more flexible...

Comment

• Originally posted by danlb View Post
          My neighbor (Stan) has terrible luck with his disabled son's wheelchair.
          I do some "work of contribution" for a specific segment of people and it never ceases to amaze me the crap that they put out to the public, passed off as "quality". Going to be making parts for "off road" and "sport" chairs in the very near future and have been constantly disappointed at what is sold to these people.

Comment

• Made this quick and dirty tap wrench for a 3/4"-10 tap (or bigger). Square is 0.75"x2", and handles are 0.75"x ~13". I have a big tap wrench at home, but forgot to bring it in today. All my other wrenches at work only held up to a 5/8" tap and to be honest, in 12 years here I've never needed to tap bigger at work until now. No critical dimensions were harmed in the making of this tool, it was a build on the fly adventure. 14 holes today. Another 16 to be done next Tuesday, then I'll put it away in my box probably never to be used again

Comment

• didnt machine, but scrounged some material.
              did I do Ok, ? for $20 I pulled this out of a local fab shop, all aluminum.

Name:	20200212_155057.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	1855052

Comment

• Not too bad, but not really "suck-worthy".

Name:	HSM_image_7596.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	1855098If you would post your location I could send you some scraps for the price of a flat rate shipping box. Stuff like these pieces of 3/4" aluminum from a standard cell enclosure.

Name:	Standard_Cell_0681_800x600.png
Views:	238
Size:	933.2 KB
ID:	1855100

Name:	Standard_Cell_0683_800x600.png
Views:	234
Size:	841.7 KB
ID:	1855101

Name:	Standard_Cell_0690_800x600.png
Views:	236
Size:	987.3 KB
ID:	1855099
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Ringo 10 maybe, the one with tapped holes becomes a spacer but is handy.. sounds like your AL box is not very full.
                  ATW, I could be way off here, but I would stick a piece of flat bar in one of my T slots, or the knobs I make for such. Hang work part over table edge, and use 2 clamps to hold to table. Or put shims under it then clamp. WOULD THAT HAVE WORKED ? far far less setup.

Comment

• Parts, I have no idea what they do.
                    3.307" diameter 303 stainless.
                    This is the first end, internal and external grooves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post

I do some "work of contribution" for a specific segment of people and it never ceases to amaze me the crap that they put out to the public, passed off as "quality". Going to be making parts for "off road" and "sport" chairs in the very near future and have been constantly disappointed at what is sold to these people.
                      Ya, back in the day, I knew a man who played wheelchair basketball.. He said the most valuable member on the team was the mechanic. It is good that you are contributing to a worthy cause: people fighting hard to have a good life!
                      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                      Oregon, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                        Ya, back in the day, I knew a man who played wheelchair basketball.. He said the most valuable member on the team was the mechanic. It is good that you are contributing to a worthy cause: people fighting hard to have a good life!
                        I don't doubt that one bit. For someone unaware, that can be am amazingly brutal sport! They tend to beat the [email protected] out of each other!

Comment

• In 1983-84 my girlfriend was an Occupational Therapist, and I went with her to a Wheelchair BB game, where she knew some of the players from her work. It was amazing what some of those guys could do. I still send them a donation every year.
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                            Made this quick and dirty tap wrench for a 3/4"-10 tap (or bigger). Square is 0.75"x2", and handles are 0.75"x ~13". I have a big tap wrench at home, but forgot to bring it in today. All my other wrenches at work only held up to a 5/8" tap and to be honest, in 12 years here I've never needed to tap bigger at work until now. No critical dimensions were harmed in the making of this tool, it was a build on the fly adventure. 14 holes today. Another 16 to be done next Tuesday, then I'll put it away in my box probably never to be used again

Nice job Dan on the Tap Wrench looks good and strong,just curious why you don't power tap those.That's a lot of cranking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

Nice job Dan on the Tap Wrench looks good and strong,just curious why you don't power tap those.That's a lot of cranking.
                              Thanks. 2 reasons I didn't tap them in the cnc when I drilled the holes.

1: I would have had to make a tap holder anyway. Most of the holes I was pretty stretched for clearance and reach. See pic below

And 2: The apprentice was supposed to tap them before they got sent out for stress relieving. He got busy and didn't have time to finish (he did tap a couple), so they fell back in my lap. The 2nd job went out this morning for stress relieving so I have 16 of those holes waiting for me Tuesday morning.

You're right, it's a lot of cranking. Especially on about half of them where I can't make a full rotation. I'll eat a bunch of spinach this weekend

Comment

• [QUOTE=Dan Dubeau;n1855227]

Thanks. 2 reasons I didn't tap them in the cnc when I drilled the holes.

1: I would have had to make a tap holder anyway. Most of the holes I was pretty stretched for clearance and reach. See pic below

And 2: The apprentice was supposed to tap them before they got sent out for stress relieving. He got busy and didn't have time to finish (he did tap a couple), so they fell back in my lap. The 2nd job went out this morning for stress relieving so I have 16 of those holes waiting for me Tuesday morning.

You're right, it's a lot of cranking. Especially on ab
                                out half of them where I can't make a full rotation. I'll eat a bunch of spinach this weekend [/QUOTE

That explains it, enjoy your spinach lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X