What did you machine today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Not exactly machining, but when I went to replace the rear wiper on my Honda Fit, the replacement blade did not fit the arm. I tried removing just the blade, but it did not fit securely. When I tried to separate the blade holder from the arm, it cracked and broke off. So I made a bent metal bracket from 0.093" aluminum, similar to those on the front, and now I just need to cut the end off the arm and screw the metal bracket to it. Should work OK.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcA1H_Cb00w
    Oh no!
    Too late.
    Clumsy Bastard.

Comment

• Thanks for the video. I haven't cut the arm yet, so I ordered a complete blade assembly from NAPA. It was list price $12.99 but I got a $5 discount for signing up as a rewards member.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	70DDD7DD-8022-4339-B78A-0007A2DFB274.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	1903515

Click image for larger version

Name:	248CC324-8DA8-4053-8583-1A2FFCF3DD07.jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1903514

Took an obsolete wheel flange like the one on the left and made a two-sided tool. One side sets a seal and the other presses a bearing down the axle with the cover on it. Looks cool because some of that 5-spoke effect is still there.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20201006_172553.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	1903521

Comment

• Nicely done RB, is this switch to zero the axis? Were you also going to put in an overtravel switch to safeguard against runaways or crashes? Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by jmm03 View Post
              Nicely done RB, is this switch to zero the axis? Were you also going to put in an overtravel switch to safeguard against runaways or crashes? Jim
              It's a Metrol Japan homing/limit switch. Have one on each axis. They are high quality, highly repeatable(2um)switches that originally were developed with Toyota for the auto industry in automation tasks for the assembly lines.
              I have soft limits with the Acorn to prevent over travel. Only a severe case of lost steps would cause issues with that. All of my tool heights are based off that switch, which reminds me... I need to re-measure my tools....

Comment

• Victaulic grooves in 6 inch SCH. 80 PVC pipe, these have to be cut because they can not be formed in PVC.

These are Victaulic's published dimensions for this application, nicely loose tolerances. The person that drew them used 3 decimal dimensions then gave 2 decimal tolerances for most, go figure (-:

Last edited by Bented; 10-08-2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Finished the Ball Turner that I got plans for from Bruno Mueller. Took me several days at a hour at a time, but it all worked out Ok. Had to make a few changes to fit the material I had on hand. I made a couple of test cuts with it, just rounded the end of a piece of aluminum stock and it worked great. I am ready for the next time I need to turn a ball. When the urge hits me I will shine it up a little.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1903944 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0533.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1903945 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0534.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1903946 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0535.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1903947 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruno ball turner drw.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	946.1 KB
ID:	1903948

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                  Oregon Coast

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                    Started to replace the 3D printed homing switch mounts with ones I'm CNC'ing. Here's the X axis, identical to the 3D printed version. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_172636.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	684.0 KB
ID:	1903102
                    one tip to be picky (and macro photography is pretty unforgiving) is to countersink your drilled holes before tapping them. It provides some space for the cut/ formed thread to move into so it doesn't stand proud of the surface. Also helps with getting the screws started too.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post

one tip to be picky (and macro photography is pretty unforgiving) is to countersink your drilled holes before tapping them. It provides some space for the cut/ formed thread to move into so it doesn't stand proud of the surface. Also helps with getting the screws started too.
                      On that particular part, that was on the Bridgeport and I hand tapped it. Going forward, now that I have a good recipe for the 4-40 thread mill, will counter sink first before thread, although I don't think thread mills have that issue.

Comment

• lugnut Nice. Know who to farm out ball turning to now. What are your mates rates?! Like the hex key racks on the back of your lathe too. Hadn't thought of hanging mine like that - although mine is already full of tooling hung by the QC dovetail that likes to throw itself headlong into the chip tray from time to time. With two sets I guess you've already found that the size you need is always the one you didn't put back and can't find! You'll often hear in my shop the cry of "FFS it's bright day-glo yellow, how can I not find it?!"

Comment

• Lugnut, on your ball turning tool could you use a boring bar type tool or are those the wrong geometry? Nice work. Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by jmm03 View Post
                            Lugnut, on your ball turning tool could you use a boring bar type tool or are those the wrong geometry? Nice work. Jim
                            Jim, what I have for the cutting tool on this one is a section of a 3/16 drill bit. The boring bar type tools would be way too big. I have seen ball turners that use a whole boring bar tool as part of the tool holder.

Oregon Coast

Comment

• I machined some potato wedges with my teeth today. I had quite a few rejects- about half I'd say. Worst batch of wedge fries I've ever seen.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• Originally posted by darryl View Post
                                I machined some potato wedges with my teeth today. I had quite a few rejects- about half I'd say. Worst batch of wedge fries I've ever seen.
                                Are you trying to machine those potato wedges with carbide tooling when you don't have a rigged enough machine?

Oregon Coast

Comment

Working...
                                X