Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow . Thats all I can say.

Comment

• Actually J Tiers I have moved on from the old round column Enco mill that I started with. I now have a Grizzly knee mill about 3/4 the size of a Bridgeport but all the work is still by hand cranking the handles, no CNC. For those of you that have followed my work you know that when I learned my trade many years ago all the hand machining and finishing was the norm so I'm just carrying on the tradition. At some point there won't be many that know the old ways of machining.
      gbritnell

Comment

• Originally posted by plunger View Post
        Wow . Thats all I can say.
        Agreed. WOW. I bet it is completely functional just like the original.

Comment

• A masterpiece for certain.
          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• First attempt at non-circular turning - Any shape addition. (this happens to be a cam shape)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201018_132348.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	1905644

Comment

• Originally posted by gbritnell View Post
              Actually J Tiers I have moved on from the old round column Enco mill that I started with. I now have a Grizzly knee mill about 3/4 the size of a Bridgeport but all the work is still by hand cranking the handles, no CNC. For those of you that have followed my work you know that when I learned my trade many years ago all the hand machining and finishing was the norm so I'm just carrying on the tradition. At some point there won't be many that know the old ways of machining.
              gbritnell
              Very impressive Mr Britnell,I need you in my Farm Shop to school me but I'm sure you would have me in the corner wearing a pointy hat in about 5 min lol!
              Joking aside absolutely AMAZING ,KUDO.

Comment

• What the customer calls adjusting bolts,
                1" plain steel hex, 7/8-14 RH threads then a .750" diameter, 8 3/4" overall length.

35 parts.

Comment

• I finished the fabrication on my caliper brackets to run dual discs on my old 33.4 Sportster type front end. Now I have to decide on a blasted or polish finish.
                  They are 3/16” 304 stainless
                  Last edited by Tim The Grim; 10-25-2020, 10:03 PM.
                  Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                  9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Today I added three extra holes to an after market flex plate that is destined for a friend's 427 Chevy that he's putting into a 1972 Chevy truck. As it came from the factory the flex plate had a dual bolt pattern but only three holes per size and he wanted to use all six holes as a stock factory flex plate uses. Since I wanted to be as accurate as possible it did take me awhile.

Comment

• Mr Britnell,
                      I remember back when I rebuilt numerous manual transmissions while working at a dealership in the early 1980’s
                      Since all of these vehicles were still in warranty, I would disassemble and then order the fried synchro rings and meshing gears. Mostly they were smaller 3 and 4 speeds. Back in the early 80’s.... manufacturers were selling a lot of standard transmissions and advertising higher gas mileage specs. So a lot of people were buying these vehicles and unfortunately these buyers never drove a standard before. They just tore a lot of them up.

Anyway.... enough of the reminiscing. I only want to assure you that there is nothing simple about your tranny build. Gorgeous work sir. I am in awe. That tranny build is coolest of cool In my opinion. And nothing simple at all. Beautiful work !!!

Comment

• I finally got around to making adapter plates for the rotary tables.

Comment

• Strange...if I click on the "1 Photo" link in mrain33's post I get a page of photos going back to 03-26-2017 but not all the photos that have been posted. Software, eh?

Comment

• I machined a 3 point implement frame for new pins using a Cincinnati Bickford radial drill press. The original pins were allowed to get loose and the holes were distorted to an oval shape. The frame weighs over 200 lbs, perfect job for the radial.

Comment

• not machining. not yet.

Libre Office Draw. when you print a drawing the printout is surprisingly accurate. design on paper before committing to metal. fine tuning a drawing for a sled to clamp to the the XY table. make an almost flat mount to bolt a jig to, reduce setup time squaring things up repeatedly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bented View Post
                                What the customer calls adjusting bolts,
                                1" plain steel hex, 7/8-14 RH threads then a .750" diameter, 8 3/4" overall length.

35 parts.
                                Those look very similar to Primary Clutch puller that are used on Snowmobile Engine Clutchs,they thread into Clutch and end bottoms out on crankshaft to remove from taper.

Comment

Working...
                                X