No announcement yet.

What did you machine today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 9th grade Metal Shop project. ‘68. Originally drilled to 5/16. Corrosion from hundreds of firecrackers required opening up to 3/8. Thousands more crackers and black powder did its worst. Today I drilled it to 10mm and installed a stainless tube liner that brings it back to 5/16. Ready for the 4th.Click image for larger version

Name:	91EB6171-6617-4327-AC7B-B13456073185.jpeg
Views:	434
Size:	789.1 KB
ID:	1949781
    Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
      My 9th grade Metal Shop project. ‘68. Originally drilled to 5/16. Corrosion from hundreds of firecrackers required opening up to 3/8. Thousands more crackers and black powder did its worst. Today I drilled it to 10mm and installed a stainless tube liner that brings it back to 5/16. Ready for the 4th.Click image for larger version

Name:	91EB6171-6617-4327-AC7B-B13456073185.jpeg
Size:	789.1 KB
ID:	1949781
      That's pretty cool. Looks like we're the same age! Looks like the Tims are getting kinda ancient
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

Comment

• Did a test grind on a dead center with the Monoset. Looking pretty good. Top one is the regrind, bottom one is "before" condition: bead blasted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210702_185218.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	1949788

Comment

• Originally posted by eKretz View Post
          Did a test grind on a dead center with the Monoset. Looking pretty good. Top one is the regrind, bottom one is "before" condition: bead blasted.

Name:	20210702_185218.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	1949788
          Looks nice! I'm redoing some tomorrow with a TPG.
          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• I too built a small cannon in Shop Class ..around 1969..
            I been working on my lightweight chain adjusters.. finally.. started on this a few years back.
            A set going to OZ soon.. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210618_103446.jpg
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	1949859 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210618_103454.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	1949860

Comment

• Fired the Yacht Club cannon to begin the 124th July 4th annual Parade at 10:00 this morning, I did not personally pull the trigger.
              I would not have warned them, 10:00 am means 10:00 am (-:
              https://bented.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-tBnC95F/A
              Bented
              Last edited by Bented; 07-03-2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• Just a bit of machining but I finally finished up this simple little thing that I have had half done for too long:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5898.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	1950036
                It's an adapter that I can plug into my round 7 pin trailer socket on my truck, The other end fits a cigarette lighter plug to power stuff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5899.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	1950037

I bought the trailer plug from the local NAPA place, and a bit of experimenting showed that a piece of 3/4" copper pipe is a good fit for a cigarette lighter plug. I made a plastic washer out of some UHMW sheet for a tight fit in the bottom of the pipe and rolled the rear edge of the pipe over to keep the washer from pushing out. A flat head screw in the countersunk into the center of the washer with a wire attached to the back makes the center contact. I soldered a wire to the copper pipe for the ground.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5897.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.41 MB ID:	1950038

I attached the wires to the ground and 12V contacts on the plug.

I made this to run one of those small cheapo air compressors that I use to inflate the airbag spring helpers I have on my truck for when I load heavy stuff in the back, which happens fairly frequently. It saves me from stretching the cord and hose from the cab all the way to the back of the truck, where it would barely reach. Works great.
                alanganes
                Last edited by alanganes; 07-04-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Neat little unit, alanganes. I was curious if there's a commercially made unit like that and...there is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                    Neat little unit, alanganes. I was curious if there's a commercially made unit like that and...there is.
                    It's funny that it never even occurred to me to look to see if there was something like this out there. I guess my DIY reflex is a bit over the top, like most of the people here. It's such an obvious thing that I could not have been the first person to think if it, I just never thought to search for one. But as I like to say, if I can't over-complicate a simple thing, why have all of these tools and machines?

Comment

• Originally posted by alanganes View Post

It's funny that it never even occurred to me to look to see if there was something like this out there. I guess my DIY reflex is a bit over the top, like most of the people here. It's such an obvious thing that I could not have been the first person to think if it, I just never thought to search for one. But as I like to say, if I can't over-complicate a simple thing, why have all of these tools and machines?
                      I can definitely see the attraction in building one yourself rather than buying one, I'm sure we all do, but I'm also equally sure many of us who might have a real use for one would prefer to just buy it due to time restraints more than anything else.

I still like yours!

Comment

• the dissatisfaction of buying poorly made objects usually outweighs the time one spends building it yourself...

Comment

• This odd little part took entirely too much time to make. Many dimensions that are hard to measure, features inside and out that are related. Got a good deal of use out of the micrometer stop. The simple part next to it took nearly no time.

Some sort of air conditioner adapter, for a guy I know.
                          J Tiers
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 07-05-2021, 08:46 PM.
                          3313 5160 4357 4344 3174 9120

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Birds are NOT real, they are spying on you

Comment

• Premachined some parts. Gotta get bronze overlaid on the I.D. before finishing. About 5⅜" O.D. 3¾" I.D. 4140 Q&T.

Name:	20210705_194051.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	641.0 KB
ID:	1950213

Name:	20210705_164405.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	1950214

Comment

• Gorgeous surface finish mate.
                              21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Well, they're shiny anyway. That's easy on 4140 Q&T though. Probably about a 250 Ra right now, since they're just roughed out. They need to be 32 Ra when they're done. I'll post a finished photo when they get there if I remember.

Comment

Working...
                                X