No announcement yet.

What did you machine today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilled 70 holes in 1" steel and tapped M8 threads in 46 of them so far. Broke a tap. Embarrassed to say, I drilled a parallel.
    Last edited by Ridgerunner; 03-21-2020, 10:26 PM. Reason: change metric

Comment

• Cenedd-I split the difference between steel and alu (29/64 and 27/64, respectively) and used a 7/16 drill. Used some kind of tapping lube, started the tap in the drill press then continued by hand. It was an old but sharp 3 flute spiral point tap. No problems at all and the threads are a good fit.

Comment

• Thanks guys, appreciated. Sounds like I could have even gone as far as 11.5mm (29/64) by the sound of it to make like easier. This was a hand tap - beggars can't be choosers when you want to pay peanuts for what'll probably be a one-use tool for me. I did start it in the lathe in a drill chuck and I was expecting to get it at least properly started before having to hand tap it but had to move it to the bench vise and break chips about every half turn.
        Uploaded pic so you can see the result. It's aluminium rather than stainless but there's no metal to metal contact so it shouldn't cause galvanic corrosion. Just need to rig a constant angle sharpening system (I'm useless freehand) to put a respectable edge on it.

Comment

• Machined a 8 inch piece of 2' diameter 12L14 steel to 1.75 diameter -.0005 tolerance. Tapped a 1/2-13NC thread 1 inch deep in one end. It is part of some tooling to sharpen a large cutting tool. I will get to see the cutter Monday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stepside View Post
            Machined a 8 inch piece of 2' diameter 12L14 steel to 1.75 diameter ...
            Whoa - from 2 feet down to 1.75 inches! That's gonna be a big pile-a chips. Or is that 2 feet to 1.75 feet?
            Just kidding 😀😀

Comment

• Bob

You caught me. It was obviously inches but I need to proof read what I write. At least most of the spelling was correct.

Pete

Comment

• Last night I milled my first cuts on my milling machine after having repaired it. Just some light cuts using an improvised hold down method. This is also the first time I've cut metal on a mill, so this is also my first mill. It has been a steep learning curve, I got the bloody thing in 2018 and now first it's done. My first project will be hold downs for the vise.

Comment

• Great looking Dennis. That applies to the machine and the test pass.

Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• woohoo, congrats Dennis, that must feel good!

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                      ... My first project will be hold downs for the vise....
                      A classic dilemma - you need hold downs to make hold downs.

Also: nice work!

Comment

• I don't recognize that mill, but it looks like a very good quality one that's in very good condition. Congrats!
                        Kansas City area

Comment

• Congrats DennisCA on finishing your refurbish&rebuild,I followed your progress along the way.You did a lot of work making it like new again,WELL DONE!

Comment

• Thanks everyone. Been fiddling with it and taking heavier cuts now, here I am working on the hold downs for the vise

Comment

• Bronze bearings, 6.999-7.000" OD, 5.887-5.880 ID X 3" long. 8 parts.

Turning bronze makes for a considerable mess, generous flood coolant helps knock the chips into the pan.

Last edited by Bented; 03-26-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• Made four extra bobbins for my wife's 150 year old spinning wheel. Made these on the metal lathe. Ground high speed tool bits to match the concave pulley and the radius end.
                                Now she can double ply her yarn.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6512.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	1864179

Comment

Working...
                                X