Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You forget the penny!

Comment

• Brass and wood would be a nice touch. But then you might not give it to your son.

Worked well on a plumb bob I made, you can see the vid in my youtube channel.
      Steve

My youtube:
      http://www.youtube.com/MyShopNotes

Comment

• Miner, you're right - although I didn't quite forget. I'm suffering from good ol' CRS... cannot for the life of me remember where I put that wheat penny.

Steve, I'm thinking I'll use aluminum... been casually researching design of some of the more exotic yoyos, and that seems like the way to go. Perhaps heat blued steel for the exposed parts of the center axle... and of course it would have to have fittings for stunt pegs.
        Max
        http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

• Oh and there's another thing I machined today... I machined my first ever long taper, and then I turned my second ever long taper immediately after that, on the same part. I made an adapter to go from the proprietary taper of my Rivett lathe tailstock to #1 Jacobs taper, to fit a cute little Rohm chuck I had kicking around. It came out great... actually the tapers were such good fits I had difficult separating the mating pieces during test-fitting. This was also my first opportunity to turn between centers on the Rivett. Fun stuff. I certainly would like to have a taper attachment someday, though.

Anyway, that was sort of a test piece... with that behind me, I need to make a few other parts to fit the Rivett taper: A JT33 adapter, a half center, a crotch center, and finally a small live center.
          Max
          http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
            damn, that's a beautiful bit of work Stefan.

here's my latest effort and many evenings worth of work - another split clamp for my commuter bike, this time to hold the top of the front mudguard.

original

split clamp

adapter bolted on (trying slotting with a round nose end mill, hence the funny bit between the bolts)

on the bike for a test fit

one more widget to make and then I'll try my hand at anodising all of them at once.
            this is great...
            Hobbyist: someone who makes something sound harder than it is.
            Professional: someone who cant afford to be a hobbyist.

Comment

• Hi guys , I am new here my name is Steven from South Africa, this is what I made the last couple of days. , it works very nice, thanks

Comment

• Hi Steven
                Welcome to the forum. Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what that is.

Comment

• Looks like a silencer for a rifle or pistol. Nice work! Welcome to the Forums.
                  Kansas City area

Comment

• If that is a "Silencer", I'm not to sure we should be praising highly illegal items. Just saying.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                    Oregon Coast

Comment

• Originally posted by ledna View Post
                      Hi guys , I am new here my name is Steven from South Africa, this is what I made the last couple of days. , it works very nice, thanks
                      Is that a silencer? Thats awesome. Whats it like in South Africa? Did you design that yourself? What kind of gun does it go on?

Comment

• Hi yes a silencer, I made it from a combination from what I wanted and seen on the web, it is for my 6.5x55, South Africa has its problems but it Is home and the hunting is nice

Comment

Hi yes a silencer, I made it from a combination from what I wanted and seen on the web, it is for my 6.5x55, South Africa has its problems but it Is home and the hunting is nice
                          Just curious. What are you hunting that you need a silencer? mmmmmmn........maybe you shouldn't answer that!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Shooting just about anything with a silencer can make it a touch more pleasant. Especially when killing the rats in the woodpile outside Grandpa's house at dawn. Grandpa sure didn't like waking to gunfire outside his bedroom.

I don't hunt, but I hear that it's nice to be able to bag the first critter without spooking the others.

And last, but not least.... I sure wish that the guy next to me at the range used a silencer for target practice. I jumped each time he fired a round.

Dan
                            ( grandpa had a farm)
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• Firts in South Africa it is not illegal to build and shoot silencers, you dont need a special license for it, we use it not to scare other animals with loud noises and we bow hunt a lot and use silencer on a pistol for when we get to the animal and it is not dead yet we shoot it with the silence pistol the kill it and not to make a noise

Comment

Firts in South Africa it is not illegal to build and shoot silencers, you dont need a special license for it, we use it not to scare other animals with loud noises and we bow hunt a lot and use silencer on a pistol for when we get to the animal and it is not dead yet we shoot it with the silence pistol the kill it and not to make a noise
                                That would be really useful on your average USA backyard filled with rats.

Comment

Working...
                                X